Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Re: 3 liter, 24 valve engine project

Post by Greg Gordon »

Wow, those dyno numbers look great. The fuel mixture looks good too. I wouldn't worry too much about the slight change in mixture at the high end, that's really insignificant.

Greg
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Do you realize that you are probably not at max HP rpm yet?
Looking at the power and torque curves there might be 10-20 hp if you rev it out.
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

Micke wrote:Do you realize that you are probably not at max HP rpm yet?
Looking at the power and torque curves there might be 10-20 hp if you rev it out.
Micke:
The map shows max RPM is currently set to 6767- though the graph does not show this for some reason. The engine did hit the rev limit during the test pulls. We decided that the dip seen at the top of the rev range tended to indicate this was max HP RPM.
What do you suggest for a red-line? I dont think the stock 164 LS engine is allowed to rev beyond that and I do want a reliable engine... even at the expense of some power.
Michael
1981 GTV6
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

First thing is to check where the difference comes from. If your engine thinks its revving 6770 and the dyno thinks it is 6300 somethings not right. 50/50 which one.
I'd say the dip comes from letting go after redline and the smoothing makes it look like it does. Looking at the torque curve it's not on its way down yet.

Your engine should be mechanically the same as mine (164) which has a stock redline of 7000. With a tuning chip it is raised to 7300. A well built and balanced engine shouldn't have a problem with this.
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

Hi:

I cannot believe its been a year since I last posted.
The car is running pretty well - but I have not had much time to work on the tuning - my work life is seriously impeding my ability to play :-)
Recently I have considered selling my GTV6 in order to fund a SOVREN GTV race car project. Anyone interested in buying? Essentially a (very) modified GTV6, with a 164LS engine (read this thread to understand what that means), big brakes, RS Racing suspension, roll bar and 15 years worth of effort.
At this point, I'm just considering it so let me know what you think :-)
Michael
1981 GTV6
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Michael, thats a real pity. This conversion with all your set up makes and absolutely awesome car. I have started using mine(same set up as yours) as a daily driver and its really confortable. Even more than a 156GTA. The only thing I did was remove the front anti roll bar for road use. My mapping and cold starting is so perfect that If you just finished your fine tuning I beleive you will not part with it.
Hope you charge a fortune for it. :cry:
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Michael, don't do it. Cut the leg off instead...just make sure its not the middle one. :D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Melvivio
Gold
Gold

Post by Melvivio »

@kevin : Why did you remove your antiroll bar? To make the car less stiff ? Can't imagine its better to drive that way...

I believe it's not allowed in Holland to remove it...
Black '80 3.0 24v GTV6. Flawed maybe, But absolutely glorious!
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

Removing the antiroll bar is not a problem for the APK. :wink:

I believe Kevin has an RS suspension setup on his car and that is probably stiff enough to reduce bodyroll so he doesn't need the ar-bar.

For my roadcars i always used a 30mm ar-bar coupled with yellow koni's or bilstein. RS is to expensive for me at the moment. :oops:

The 75 racers over here often remove the rear ar-bar to get a better feeling. :?
Drive it like you stole it...
zulu
Silver
Silver

Post by zulu »

michael....you can't sell the car. have read this entire thread, what you have experienced is typical of conversions, who said they are easy. if they were , everybody would be doing them. the hicups/issues are outwayed by the pleasure you will get when she is running sweet....besides it's character building (yours that is)....just keep chipping away
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

Hi:

I am preparing for a track day - first one in years!
There is a Pacific Raceways lapping day on September 2nd. I will use that as a shake-down test for the engine and to see if I like it.

I still have the old engine... worst case scenario I can reinstall that.
12v3Liter.JPG
12v3Liter.JPG (162.87 KiB) Viewed 7284 times
Zamani has first dibs on the headers if I can ever bring myself to part with this engine!

Right now I am preparing the car - changing the brake fluid, getting a leak in the radiator fixed. Details to follow...
Michael
1981 GTV6
MerrilGordon
Gold
Gold

Post by MerrilGordon »

Hi Michael !

Note, the track day is Wednesday September 1st.
Looking forward to seeing you there.

For all you folks on the East coast USA, SoCal, in OZ, SA, Europe, and elsewhere too far away, Alfas have driven Pacific Raceway this year in the Seattle area for free ! And that includes lunch. I think a total of three times. Best deal I've had in years.

Cheers,

Merril
82 GTV6 3.0
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Free lunch? No way, document this as it will be the first ever in history. :)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

Thanks Merril - September 1st it is - see you there :D
I got the radiator back today - so I am ready to put it all back together this weekend.

Yes the free track day was a nice surprise - I think the club is really desperate to get Alfas and besides, its the 100th anniversary of the founding of the company this year.
It did prompt me to pay my AROC/NWARC club dues again.
Michael
1981 GTV6
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

As I left for Pacific Raceways at the break of dawn, the Alfa starting misfiring - and I could not find a simple solution for it so missed the track day :(
I think the plug wires I am using are not ideal - they are just the Magnecor 8.0 mm wires I bought for the 12v engine. The spark plug end boot is too tall so the gasket does not seal properly against the valve cover. This allows water to enter and then the plugs misfire. Anyone have any advice on which type of spark plug wires to buy?

Also, I bought some 16" Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 wheels - much lighter! Pics to follow.
Michael
1981 GTV6