jornmason
Silver
Silver

Post by jornmason »

where can i get one of these? what is it called? come on guys dont keep us all in the dark, were all here to help each other!
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

www.mapecu.com

speak to Peter...

Tell him where you heard about it... :wink:
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

GTV6GPTT
Gold
Gold

Post by GTV6GPTT »

Daniel wrote:
I ceartainly wouldn't drop my standard Bosch dual knock sensing, idle & A/C controlled, 6 coil setup computer for a cheap-ass aftermarket job. Getting rid of the flap afm would be great (and good at US$400) but the only full aftermarket system I'll look into would be a MoTec or equivalent and that's 10 times more without tuning.
If this little system works, then I'm interested.
you have got no idea mate.

:?:
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

While this product is somewhat interesting, I don't see how it can work on a GTV6, Milano, or any other L-Jet car. A 164, or newer Alfa, no problem.

I also don't see the point in this product when you can get GoTech, for just a little bit more, or Megasquirt for about the same amount. Either one would give more capability. Gasp! Does that mean GTV6GPTT and I almost agree on something?
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Greg,

I think Daniel has a GTV6.... 24V Bosch Motronic M4.1L.

But for L-Jet, yes, no point with this stuff. Just get a standalone. All it does is output 0-5V and so should work with L-Jet. Although I do agree, why bother on an L-Jet??

I'm thinking of getting this for my 164S and 155, both with Motronic.
Daniel
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Daniel »

You're also right GTV6GPTT, I obviously have no idea but what do you expect. I'm only a mechanical engineer and do all of my own work on the car, not pay someone else a bucketload of money to bolt on bits.
This seems like a product that seems within my level of understanding but then again, maybe you can give me some idea :?

Dead right Z, I have an '84 GTV with '94 164 3.0 24v in it. Also have done a 164 12v swap into my Dads '85 GTV complete with the motronic. Neither of these cars started out as GTV6's so I must have some idea 'cause I did the conversions, including TS trans and WORKING speedo, myself. :P
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

I have an '84 GTV with '94 164 3.0 24v in it. Also have done a 164 12v swap into my Dads '85 GTV complete with the motronic. Neither of these cars started out as GTV6's so I must have some idea 'cause I did the conversions, including TS trans and WORKING speedo, myself.
I can vouch for that !! To my knowledge, he was the first one to get a Veglia speedo head working on a Jaeger sender properly.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Our problem is that the big motor is continually blowing maf sensors.If I can replace the maf with something else,I would be happy to do so.

Ive now spent a few hours on the software and find it s still a bit intimidating.But so too was the first Motecs and Haltechs I worked on..

Greg,I personally would take the features and brilliant controll of the std production efi systems over ,and I say this with respect to the guys making these units,Cheaper less specced stand alone efi systems..

There is nothing in this world like having perfect starting and idling ,to name but 2 features,on a cold miserable winters morning and have the engine purring and ready go...That is part of the features I enjoy in sytems such as the Unichip and hopefully,the map-ecu.Its not a clean sheet of paper setup..

Ive got my Haltech e11v2 setup damn close to perfect,but thats just it..its only damn close...I still sometimes notice odd little things while driving or starting.....Then its out with laptop and datalogs....I have been finetuning this Haltech for the last 2 years it been in my car...

Now this should get GTV6GPTT all excited and boiling....Before you hit the keyboard,Im talking of getting the system as perfect as I can..OEM quality here..There is NOBODY in this whole wide world that can spend a week on the dyno and say the programming is perfect..no one...its an ongoing thing of diminishing returns.....

Why not start out with a perfect system and simply tailor it to the application??

I must also admit that older cars such as ours can only beneit from an aftermarket system..lets face it,these were dinosour systems...
Daniel
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Daniel »

The other part to keeping the factory computer is that here in sunny Queensland (and soon in all of Australia) to stay legal, you retain the factory setup or put the modification through the full ADR testing. This includes aftermarket turbo / supercharged setups, computers, exhausts etc. I don't fancy trying to get an aftermarket system tuned to meet emissions etc to meet those rules.
And as you say Barry, it starts and idles perfectly.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Dan,put on the firesuite mate..I can see a shit storm comming.. :wink:
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

TT has the same ideas I had a few years back. Why run two or three boxes when you can run one?

The tuning on my engine still needs plenty of work, but half of it is the cams. Good luck taming them, pretty much.

But, my BMW mates have always favoured re-mapping or intercepting th factory ECU for road cars because of the overall quality achieved. DIfferent for a race car running big boost or cams
Fixing it bit by bit....
Mezevenf
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Mezevenf »

Daniel wrote:The other part to keeping the factory computer is that here in sunny Queensland (and soon in all of Australia) to stay legal, you retain the factory setup or put the modification through the full ADR testing. This includes aftermarket turbo / supercharged setups, computers, exhausts etc. I don't fancy trying to get an aftermarket system tuned to meet emissions etc to meet those rules.
And as you say Barry, it starts and idles perfectly.
You have a GTV6? As in, before 1987? You are exempt from emissions testing...

Anyway, who's going to know you've changed it? You dont require a yearly inspection in QLD unlike here in NSW. And I doubt the cops would pick up on the aftermarket ECU, they probably wouldnt even know what the car was.
Bernard M (AKA Mef - Mezevenf)

1986 75QV 3.0L 24v V6 - Silver
1985 GTV6 2.5L 12v V6 - Red
1999 166 3.0L 24v V6 - Red

NightSpec
GTV6GPTT
Gold
Gold

Post by GTV6GPTT »

the main computers we use come in 2 models both running the same hardware, one is basic one is advanced.

the point is the basic one does just about everything the advanced one does but it is a unit best used to "piggyback" on a factory computer, by doing this you tap into the stock system sharing sensors and such.. only taking control over fuel and ignition. you also have aux. inputs\outputs to do as you wish (boost control, shift light etc, nos) this method is the most popular due to the cutdown if redoing factory work that the standard ecu does perfectly (idle control, boost control, stepper control, idle air, ect)

then the advanced ecu has allot more functions to be able to handle all the extra sensors on the newer cars, 8 inputs\outputs, sequential etc.

both ecu’s have load points you can set and choose your self:
0-100-500-1000-1500-1520-2000,etc

this is a basic example of the large range out there all simular, but watch out some are just as cheapo headache.

Just remember this is the brain of you engine, picture a person with less of a brain… is how you want you car to run?
Andrew.b
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Andrew.b »

GTV6GPTT wrote:the main computers we use come in 2 models both running the same hardware, one is basic one is advanced.

the point is the basic one does just about everything the advanced one does but it is a unit best used to "piggyback" on a factory computer, by doing this you tap into the stock system sharing sensors and such.. only taking control over fuel and ignition. you also have aux. inputs\outputs to do as you wish (boost control, shift light etc, nos) this method is the most popular due to the cutdown if redoing factory work that the standard ecu does perfectly (idle control, boost control, stepper control, idle air, ect)

then the advanced ecu has allot more functions to be able to handle all the extra sensors on the newer cars, 8 inputs\outputs, sequential etc.

both ecu’s have load points you can set and choose your self:
0-100-500-1000-1500-1520-2000,etc

this is a basic example of the large range out there all simular, but watch out some are just as cheapo headache.

Just remember this is the brain of you engine, picture a person with less of a brain… is how you want you car to run?
Soooooo, what system is it that you run and rate very highly??

Pricing??
Dearley network??
does it come with a finished loom for an Alfa V6??

Please advise.....
Andrew b