Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New V6 3liter 12v pistons.

Post by Zamani »

I think Mats complained about the non-EVO manifolds (cracking? and not so good design?). But have not heard him blowing a HG (consider that I have VERY limited knowledge on this engine here).

But it would be nice to have a 2.0 TS Turbo in the engine bay.

JK, what do you think? 2.0 TS T? More trouble than it's worth??

What about 2.0 Nord with 9:1 static compression + a snail?
Dr. Alban
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

I wouldn't want to re-invent the wheel Z, if the 1.8T works, use it! The 2.0 Nord has thinner liners and meeds special pistons, plus you need all the ancillaries (harness, ecu's, ex.manifolds etc). A TS sounds nice but only one guy here has a light-turbo one. And these engines need more involved mapping, chips are not readily available for this use.
Kevin, with the special head gaskets these guys here use (rings+outside) they've not had any failures. And believe me, due to their ages (20-30-something) they beat the crap out of their toys every chance they get (daily if they can help it, by organizing illegal meets) but not the track -they're not interested in that- prefering the straight line instead. There are quite a few running around with bigger turbos, remapped Cosworth/Lancia Integrale/155Q4 electronics, 70mm exhausts. Most make a reliable ~250-300hp without problems and they haven't even opened up the engines except to install the good head gasket! For the most part, this is the route I'm taking for mine, but with many other improvements like cams, head, 9:1 CR, water/air I/C, thermal coated manifold/turbine, TD rad/fans and other details. We'll see how it turns out. I've selected the turbo for max boost at ~2800rpm -thats what the calcs say anyway- and for the best possible response in street driving. Max power was never a concern as long as it exceeds 260hp, for the 1200kg (max) car.
Jim K.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

JK,

Problem is, as you know, finding a 1.8T and shipping it over to the US. A TS engine here can cost $3K after all is said and done. Seems like they're almost worth peanuts in Europe.

The 2L engines on the other hand are all over the place, even in the chicken coop, and I think the standard compression is 9:1. Sounds like a perfect candidate if you don't want to go past 300 bhp or anything nuts to crack the liner.

Only big issue for me is the turbo manifold. The inlets, intercooling, etc, Greg's here, so not a big issue. This thing has definitely got me thinking. Fuel injection wise, I'll just use my Autronic.

Still waiting for the results of your recently rebuilt 3L 12V though :)
Dr. Alban
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Yes, the std "single plane" manifolds are all cracked (all I have seen anyway), I have one in my garage off of my old 75 T, I can take pics if youre interested.

Now, I have a 2.0T in the works, but is still quite a bit away from a dyno tune. Still waiting for a decent set of pistons, but hey, it was only last october I ordered them, why complain. :lol:
Once I get something working I'll probably just expose the whole thing in a separate thread. The whole kebab, BOM and all.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

oooh yes 2xx hp, 4 cil for the N'ring 75 :arrow: me likes, you guys almost got me interested in turbo's...
For the moment I keep telling myself that more power is bad for developing better driving skills and I'm not in the phase that I need to cover up my lack of talent :lol:

But every time I'm faster out of a corner and a dumb ass driver in a modern car opens the throttle and leaves me on the straight.... I f#&%^_(&) especially when I'm again in his trunk the next corner

Sadly enough turbo engines are also pretty rare and wanted here + at the moment no room for another project :twisted:
Banned.. ? ;-) Daily donky.. ==> BMW 325d Image
E36M3 (3.0) Ringtool :twisted: ==> definitely BANNED!

AR 75 TS Ringtool '90, AR Spider 2000 veloce '79
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

No problem Mau,
You build a nice road-going 280-300hp 1.8T with 1050-1100kg (you don't need Recaros, a/c and big speakers) and for training, you cut boost to ~0.6bar, right? In time of 'combat', weight/power ratio is not bad at ~3.8kg/hp :twisted: :twisted:
During Xmas, drive down here with your car and you'll return to Dutchland with a 1.8T engine in the trunk! OR, you can fly here and buy an entire car for 1800-3000Euros, depending on condition.

Z, for the new 3liter I'm waiting for two sets of custom valves from G&S Valves (UK), to the tune of 670Euros... :( They quoted 6-8 weeks.
Jim K.
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

Yes, big problem.... It is the same as proper alignment, coil-overs and thicker ar bars for the transaxle. Ones you 've got access to the power your not going to be satisfied with less. :lol:
Banned.. ? ;-) Daily donky.. ==> BMW 325d Image
E36M3 (3.0) Ringtool :twisted: ==> definitely BANNED!

AR 75 TS Ringtool '90, AR Spider 2000 veloce '79
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Mats: You have been waiting 10 months for pistons! Who the heck did you order them from? I have both JE and Venolias in 8.5:1 for the 2.0 Nord and it never takes more than a couple months to get them, usually it's about 3 weeks.
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

All right, let's get back to some 6cyl stuff. Here are some pics of the current build. I'm stuck at this stage as like I said, I'm waiting for custom valves from UK and a crank scraper from Ishihara-Johnson. The rotating assembly was of course balanced appropriately for the different component weights.
Jim K.
Attachments
Topside view. Notice the little black dots on top of the liners...it denotes the point of larger bore dimension. Difference can be up to 0.01mm even in NEW liners.
Topside view. Notice the little black dots on top of the liners...it denotes the point of larger bore dimension. Difference can be up to 0.01mm even in NEW liners.
P7170009.JPG (210.17 KiB) Viewed 6646 times
3liter Short block...of course the crank pulley is degreed!
3liter Short block...of course the crank pulley is degreed!
P7170007.JPG (211.47 KiB) Viewed 6645 times
THS/JK rods and JE/JK pistons
THS/JK rods and JE/JK pistons
P7170001.JPG (213.92 KiB) Viewed 6642 times
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

Lovely picturess, nice to see the progress, I definetely love those pistons, tiny skirts on them too :D
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Greg Gordon wrote:Mats: You have been waiting 10 months for pistons! Who the heck did you order them from? I have both JE and Venolias in 8.5:1 for the 2.0 Nord and it never takes more than a couple months to get them, usually it's about 3 weeks.
Sure I got pistons...
Too bad they were identical to the sample I sent them ignoring the 2-pages of changes...
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

Mats,

If you sent in a stock 2L one, does that mean you have pistons which will result in 9:1 static CR?
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Mats: Who did you send them too?

Greg
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Hmmm, same story; that's how the skirts in mine ended up so small! I wanted a way wider one for longer life but I was unpleasantly surprised :o when I opened the box...they will have to do!
Jim K.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

75evo wrote:Mats,

If you sent in a stock 2L one, does that mean you have pistons which will result in 9:1 static CR?
Yes, beautiful set from Ross. Really nice quality but stock everything except the slightly lower skirt.

Greg Gordon wrote:Mats: Who did you send them too?

Greg
Venolia and Ross.
Broke off with Venolia after not hearing from them after 3 month.

JimK, What about the coating on the crown, did you specify that? :|
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!