junglejustice
Verde
Verde

5 x 24 Valve Big-Bore Group Build;

Post by junglejustice »

So, Dawie has asked me to post this on his behalf;

"There seems to be a pretty active level of interest in purpose-built Glenwood Motors big-bore performance engines in the States and other parts of the world were previously, we have not focused on providing solutions, due to high local demand.

We are speaking particularly of areas with a great constituent of Alfa Romeo enthusiasts such as Australia, America and Europe, but, where (for one reason or another) we have not sold as many engines as in say, Malaysia, the UK or South Africa for example.

With Jes' 3.7 motor about to get rolling and John's 3.7 not too far behind, there will be some pretty nice examples running State-side. Australia is getting one of our 12 valve big-bores and New York is about to get a 3.45 24 Valve also.

We also have 4 friends who have purchased very successful Alfa 4 cylinders for vintage racing in the Pacific Northwestern part of the US!

While this expansion into other markets is very exciting to me, "budget" always seems to be a factor when considering a project such as this. My friend John informs me that a nice Milano donor car can be bought for as low as a thousand dollars and a nice GTV6 (my personal favorite for these conversions) runs in the 2 to 3 thousand dollar range for a donor car in the US, depending on condition. Understandably, a $10,000 engine for one of these cars, takes some consideration.

With that said, we have decided to take on a speculative project that we feel will benefit the customers and at the same time save on costs sufficiently so as to justify offering 5 Glenwood engines at an attractive price.

Building 5 of these engines simultaneously is a rather large and risky proposition; at the same time, the associated reduction in the cost of production (for parts, engineering, machining and final assembly), allows us to price these 5 identical engines at a very reasonable level for anybody with a serious level of interest.

With John's help we have sourced 5 x V6 24 Valve 164-type engine cores. Approximate performance, rough specifications and exact pricing will be as follows:

All 5 engines will be balanced with their original transverse flywheels as well as with a customer supplied longitudinal configuration flywheel for the option of a 156/164 type installation or a Milano/GTV6/Alfetta type installation and a flywheel to spare.

Before shipping, all engines are installed in a GTV6 test-mule, run-in and then dyno-tuned (at 6,000 foot elevation.)

Specs;
Exchange 164 LS-generation V6 3.45 litre 24 Valve 4-cam block and heads
Block NOT line-bored UNLESS required!!!
Heads cleaned (not machined if NOT required!!!)
Standard Crank – mic’ed, polished, nitrated/plasma heat-treated for strength
New Vanderval bearings
Standard Rods – Inspected and shot-peened for strength
New custom turbo spec. 100.00mm cylinder liners with custom machined step and custom head gasket steel compression ring-insert
New Ross Racing forged aluminium alloy high-compression pistons – 12/100ths of a mm clearance
New Total Seal Standard Competition Rings
New tapered Ross Racing wrist-pins
Standard valves – angles cut to my race-specifications
Inlet and outlet ports opened up to race specifications
Custom cams – cut to my “Group 1” specifications; for strength these are nitrated/plasma heat-treated (similar to a factory finish) – these are NOT simple “regrinds”…
New Custom 44mm headers and collectors – Steel; “Powerkote” heat treated
Exchange Milano/GTV6 sump fitted and tested
6 Coil-pack electronic ignition setup (VR6/Mitsubishi 3000/Alfa 155 or other)
New GoTech PRO stand-alone engine management system
New custom wiring harness & Alfa specific connectors
Standard injectors and fuel-rail - back-flowed & reconditioned
Exchange Milano/GTV6 intake manifold (modified for 50mm connectors)
Exchange standard throttle-body
New, custom 50mm connectors
New, custom, cast aluminum 50mm intake runners; port-specific matched
Tested oil-pressure sender
New stock timing belt
New custom head gaskets
Inspected/Reconditioned oil-drive system
Lightened flywheel
All internal reciprocating parts are fully balanced with crank-pulley and flywheels after lightening

Exchange parts required – shipped to South Africa;
Customer supplies 24 valve engine core; Block and heads – complete with good internals including valves, crank, cams, rods, pistons etc., customer may elect to pay 2,500.00 USD core charge instead and thereby also save on the shipping to SA!
Customer supplies stock Milano/GTV6 2.5 or 3.0 intake plenum & throttle-body
Customer supplies stock Milano/GTV6 2.5 or 3.0 oil sump & pan
Customer supplies stock Milano/GTV6 2.5 or 3.0 flywheel
Customer supplies stock Milano/GTV6 2.5 or 3.0 tail-housing (Need not send)
Customer supplies stock Milano/GTV6 2.5 or 3.0 starter (Need not send)
Customer supplies stock 164 alternator (Need not send)

Non power-steering and non air-conditioned applications are naturally the prefered option, but alternative arrangements can be made on a case-by-case basis.

Estimated performance;
280 horsepower at the crank is a non-event for one of these engines. Depending on individual tuning, altitude, fuel and final setup, 300 horsepower is attainable from this configuration. Torque is unbelievable on this configuration and it really is the strength of this rebuild!

Pricing (excluding shipping);
Engine Build - $7,000.00
Modified intake plenum, connectors and cast aluminum intake runners - $900.00
Custom Headers and down-pipes - $800.00
GoTech PRO ECU, custom wiring harness, Alfa-specific connectors and engine specific map - $900.00
Coil-Packs & connectors - $300.00
Optional 3.7 litre up-charge (including GTA crank and other required modifications) - $2,000.00

Anybody with specific questions may contact me directly at my shop in South Africa at 012.348.1359. I will ask that you try to exhaust John's knowledge where possible as he has worked with me extensively and he has a good level of knowledge to assist in coordinating one of these engines for your particular destination and application, anywhere in the world. (I know that he has also been of good assistance to Jes with the complete rebuilding of his US model Milano/75 car and installation of one of our 24 valve 3.7 litre engines.

Thanks you for your support.

Sincerely,
Dawie de Villiers
Glenwood Motors"

I may be contacted via PM or off-line from the forum at 425.941.4747 or email me at john@reginaceleste.com

Cheers, JvR
Last edited by junglejustice on Wed May 25, 2005 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...
Giulietta24vTT
Gold
Gold

Post by Giulietta24vTT »

WOW!

This is the REAL thing:) !!!!
We have here 2 Glenwood built engines here in israel , a TT in my car and another Big Bore NA one on a 6spd 156 - i got to admit ,these two are the most reliable , strong and well built costums I have ever seen .
I had so far driven thousands kilometers on 98ron (93us) fuel with some good tuning on the glenwood Aftermarket ECU intallation
and everything is in perfect nick , inc very good compression,oil pressure and low oil consumption.
The NA motor too is a pearl ,pulling like a beast to high rpm and plentifull torque all over the rev range, this one beats a late NA 911 in the 156 swap...
Lucky will the owners of the new engines!
Cheers.
Chen S
ex Giulietta 24V Glenwood TT.