zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Merrill-
I was only kidding with the hot rod comment. I actually have some cars with american big block motors myself: 67 Imperial (440) and 71 Riviera (455). Nothing wrong with knowing about all types of motors. In fact, it is exactly my problem that I dont know enough about Hot Rod type motors. All of the people that help me work on my car only have experience with Detroit engines. I post questions to get Alfa specific advice. To that end this thread has been very successful (thanks everybody for the responses).

Ok, so valves are not a great direction...
What is way to make custom runners? Using exhaust tubes? I know that the SA cast ones are sweet, but I dont have that much money.
Thanks again to everybody for the free education :D
ingegnere
Gold
Gold

Post by ingegnere »

Jim,

thanks for the detailed information.
Answering your question, 'how did I decide..?', I was just thinking of. 8) That is why I asked, and now you made me convinced. Probably I will go for what you suggested. I' m actually satisfied with the power it brings now, but one always wants a little more. :wink: This year I made a custom exhaust header, and was thinking of moving forwards.

I agree on balancing, but since my engine has just passed it's 100k kms, I dont want to dismantle the block. Although when last time I built a 3.0, I lightened and balanced all the rods and pistons to mg. :) It runs very smooth.
Attachments
Here the balanced rods can be seen with the old liners and pistons.
Here the balanced rods can be seen with the old liners and pistons.
rods.jpg (128.63 KiB) Viewed 2356 times
'The GTV': '83 GTV6; (summer)
' Mr Brown': '82 Alfetta 2000L; (family car)
'The Little Red': '79 Alfasud 1.3 Super; (under restoration)