Mats
Verde
Verde

Re: Made a couple new supercharging videos and a Callaway vid

Post by Mats »

Doh, guess you got me... :shock: :D

It's Hans car, Merc SC sounds right. Didn't have the time to talk about specifics.

I just realized there is an in-car video from the race. :)

http://www.alfetta.se/files/mov/2010/ge ... _race2.wmv

It's on Jens Roos site (Green GTV #72), right-click and DL.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

In the case of a street car, it's really not on boost all that often so I don't think it's a big deal. However if you want it quiet when on boost I suggest using the throttle body from a M90 supercharged G.M. car (96+ Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac etc.). Those throttle bodies silence things pretty well.

The video you referenced is a MP62 with the throttle in the stock location (after the supercharger) and a bypass/blowoff valve into the atmosphere.

Greg Gordon,
http://www.hiperformancestore.com
http://www.okinjectors.com
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Mats, that's a really nice looking track, and I haven't seen that many Alfas all in one place and running in a long time.

Greg
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

That was actually a low-point in terms of number of Alfas.
Here is a video from the same track from inside my car (only carburators, sorry) back in -07.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MN_poWA_AA
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Nice driving Mats, not too many people can shift the Alfa transaxle that well.

Greg
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Thanks, well prepped gearbox... :wink:
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
ChrisS
Gold
Gold

Post by ChrisS »

On the subject of hijacking... :)

More on the noise front really - my car has the 164 TB before the M90, and a bypass round it. In 'normal' driving you can barely hear the whine at all. On full throttle, it's still pretty quiet (from inside the car at least - no idea how loud it is from the outside other than on a rolling road, where everything was drowned out by the exhaust). In contrast, a chap I know has an almost identical engine in his Lancia Monte Carlo, but has the TB post-blower and uses a couple of turbo-style BOVs to dump the unwanted boost straight to atmoshpere...and that car is increadibly loud - at the very least as loud as the car in Matts video.

For road use...and given I'm getting old...I much prefer the way mine is set up. It howls a bit when you boot it, but otherwise, it just wafts along quietly(ish!)

It's probably telling that the chap with the Monte was considering a re-plumb to quieten it down.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

That's a good post Chris, and makes my point exactly. The amount of supercharger noise has a lot to do with how the plumbing is setup. The actual supercharger is secondary.

Greg Gordon,
www.hiperformancestore.com
www.okinjectors.com
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

So, Greg - anyone adapted your setup to a 164?
I nearly bought a IHI Lysholm for my car from a AMG C32 - but figured out that short of pulling the aircon out, there's no-where to fit it...
1966 GTV
1982 Suzuki "Bathurst" Katana
1995 Cagiva Mito (race kitted 250 powered)
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Nope,

I don't know of anyone who has supercharged a 164. My kit definitely won't work on a 164. A surprising number of people have bought my book and successfully supercharged various vehicles, but as far as I know, not on a 164.

The IHI Lysholm unit as used by Mazda is really long, and it requires oil from the engine under pressure, so it's a lot of trouble to use. The Sprintex is a Lysholm device, and is made in Australia. It's very high quality, and compact! If I was to try and supercharge a 164, that's what I would use.

My next supercharger kit will be for the Spider, I have done a lot of work on it already, but my new job has taken away a lot of my time.

Soon I will discontinue the V6 kit, I have one left, (GTV6 early crank pulley type). After the Spider kit is done I will make an entirely new V6 kit. All my kits from this point on will have the throttle on the intake side, and noise will be a design factor.

Greg Gordon,
www.okinjectors.com
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

From the photos, the IHI that mercedes used is pretty short and internally oiled - doesn't look to be any external oil lines.
Sprintex's are a good bit of kit, just fiendishly expensive, even here.
The AMG C32 IHI unit is "127mm high, 200mm wide + mount tabs, 400mm long including snout and pulley or 300mm long not including snout and pulley"

1.7l/rev, 22,000rpm max or something...
1966 GTV
1982 Suzuki "Bathurst" Katana
1995 Cagiva Mito (race kitted 250 powered)
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

That's a totally different IHI unit than the type I am used to seeing. The type that's common in the salvage yards over here is from the Mazda Millenia and is very long and thin. I have never seen that supercharger before.

Greg Gordon,
www.okinjectors.com
killaz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by killaz »

While we talk about dimensions.. I've seen M90 with two standard dimensions - long & short. Which one would be better for v6 in AR75? Intake side is in the middle of plenum..?

Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Generally speaking shorter is better because it's easier to fit in the Alfa's engine bay. With that said, there are a lot of different M90s. G.M. used at least two, Ford at least two, and then there all the other types. The G.M. units are very bulky. The units from the Thunderbird S.C. are a decent size and can be used on the Alfa V6. Keep in mind almost a used M90 will probably need an overhaul. I recommend buying a new, or known good unit.

Greg Gordon,
www.okinjectors.com
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Greg,

When I first rode in your dad's Super Verde the whine at idle was quite loud. Was it because there was no secondary bypass then?

I'm thinking about supercharging and right now am leaning towards a rotrex (yes, won' have BIG torque low down).

Run 5psi with my 10.5:1 12V now and later 10psi with my 10:1 24V. both will be intercooled and have water and methanol injection.
Dr. Alban