cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Post by cchan »

Hi Streetfame,

I like your idea. On my old spyder I really wished it had more HP. How much more weight do you think you are adding to the front?

How are you going to mount the engine into the bay? Finally, what type of drivetrain are you thinking of using? I think I saw another sypder with a GTV6 engine and it looked awesome. Are you setting this up for Street or track? I am very interested in your project.

Thanks for posting your project here. :D
streetfame
Silver
Silver

choices, choices, choices...

Post by streetfame »

SydneyJules wrote:Mid mounting it with a WRX STi gearbox into an Alfa Sud Sprint to make a Sprint 6C....

or more realistically, I dont know... with the money to machine it all out, well I would rather spend it on a Turbo 2.0!

However, the engine would be right at home in a stripped out race car, so perhaps I find a cheap GTV6 racer that's got a stocker in it and swap it over for mine... and racing it wont break everything, like it would with a 2.0T- whereas, a 2.0T would make a nice street engine, like Brian Berger's hornbag car....

:roll:

need the cash first...need a job.... interview tomorrow.... wait two years...get mortgage and pay for car all in one go :wink:

Jules,

You crazy motha###!! Sounds awsome!! Why don't you just twin-turbo it and get it over with!!! :shock: :D You know you'll want more power in another 6 months!! Lighten the hell out of the frame, stiffen it up, dial in the suspension and make it a track-able street burner!!! LOL

Seriously, keep me updated on which path you choose and when..

streetfame
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

no distracting the thread :!:
vittorio
Last edited by Sporttunergtv6 on Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
streetfame
Silver
Silver

Post by streetfame »

cchan wrote:Hi Streetfame,

I like your idea. On my old spyder I really wished it had more HP. How much more weight do you think you are adding to the front?

How are you going to mount the engine into the bay? Finally, what type of drivetrain are you thinking of using? I think I saw another sypder with a GTV6 engine and it looked awesome. Are you setting this up for Street or track? I am very interested in your project.

Thanks for posting your project here. :D
Cchan,

More power?? I hear you. I remember driving my first spider (88' Quad) I got smoked by everything on the road. To be fair...that engine was toast! Leak down results told be that it was time to dig a grave for it, empty my wallet to a serious supplier or sell the entire car and start over. 6 months later I did 2 of the above...and now, i'm at this point with my new project!!

24v heads are really compact and entire engine with all the goodies don't add much more weight. As long as the suspension gets balanced properly, there won't be any handeling issues.

Drivetrain? Decided to replace the entire contents of the spider gearbox with all new internals. Went a step furthur and had close ratio gears installed, lightened and hard shot peened :D

streetfame
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Post by cchan »

Hi Street Fame,

Ok, thats good to know. I would have thought the spyder engine would weigh alot less just by looking at them but what do I know. So If I understood you correctly the tranmission for the sypder will connect to a GTV6 engine? Is there alot of modifications to be done to do this? I guess if you do that then you could use the rest of the drivetrain.

Assuming what I said above it true, can the stock drive train take all the power of your monster engine without modifications? Just picking your brain since your spyder idea sounds very interesting.

Have a good evening. :D
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

another way to achieve the same end result would be to stick a 1.8t with a bit of work, or a TS into a spider, and then turbo it. Lighter and similar power Im sure- 300hp shouldnt be too hard on a 1.8T when you consider the amount of money required to buy a 3.7 24v.

The box will take 400 or so- at least Ive heard that, and with some suspension mods would be a nice little driver!
Attachments
SpiderRear.jpg
SpiderRear.jpg (50.31 KiB) Viewed 11369 times
Spiderfront.jpg
Spiderfront.jpg (42.62 KiB) Viewed 11368 times
SpiderInt.jpg
SpiderInt.jpg (49.88 KiB) Viewed 11368 times
Fixing it bit by bit....
streetfame
Silver
Silver

Post by streetfame »

Cchan...

Mods to mount tranny??? Simple plate adapter with starter attached. Correct spacing and you're there. I'm working with the "automatic rear end" spider so it should give me a higher top end.

