RSAE
Silver
Silver

12V 3.0L dyno runs

Post by RSAE »

Hi everyone-

We made it to the dyno this afternoon and were able to dial out a lot of problems with our Go-Tech curves. The root of our troubles was a huge portion of the rpm range having too great of ignition advance which was causing major fluctuations in output power. With that ironed out and some tweaking of the fuel curves we finished the day (naturally aspirated) with 170 rwhp and 174 ft-lbs of torque. We are really happy with the results-

Video of best run: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppds1rAW20U

Sorry for the dyno map photo- the computer this was run on didn't have any export abilities aside from printing. Also, we are having some oil smoke issues with the car- way too much of it. Our best guess is that we have been running too rich during the break-in period and washing down the rings, so they haven't seated yet. The rings are brand new, head has all new valve guides and stem seals, and the liner honing is only 1000 miles old. We are tentatively optimistic at this point that a proper ring seating procedure will yield positive results. A leakdown test is on the schedule anyhow. Open to hear ideas...

In other news, we received the last piece to finish the supercharger install. Obviously though, we can't install and run it whilst burning so much oil. Stay tuned...

-damen
Rice University Society of Automotive Engineers
www.RacingOwls.com
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

What was that sound when the pull stopped? Sounded pretty loud, like almost a bang.

Also is this car with 8.8:1 pistons, shankles, and stock cams? If so, that is pretty good. Was the A/F very steady?

My car didn't consume much oil after about 3000 miles. In fact nowadays, it doesn't consume oil (knock on wood), with Castrol Syntec 5w50.
RSAE
Silver
Silver

Post by RSAE »

We get some pretty solid back firing on lift-off (or at rev-limiter in this case). Dual 2.5" exhaust with only 2 bends per side, no cat, 1 straight-through glass-pack style magnaflow (w/ integrated x-pipe).

Close- reduced compression, ansa headers, greg gordon intake, aforementioned exhaust, and go-tech standard. Stock everything else. Glad to hear about oil consumption after 3k miles...

-damen
Last edited by RSAE on Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rice University Society of Automotive Engineers
www.RacingOwls.com
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

If you can hold back the dread, fire up the newly built engine with the rings and bore TOTALLY DRY, NO OIL, GREASE OR ANY LUBRICANT WHATSOEVER. Have some monograde oil in the sump of required capacity. The rings will bed in much better.

After about 1ooo Km, change oil to multigrade of your preference
You got no choice but to re-hone and start all over again.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Nikoror
Gold
Gold

Post by Nikoror »

we're not THAT much in a hurry :lol:
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Good job Damen!
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

The only thing that worries me is that your car smokes after 1000 miles. Even when my engine had 400 miles, it didn't smoke. In fact in never smoked.

My mechanic told me, either the rings seat in the first few miles or it doesn't. I guess mine did. But it's not a certainty, some engines take longer time to break in.

Probably a good idea to do an oil change now, just use regular dino oil for now. Later on, put in synthetic oil.

For the backfire, maybe you can check how the rev limiter kicks in. On my car I made it soft. You can't even feel it, just that the revs doesn't go up.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

I agree with Zamani, medium weight(automobile) non syn oil for break in...