streetfame
Silver
Silver

BOOSTING MY 3.0L GTV6 ENGINE TO THE MAX!!!

Post by streetfame »

i have a gtv6 3.0l engine that i'd like to max out completely. i'd like to run it without any forced induction, keep it fuel injected and use 94 pump gas. so far the only mod i have decided on was to increase the bore to 3.3 (can i go more?)

any experts with any advice from top to bottom? please let me know. this engine has to be maxed out

regards,

streetfame
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

You have a long and expensive road ahead of you...

Welcome to the club!! :lol:

You wont get too far if you only run 94 octane. You wont be able to rev the engine with any meaningful ignition advance, because the octane wont support the combustion. So, by doing that, you're limiting your ability to run angry(ier) cams, because you will need to rev to make use of the cams. It just means you wont have a revver of an engine.
Not so bad- my 2.5 engine only makes meaningful power between 5 and 8000. Starts to get interesting at 4, but without the torque, Ive had to go to shorter gearing to keep it snappy, and up on cam. Ive lost my freeway cruiser as a result.
In the end I find myself looking towards making my 2.5 a 3.5, or getting a South African built 24v 3.7- you need torque for a good streetcar! If you can use at least 96 or 98 RON (we have 100 RON pump gas out here now- no more trips to the airport) then the fuel will support more aggressive WOT timing to higher in the RPM range, and possibly leaner part throttle mixtures too. Great for closed loop freeway driving in the 80-120km/h range.

You could go to a 3.3 or 3.5, with six throttles, head porting and valve work, and a set of mild cams, like American S cams, or Australian 75 Potenziata Cams. Then if you dont want to run forged pistons, you could, from my understanding, find yourself a set of cast pistons in the bore size you want, and have a set of rods made up to allow the compression you want. Fit aftermarket injection, and you have a nice engine- probably give you wheelspin through first and second.

Or stuff the purists, and go for a mild type of forced induction like Greg's blower kit. Cant go wrong there... torque torque torque and HP to boot.
Fixing it bit by bit....
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

:D Like Jules says-The easiest and cheapest is to go turbo or Greggs supercharger setup..

The std 2v head does begin to be a problem regarding flow the bigger the engine capacity gets..
24v is the answer..

Hey Jules..
streetfame
Silver
Silver

Post by streetfame »

thanks for the reply and helpfull info. by no stretch am i a purist! screw them. i hate stock and original. BORING. i guess i forgot to mention that i don't even own gtv. i have a 91 spider and have already mock fitted a 3.0 litre gtv6 inside it!! my mechanic ran the idea past me with race fuel. sounds to me that would be a good idea.

you mentioned a south aferican 24v/3/7 litre whao! how much are they? how does that engine's size compare to a 3.0litre gtv6? do you think it would fit in my spider??

the only reason i'm cautious of forced induction is that i don't want to be blowing head gaskets. i was originally planning on adding a vortech supercharger and intercooler but the cost might not warrant the fact that i'll be roasting too much rubber accidently. i'm not into burn outs or having so much wheel spin that i can't even get the power to the ground and hook up!!

so would you say that the max bore would be 3.5 litres on a 3.0 litre gtv6 engine? someone told me "s" cams from the 164 would match up nice. then just forge some hi comp. pistons with liners, rings, upgraded injectors....ect

i know this is not cheap! man. i've been saving for the longest time to create something trully unique. let me know what you think. any additional info would be awsome!

thanks bro,

streetfame
Attachments
verric's monster spider @ modena sports cars 001.jpg
verric's monster spider @ modena sports cars 001.jpg (71.18 KiB) Viewed 11889 times
streetfame
Silver
Silver

Post by streetfame »

who's this greg guy and how do i find info on him?

streetfame
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Greg Gordon

http://www.hiperformancestore.com/

PS! Nice project
streetfame
Silver
Silver

Post by streetfame »

thanks micke,

now i remember this guy. i spoke with him several months ago. very nice guy and very informative. however, i've recently decided against any forced induction. i'm using the 3.0L GTV6 engine and i really don't want to stress it out and start blowing head gaskets or crack the block. if i did the charger route, a roots style will not fit in my spider anyway. i'd have to go with something from vortech for example - much more compact. plus, i can't just put a little power. i'd have to have a whole wack cause i'm a "driver." these cars are meant to be driven, and driven hard! something tells me my engine would not last too long and these 3.0L's are not easy to come by.

i'm gonna stick with some straight boring to a 3.3 with some cams from sperry, custom pistons from venolia, ect.... i'd like it streetable, with good torque but not so much that i'm having to replace my rear tires every month!!

streetfame
DaveH
Gold
Gold

Post by DaveH »

I am just dying to ignite the flame thrower. :twisted:

Must exercise restraint.....
streetfame
Silver
Silver

Post by streetfame »

DaveH wrote:I am just dying to ignite the flame thrower. :twisted:

Must exercise restraint.....
thanks for your honest comments dave. i welcome any and all messages. but c'mon...getting upset over what you have no control over is just wasted energy.

streetfame
DaveH
Gold
Gold

Post by DaveH »

streetfame wrote:thanks for your honest comments dave. i welcome any and all messages. but c'mon...getting upset over what you have no control over is just wasted energy. streetfame
You're absolutely right.

Now try using the search tool on this site and the AlfaBB. All the info you need is out there.

So where did your 'fame' come from?
jrreeve
Gold
Gold

Post by jrreeve »

Play nice...its an honest question....a bit uberrzealous (i invent words)...but honest.

I'm sure we have a ton of archives from the old board if you go to the main page and access them from there. It would be nice to have a consolidated and easily accessable guide to building a, for lack of better word, "boosted" 3.0.

I would also suggest talking to a serious Alfa engine builder....Sperry has "retired" but Spruell is still around. If you are serious about it, I would talk to them about procuring the parts you need.

Rob
streetfame
Silver
Silver

Post by streetfame »

thanks rob,

i checked paul's site out and came across some good info. thanks for the hook up. respect.

streetfame
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Get a 24V.
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Damn Z...it's hard to take anything you say seriously with that Austin Powers piccie.....!

But yeah, getting a 24v helps!
But Streetfame... blowing headgaskets is what happens when an idiot force induces a motor... Greg's budget blower setup has all the makings of a monster you can drive....

for example.... its all setup on L Jet. So when you ditch the L Jet, fit a set of lower comp pistons, a set of good extractors, a better exhaust and a good intercooler, you will be able to make more power with the same amount of boost, and possibly less fuel.

You will only have to crack the engine open once- when you fit pistons.... no cutting the block etc. etc.
Fixing it bit by bit....
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Gregg`s s/c setup is super sano and reliable.Obviously the more you freshen the engine ,the less chance of blowups..Headgaskets blowing at 7psi???
And looking at the pic,im sure it will fit like a shilling in a sheeps ass...

I think you underestimate the guys on this forum,they all pretty damn know what theyre doing and all have something to add...

except ol Barry,he just plods along...

I do however tend to agree with you on the n/a route here..Spiders are terribly tail happy with big power ( A couple of 2.0l turbo`s..)
With the added weight of a v6 and big torgue,I dont think you will need forced induction...

Then again,as a "driver",you can handle big shit like that....so ,turbo and get it over with...its a hell of a lot of fun... :D