Jules...

Yeah i guess that would be another way to go. My engine was a little pricey, but it's all good. Either way, once i turn that key, it'll put a grin on my face that i know i'll never forget :D

Where did you find those pics of the spider? Not too fond of the series two spider though :wink: I think the series 4 is so much more refined and classy...

streetfame
rz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by rz »

hi streetfame,i think the automatic rear axle has a shorter ratio than the normal 2.0.
in europe the 2.0 had 10/41 in usa i think 9/41 and the auto, as i recall , was 8/43?
streetfame
Silver
Silver

Post by streetfame »

rz wrote:hi streetfame,i think the automatic rear axle has a shorter ratio than the normal 2.0.
in europe the 2.0 had 10/41 in usa i think 9/41 and the auto, as i recall , was 8/43?
Yeah, that's what i thought awhile back...such is not the case...

The auto rear end has 11 more teeth and works off 3 gears. It's also beefier than the manual one, has 8 bolts instead of 6 (as in the manual), shorter drive shaft (less flex and possibly less parasitic loss??, can take far more torque and results in a quicker take off and top end. Only minus is the middle section...slightly lower than the manual rear end. However, with all the torque this new engine will be injecting through my driveline...i don't think it'll really matter :D

streetfame
streetfame
Silver
Silver

Plantin' Power!!

Post by streetfame »

Hey guys!

Check out what Santa has put in his sack for me and is now on route!! RSRacing's Fully adjustable shocks with springs. I also requested Ron's 30mm front sway bar to be sent along (not pictured, but coming as well)!! :D

Tranny is all buttoned up and ready - revamped with all new internals including shafts, bearings, syncros, sleeves ect. Plus close-ratio gears that have all been forged, lightened and shot peened! Tranny has a stock bellhousing presently mounted which will be replaced with the modified bellhousing - seen attached with starter on the adapter plate.

Engine has now been crated and awaiting departure from South Africa after completing testing, maping and run-in with zero problems! :D

More updates soon...

streetfame
Attachments
HPIM0059.JPG
HPIM0059.JPG (63.27 KiB) Viewed 10928 times
HPIM0058.JPG
HPIM0058.JPG (69.73 KiB) Viewed 10928 times
HPIM0051.JPG
HPIM0051.JPG (63.9 KiB) Viewed 10929 times
HPIM0049.JPG
HPIM0049.JPG (79.72 KiB) Viewed 10928 times
demon's suspension.jpg
demon's suspension.jpg (67.28 KiB) Viewed 10927 times
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

SF,I was looking your engine at Glenwood yesterday..very nicely done..
Dawie realy was ingenuous with some of the things he did..very clever indeed
I think its going to be a barrel of fun... 8)
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
streetfame
Silver
Silver

Thanks

Post by streetfame »

Barry wrote:SF,I was looking your engine at Glenwood yesterday..very nicely done..
Dawie realy was ingenuous with some of the things he did..very clever indeed
I think its going to be a barrel of fun... 8)
Barry,

Thanks for the heads up :D When I saw your name I thought you were gonna kill me again :cry: I've tried to learn as much as I can over the past while just on engines in general, nevermind alfas and I really do thank you for your input. Between yourself and John, you guys seriously cover a lot of ground :D

Would it be possible for you to explain to me exactly what Dawie has managed to do that was ingenuous and clever? I know that he sorted out the oil pump and matching sump issues for retrofitting it into my spider. Any other details you know of??

Thanks for your time as I am always willing to learn from people that KNOW what they are talking about.

streetfame
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Sorry for the previous flaming.. :D

I think John should give you details..you know.. :wink:
but its going to be fun!
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
streetfame
Silver
Silver

GOT IT!!!

Post by streetfame »

I'll let the pics do the talkin' :) :D :o :shock:
Attachments
HPIM0153.JPG
HPIM0153.JPG (94.41 KiB) Viewed 10476 times
HPIM0154.JPG
HPIM0154.JPG (96.13 KiB) Viewed 10476 times
HPIM0159.JPG