Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

No problemo bud !!Ill call,we can chat.. :D
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

You were spot on there Barry,it look's the business. :D

Guy's I can vouch for the brakes and the power.Barry took Dwayne and I for a spin on Saturday.Boosting only 0.3Bar right now,it already hauls ass.Barry gave us a brake test and my sinus cavities have been problem free since then... :lol:

Since then all I can dream about is turbo's on my current 3.6... :twisted:

All in all fantastic job there once again Barry.
"Racing is life,everything before and after is just waiting."- Steve Mqueen
Carel
Silver
Silver

Post by Carel »

oh come on guys.....my mouth is watering...I cant wait for mine to get finnished....Barry we have to make a plan soon to get that car rolling again...lol
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Very nice, I love the color and the old school louvered hood.

Greg
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

Carel great to see you back on the site my boet.Thanks for all those sms video clips from the A1 GP this weekend. :D

Trust me,if Dwayne's baby is already running so sweetly Mr B is going to build you a pearl of an engine.
"Racing is life,everything before and after is just waiting."- Steve Mqueen
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Are you doing any dyno testing Barry?

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Ecu and injectors, lightened.....plays music.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Not for a while...Running the car for a while first..Mixtures I do on the road and then we drive,drive,drive !!
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Ive been having Oil pushing into the cooling system here.
This little engine is soooo good and its just responding so well to everything I throw at it..except for this nagging oil in the coolant tank..
So yesterday I decide to pull both heads off..much as I did not want to,I had to.
Yup,found the bugger,an "o" ring was juuuust not sealing on the LHS head oil way..Mmmmm..
Its all part of the game I suppose..
She will be running soon again...
Attachments
DSC00348.JPG
DSC00348.JPG (145.73 KiB) Viewed 6582 times
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

That's too bad Barry, but on a project of this magnitude, it's not really a big deal. It looks like you are doing a great job.

What kind of pistons are those, and what compression ratio?

Greg
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Greg,These are the easiest performance engines to build.. :wink: The pistons are stock std. 30l pistons on a std. 2.5 crank.This drops the piston down by 1.85mm and gives a cr of 8.2 :1.
You can see in the picture where the piston turns around.

As stated before,I would go cast piston wherever I can in all engines UNLESS
I have no choice and need a custom job.

I have proved that back to back the tighter clearances of the cast piston makes more power and has less leak down than either hyper eutectic or full forgings.

You will note that I run her very rich under boost..At this stage its purely a safe guard while I feel her out..The fuel will be reduced to performance levels later on.
Attachments
DSC00350.JPG
DSC00350.JPG (148.34 KiB) Viewed 6529 times
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Greg,These are the easiest performance engines to build.. :wink: The pistons are stock std. 30l pistons on a std. 2.5 crank.This drops the piston down by 1.85mm and gives a cr of 8.2 :1.
You can see in the picture where the piston turns around.

As stated before,I would go cast piston wherever I can in all engines UNLESS
I have no choice and need a custom job.

I have proved that back to back the tighter clearances of the cast piston makes more power and has less leak down than either hyper eutectic or full forgings.

You will note that I run her very rich under boost..At this stage its purely a safe guard while I feel her out..The fuel will be reduced to performance levels later on.
Attachments
DSC00350.JPG
DSC00350.JPG (148.34 KiB) Viewed 6530 times
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Baz,

Never got any email from you.

BTW, are those pistons stock with no machining on the crowns? They look really flat, like a 2.5 piston. Or maybe just the photos...
Dr. Alban
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I like the idea of starting way rich and backing off later. I am sure stock cast pistons make a little more power as a result of the tight clearances, however I prefer custom forgies for the extra strength and the non interference factor. Of course it would be a boring forum if everyone here did everything the same way.

The pistons in the picture look like they were milled a little, although the shadows in the picture make it tough to tell.

Greg
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Zman,send me a blank to alfaengines at gmail please..

These are South Africa specific Greg..We had very flat 30l pistons with a very shallow combustion chamber here..
We never got the 75 engines with the high domes and big combustion chambers here,,There are some floating around ,imported by some guys,but not ever offered for sale here..
Attachments
DSC00352.JPG
DSC00352.JPG (139.52 KiB) Viewed 6520 times
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

OK, that makes sense. As Zamani said, our 3.0 pistons have a shallow dome to them, and the heads have a different combustion chamber than the 2.5s. These were 3.0s build for the Milano Verde/75 3.0s and later cars. I think the South African 3.0s were closer to a 2.5 bored and stroked via the Autodelta instructions. I don't know for sure because I have never seen one.

Those 2.5 pistsons I sent you pictures of have worked out really well. I was concerned because of the radical design. I will put further details on my site and on my latest thread soon.