Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Supercharged 3.0 Dyno results (Low Boost)

Post by Greg Gordon »

Today we dynoed SuperVerde and I am fairly happy with the results.

The 3.0 put out 205 horsepower at the wheels which equates to an honest 250 flywheel horsepower. This was with low boost (just over 5 psi) for it's trip to California where we can only buy 91 octane fuel. I am quite sure we could have bumped it up quite a bit higher if we were planning on 93 octane but that's for another day, better safe then sorry. Since this test was with a stock engine with slightly lower compression these results are the minimum a customer could expect.

We made a few pulls on the dyno. We checked it with timing at the factory setting, also at 6 degrees advanced which gave 2 less horsepower and 6 degrees retarded which gave 10 less horsepower. My father's prediction that the factory timing would be best was correct.

At the bottom of the dyno graph you can see the mixture was dead on target at 6000 rpm with an air fuel ratio of about 12.5:1. The graph also shows the great limitation of L-Jetronic. While we are able to get the full throttle mixture dead on at peak horsepower we can only move the whole fuel curve up or down. This means at full throttle it's way too rich at lower rpm. It ran super rich below 5000 rpm, about 10:1 and as rich as 9.5:1 down below 3500 rpm. This hurts the max torque output since that's around 4250 rpm. While this may not be ideal, I should point out that it's on the safe side and if you are going to use L-Jet it's a condition you have to live with.

We also experimented with mixture a little just to make sure we can richen it up enough for higher boost. That worked perfectly. Of course power went down with the excessively rich mixture but this showed the L-Jet system with my Stage 2 injectors can support 8 pounds of boost on a 3.0 with no problem.

For those who don't know the car, it's a stock 3.0 with 8.8:1 compression (less then stock actually). It has no engine mods except my supercharger kit and big injectors. It has all factory manifolds, no porting or anything else.

If you are in California and want to see or ride in the car it will be in Valencia which is just north of the San Fernando Valley on Tuesday and will be there for a couple days after that.

Greg Gordon www.oldebottles.com/italiancars.htm www.hiperformancestore.com

THE PHONE NUMBER ON THE DYNO SHEET IS THE NUMBER OF THE DYNO SHOP, NOT MY NUMBER!
Attachments
3literdyno.JPG
3literdyno.JPG (86.11 KiB) Viewed 6564 times
Last edited by Greg Gordon on Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

Cool Greg! Congrats!

One question: Are you expecting the car to pass, say CA, smog? I wonder if running it so rich at low RPM will cause problems with the smog? I suppose you have no choice as it will otherwise run lean at high RPM. I can already predict your answer: One setting for the day of smog, and then off to a more optimal setting ;-)

Suppose you are still not in risk of "washing" the liners with all that fuel at low RPM? What is an approximate AFR for that to happen?

Seems inexpensive EMS like GoTech standard or the like is an obvious fix.

One more: Is the SC very loud, high whine?

Jes
87 Milano Verde - daily driver - Juliet
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car - Roxanne
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car
(Repeat or do as I say at your own risk - be critical)
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Jes,

SMOG is out of the question. Visual is a big no-no. As for the A/F, autospeed.com has a device which can intercept and modify the signal from the AFM. It's called the digital air fuel controller I think. Cost is about US$279.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Greg,Very nice....That torque curve says it all........And your power figures are real world.Thats nice to see..
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Greg,Very nice....That torque curve says it all........And your power figures are real world.Thats nice to see..
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Hi Jes,
First of all it's important to understand that the air fuel ratio at full throttle is unrelated to the air fuel ratio at part throttle where the O2 sensor has input. As Zamani said, I don't expect it to pass California smog since they are concerned with the visual portion of the test. As for the actual emissions comming out of the tail pipe I think they could be adjusted within parameters at idle and part throttle.

The mixture is only super rich at full throttle. I don't think there is any danger of washing the oil off the liners because it's not really that rich for very long, and only at full throttle. It's also not that rich by historical standards. Many high compression muscle cars from the carb era ran air fuel ratios around 10:1. Just how rich would it have to be to wash the oil off the liners? I don't know exactly but I do know from my avaition backround with Turbocharged 500 cubic inch 6 cylinders that it's well rich of where power loss starts to suffer greatly. When you get it that rich it's obvious something is way off, it just won't run right.

The superchager's whine is noticeable in normal around town driving. When the boost is on it's loud. In cruise on the highway you can barely hear it. It's possible to muffle the sound which is why you don't hear it as much on supercharged Minis, Buicks, Jags, etc. however I have not done much about that. I like the sound and I can't wait to hear it mixed with a loud angry exhaust system.

Thanks Barry!
gtv11636
Gold
Gold

Post by gtv11636 »

Congrats Greg!!

Looks like you'v done a Realy Nice work! :P
81GTV6
Gold
Gold

Post by 81GTV6 »

:shock:

GREG!!!!!! How do you expect me to ever save up to get my flight ratings when you keep teasing me with this! :wink:
Jacob Ricciotti

'81 GTV6 3.0
'81 GTV6 Track car
'91 164S daily driver
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Fly first, supercharger later.