Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

And here we were all told that size doesnt count ,hey Jim??? Gotto tell me missus this....
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

OK that's it.

My 75 is going to the crusher.

I'm going to get an DC2 Interga Type R with a hybrid B20 block and B18C heads, TODA cams, mugen headers and exhaust, HONDATA chip. oh and LED "euro" lights.

Been great, but Alfa has no VTEC

See ya!

(BTW, this car will crush an E30 M3 2.5 16V Cecotto Ravaglia or whatever)
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

It's sad that Alfa did not match BMW's engine development in recent years.

However... and apples to apples comparison should not pit the GTV6 motor against newer motors from Japan, Germany etc. In an apples to apples comparison the GTV6 compares to early 80s Supras, the 280ZX, pre 1990 300ZX N.A. etc. Against those cars it's fairly competitive.

Sure it's tough to beat the latest offerings from Japan, especially if they are modified. However a stock or nearly stock GTV6 will stomp on a 80s Honda Prelude or any other 80s Honda.

For what it's worth, my GTV6 although no longer stock can beat a lot of newer cars in a drag race and I think it will beat a stock or stockish E36 M3. I hope our Verde (now on a major road trip somewhere in Colorado) will be able to take an EVO VIII or STI, I think it will!
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Oh, yeah? :twisted:
Well Z, have you ever heard of a car called "YUGO"? Its -or was- a Yugoslavian made Fiat in the 80's/early 90's.It doesn't exist any more (hell, the whole damn country don't exist no more!!) One model was a bit smaller than the Fiat 127 and lighter. What some drag pros (not drag queens,please!) did back then, is gut it out (what was left of it) stuff a Deltona Integrale engine in WITH NOS and wait for the next sucker, heheh (possibly driving a...DC2 typeR :lol: ) They earned a living doing crap like that! You see Z, no matter what you drive, there's someone out there with (admittedly)a piece of shitt waiting to blow your doors off big-time! Again: a man's got to know his limitations! :lol: (Coolly said by the great Clint Eastwood!)
Regards,
Jim K.
(Try beating a SOHC Ford 427 on a moped!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: )
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

The Yugos in this country have a lot of potential performance. They are really light and just about any Fiat motor bolts right in. I have a Yugo transaxle in my Fiat 128 and it's been extreemly good. People may laugh at you but if you wan't to build a fast front driver on a budget a Yugo is a good candidate.

Now as soon as I get my supercharged 2.5 into my Fiat 600 using the Porsche transaxle I will blow you all away.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Did you all actually believe me?
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Of course not. I was just trying to put things in perspective.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Hey my car's been performing well.

http://www.arosc.org/competitionresults ... TT0304.htm (with lots of oversteer due to worn rear Hoosiers)

http://www.arosc.org/competitionresults ... TT0204.htm

All with ye olde engine too.

This car nearly matches a race (ok club race) prepped M3. OK driver maybe not so good hehe.

This May I go to Buttonwillow yeah!

So I guess the DC2 ITR can wait for now. :)
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Hell Z,And here I thought you finally saw the light........(heh heh....)

Greg,yout absolutely correct.we shouldnt but unfortunately we do.Compare that is.In the 70`s Chevvy developed the pinto with the 16v motor-for the life of me I now cannot remember what it was called-Jim??-to do battle with the Alfa`s,BMW 2002,Ford capri`s etc.(DAMN,THOSE GROUP 1 COSWORTH CAPRIS FROM ZAKSPEED WERE QUICK!!)Quicker than the formula 5000 engines at the time.....anyhow,I digress.....

Unfortunately as I said earlier,when that bimmer pulls up next to you and you feel the horns start growing(no Joey,not that one)its kind of difficult to say,aw,let him go,my car was intended for old 70`s and 80`s cars......
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Hey Jim,scuse the pun, but you greek boys do have a bum rap,huh??
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Hey Barry, the Chevy you're referring to is the Cosworth Vega, which had a great little engine (all the money was in the cyl.head). AR should learn from that head, especially the valve adjustment method used with their followers-ULTRA practical!!!)

Barry, as for the "Greek boys" thing...rumor is, tourists had better wear steel pants when they visit here...!!! :lol:

Zamani, I went by this used car dealer yesterday and the salesman (some guy called Greene), is trying to sell me a stange looking car with a ridiculously large central exhaust pipe for a good price. There's no Alfa badge, it just has this giant "thrust II" painted on the sides! Weird looking thing, no trunk and no spare tire, looks like a lemon to me, I think I'll pass! :lol: Now the Yugo thing....just maybe! Greg, I didn't know they sold those things in the US!!
Jim K.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Zamani wrote:
This car nearly matches a race (ok club race) prepped M3. OK driver maybe not so good hehe.
What was the original spec. of the M3 in the US?
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Hey there Z,
Since you're going to spend some $$ going to a track in May, why don't you join us at the 'Ring instead, on May 15??? That goes for you too Mats, no excuses! We're gonna be happier than pigs in a mudslide, hahah!! :lol: :lol:
Maurizio,Andrew,Micke, where are you guys?????
Jim K.

Mats, I think the M3 never had 6 throttles in the US.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Race the weekend before... Need new tires. :(
Probably should change that slave cylinder too, and buy a new set of brakepads.

Count me out on this one boys. After the summer maybe? :)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Jim,I think Alfa looked at the Vega cam adjustment and did something simmilar for the Sud.......Excellent idea.....

BTW,brilliant on the thrust thing.....Might be a bit difficult to park.....