Andrew.b
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Andrew.b »

Engine looks really nice eh!!

Prices are aruond £8-9000 bracket, but i' sure JJ will give exact pricing for you.

I was out with Dawie for 2 weeks before John arrived (late) and saw the motor semi built, waiting the american rods and pistons.

Having driven several full race 3.7 motors, I can tell you first hand it's very powerfull. However, the the smaller 3.45 motors are just as fast on the track (lap times), so don't count them out

(and the're easier on the prop/gearbox and diff spider gears)

Dawie and I have been developing a radical new camshaft for race motors, and this motor has the second of it's type - solid lifter ramp profile, so no good in street engines.

This Aussie is gonna have some fun....
Andrew b
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

- Have spent a great deal of time on the phone with the technical folks at Fred Carrillo's farm... Smart people and a good product.

Have spent EVEN MORE time on the phone with Don Pauter PERSONALLY - fantastic chap!

Turns out those comparative tensile testing revealed very similar results with strengths and draw-backs pretty evenly divided on both sides of the fence... As a side-note; Pauter buys their rod stock FROM THE EXACT SAME source as Carrillo!

Only major difference (besides prices and the basic design) is that Carrillo cuts his rods first and then forges. Don forges first and then cuts because the forging process itself can and does leave brittle edges (under microscopic conditions) and it CAN be a problem, but not often.

Talking about design; the "cupped" lead-edge shape of the I-beam design made popular in the early nineties is typical for Carrillo, Arrows and Farmdon. They all make a great product and we have used them all. (All 4 of the little 4-bangers that Dawie and I just did ran Carrillos...)

The " + " shape with the tapered leading-edge of the Pauter pieces is effective when you start talking about crank-case windage. When you start going with radical headers and dry-sump design (also in part due to windage) and you start looking for that last bit of power, these rods make sense - not that "cupped" leading edge of the I-Beam rods...

Those are all wonderful rods, but at 360 dollars a rod (and almost double that for one of the English rods) I just can't justify the price...

The Pauters come to us a bit over 200 USD and the quality is fantastic! Don is also willing to spend time with us on unique designs, varying tolerances, small batches and personal phone-time when I need it.
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

For those asking about pricing, please email me at info@glenwoodalfa.com or at john@reginaceleste.com

In short - a full race motor such as this with solid lifters, steel rods, dry-sump, big injectors and oil heat exchanger and all of the plumbing - I mean - every bit of damage that ol' Dawie and I can do to a budget, you are looking at 22,000 USD plus shipping.

This includes installation in test-car, dyno run in, mapped ECU, headers, 6 individual butterflies, drysump, plumbing and tank, oil heat exchanger etc etc etc.

This was gapless rings, lightened, balanced, nitrated EVERYTHING all of the way, full race, 8000 plus rpm motor.

As a side note - there is one of Dawie's personalized, beautiful little new generation 156 series block-based GTA 3.2 litre 24 valvers sitting here (Dawie built it for inventory during idle time...)

You can run a stock Motec 164 or 156 or 147 ECU and harness, or go Unchip ontop of that stock ECU or go GoTech if you like. It is a 10.5:1 motor with GTA injectors, GTA pistons, GTA lifters, GTA rods, GTA crank, GTA intake runners (same as 164Q) - EVERYTHING brand new, tested, run and ready! Higher CP though, Group 1 cams and the right porting, big valve heads: Probably close to a 290 horsepower motor for 9800 USD... (CORE INCLUDED!)

Flywheels and crank pulleys ready for either a transverse or for a longitudinal installation!

Torque that you will not believe; revs smooth all of the way to 7800 rpm – just beautiful.

Please rather email me of-line and we can keep this thread technical.
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...