Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Re: New V6 3liter 12v pistons.

Post by Maurizio »

:mrgreen: ok, but why start a lesser design...so who starts the TS (turbo/supercharged) project. :wall:

And forget about the 6 cil there are people who race lorries..... :twisted:
Banned.. ? ;-) Daily donky.. ==> BMW 325d Image
E36M3 (3.0) Ringtool :twisted: ==> definitely BANNED!

AR 75 TS Ringtool '90, AR Spider 2000 veloce '79
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Mau, your problem has been solved right there in Holland by 90-95%! Why don't you call VdWereld (spelling??) and see what refinements you want to make? I'd be happy with a TS with specs like the ones he sent for the book! 217hp, 32kgm with std 10:1 CR?? They didn't even open up the engine!
BTW, where's the right thread for all this %&*#!!?? :?:
Jim K.
killaz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by killaz »

Maybe this topic could be splited into two usefull topics instead of one confusing? I4 discussion could really open some new horizons. :)
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Maurizo:

I don't understand your "why start with a lesser design" comment. I could argue that every Alfa engine is a lesser design at this point. I suppose I could shoehorn in a 2JZ, that would be superior to any Alfa production engine.

I am supercharging the Nord engine because that's what's in the all the Alfa Spiders in the U.S. and I am working on an Alfa Spider supercharger kit.

Greg
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

I had a head all ported and done with stainless valves so the choise was already made. ;)
My 16v will stay buried for now.

L850 anyone? 8)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

Greg Gordon wrote:Maurizo:

I don't understand your "why start with a lesser design" comment. I could argue that every Alfa engine is a lesser design at this point. I suppose I could shoehorn in a 2JZ, that would be superior to any Alfa production engine.

I am supercharging the Nord engine because that's what's in the all the Alfa Spiders in the U.S. and I am working on an Alfa Spider supercharger kit.

Greg
:lol: I knew I would start this with my comment, just poking around.

What I meant is that a TS combustion chamber is nicer to start with as a nord.
Á nord looks cheaper to upgrade wrt to a ts (when talking NA engines).
I guess Nord vs TS for build costs with forced induction that doesn't matter/is the same. Greg I like your concept, just add on to an standard engine! Pity your market has no ts.

I stick to the alfa's. If I would change brand and had the budget, I would buy a bmw 1series and slap r-tires on and ready to go! :twisted:
For now I keep improving my driving/suspension/car in the handling department.
When everybody else is driving circles around me just because of a lack off power and talent...... and when I find the budget, forces induction is the way for me and my trackday TS.
Banned.. ? ;-) Daily donky.. ==> BMW 325d Image
E36M3 (3.0) Ringtool :twisted: ==> definitely BANNED!

AR 75 TS Ringtool '90, AR Spider 2000 veloce '79
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Back on topic , how do i get in contact with seller of the pistons advertised for v6 3.0 12v on this forum. (10.5 CR).
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

JK's new dome shape or Paul Spruell (http://www.paulspruell.com/) flat top pistons? Both 10.5:1.

But JK's also have really short skirts I think (I think he was thinking of REALLY SHORT skirts for something else, but accidentally wrote it in the piston specs :lol: )
Dr. Alban
slyalfa
Gold
Gold

Post by slyalfa »

Mats wrote:First time I've ever seen a radiused crown from JE, nice.
Not to sure about coating on the crown though, why did you opt for that? All I heard about it is that it makes the engine very sensitive to pre-ignition without any real gain in performance.
is it Pre or post-detonation?
I could see a lot of knocking if the timing was not reset. I think it makes for a faster burn. And if that is the case then you get more power with less timing.
but just drop them in and not change anything I could see it knocking.
now if it is pre or self-ignition then we all will agree that is very bad.
1987 black Milano Verde
1972 White spider 2000 Veloce
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

I would like to try rebuild a 75 3.0 12v motor for track day but its the first time I have seen this type of engine as we never got these here in South Africa, we only had the autodelta convrsion 3.0 for the old 2.5 motor so thes eparts are not the same.(different dome shape due to cylinder heads). I need pistons with max 10.5 cr due to our fuel here. Also would like to know if alfa made and differnt version of the 3.0 75 with higher cr ratio that are off the shelf parts.
Im not sure at this stage where I am going to order any parts for this engine from ?
There will be some budget on this motor in terms of pistons as impoting here is frightening(Rand / dollar) thats why doing 24 v conversions is much cheeper.
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

the 164 QV(200bhp, higher comp/different cams/ larger AFM/ different programming, best 12v engine IMO) model had higher compression, as did the SZ/RZ. The 91/92 model 75 QV with Motronic could have the higher compression but i'm not sure...
Drive it like you stole it...
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Thanks for info .
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Kevin,

If you already have a 75 3.0 engine, why not just shave the heads? You will get 10.5:1 without having to deal with importing anything. Then for adjusting the cams, just do what JK did with the pulleys.
Dr. Alban
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Z, the motor is shot , ie it needs to be redone so i would like to not do any skimming at this stage. Most of the stuff i would like to do in stages. If I dont come right then maybe I might have to this.
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Kevin, You can get similar 12V pistons without any coating and fuller skirts from A.Walter (Scuderia del Biscione, France)
I think they're ~2000Euros :shock:
You can mill the pi$$ out of the heads, I've taken 1.6mm off. Converting to 'cheapo' adj. pulleys is very easy.
My suggestion is to use the Motronic system with the 60-2 crank pulley (even order this part new as I did for ~60Euros a few years ago). If you have aftermarket ecu's for free (or almost as you do down there) go for them. Isn't anyone the least curious about how well a remapped factory ecu will work? Come on, not everyone has an interest in profit all the time!!
All engine ancillaries are the same as in the 2.5liter V6.
You can use the same exhaust headers with the 2.5, ie CSC or your own fab. There are lots of cams available, your buddy Barry has a couple of very good ones he has tested. Catcams has a few very good profiles also, P/N 1030321 and 1030322. Get a good set of valve springs from Centerline or Spruell, a set of THS rods, lighten the flywheel to ~8kg, balance everything and you can easily go over 7400+ depending on the heads.
Aren't you tired of them big-bore 24v jobs? Can't anyone cut it with std factory capacity engines down there :?: :roll:
Jim K.