gtv-racer
Platinum
Platinum

Re: Building the supercharger to the engine (75 3.0V6)

Post by gtv-racer »

kevin wrote:Isn't it a drenth box in that car .( speed hunters)
What clutch set up are you gonna use with the 928 box . That's also a lot of work up font .
Dindn'd research the clutch part yet. Maybe i make a Sei housing upfront with the clutch because i might get one from a guru :wink: if not ,i mill a replica in a shorter version or something like that. Already collected a big aluminium 51st axle years ago for this purpose when i saw it laying around in our shop :D

But first measure the 75 and see what fits and if it's possible. :?
Hope the rear stabelizer isn't gonna be a problem becuase the alfa's transaxle is very flat at that part...
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

I think the first choice of procedure would be to see what broke in box . Then use another 75 3.0 box with straight cut gears . I can't see that pinion breaking if all tolerances are kept intact through further mods in the box to prevent movement . Combine this with reinforced clutch housing and a prop as discussed above .
If this fails and you still want transaxle then go with drenth box and clutch in rear with Volvo diff . If sourcing the above is to costly just put BMW box upfront with 119 diff as the weight proportion are not that bad . A 119 diff is incredibly 7kg heavier than a 116 entire gearbox :shock: and upfront which is technically 700mm from engine mounts you are adding a further 30kg . If you keep battery back to the rear that a further 15kg you can push rear wards .
I would hate to make all the conversion to put box from 928 at the back and still have to do clutch in front .
Try source some pics of that GTV . Some article I saw a year ago showed its set up and it was very simple (and expensive)
You can see from these pics how much work it is ( and costly ) to create the space .
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (165.4 KiB) Viewed 6662 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (215.57 KiB) Viewed 6662 times
gtv-racer
Platinum
Platinum

Post by gtv-racer »

Jacked op the car yesterday. No diff noise, no broken clutch housing.
Then i had a look at the guibos..
Middle guibo failure. Now i understand why it popped out of fifth. It probely hit the gear lever. The guibo was only about 1500km's old...

You can see great disformalety on this donut by have a look at the dust marks. Wonder how long this one is gonna hold..

False alarm :oops:

For now i think guibo cage's will do the job. And the middle guibo replaced by the bmw one. Does anyone have OEM numbers for me.

Still i think the 928 solution is the way to go when you are pushing the gearbox. save's you a lot of weight.
I think i work it out for if the time comes. Yesterday i took some measurements. I think i only have to raise the part of the driveshaft tunnel for the shifter machanism and maybe upfront a bit for clutch space.

Thanks for brainstorming!

And i want it to be a transaxle!
Last edited by gtv-racer on Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Resize the pictures befor uploading... PLEASE!! :shock:
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Yeah need to resize that .
The standard Alfa centre coupling is rubbish compared to the BMW .( 1980 design on 118kw vs 1995 design on 160kw) It does not have any strand or thread in it , so its just like a rubber ball which will split with big power motors only . The BMW type is like a car tyre with huge amounts of windings in it . I should have the code of it tomorrow . Beware there are fake BMW ones without thread inside . This pic shows its only 5mm thicker . The standard one is next to the prop . A coupling cage on the front coupling should give all protection you need as that's the first one that winds up under acceleration then centre then rear .
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (113.59 KiB) Viewed 6620 times
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

Can anyone recommend a supplier for the front coupling cage?
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Hey Kevin,

That BMW piece sounds good. How difficult is it to fit, I know it's only 5mm, but sometimes, that's a lot. The driveshaft barely shoves in there as it is.

Greg,
www.hiperformancestore.com
www.okinjectors.com
www.hiperformancestore-fiat.com
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Duk , I had a whole lot of cages made a while back for the racing guys in SA . I think I have one left but its in my store SOuth Africa and currently I'm living UK. I will PM you after I get my dad to check .
Greg , I shortened the prop by 5mm as I wanted it to be perfect but ironically their was still gap while the other two cars I did not change prop and it was the normal 2minute struggle . Because I'm always using lift and not lying under car its really no problem . I'm still waiting for code . I posted a pic ages when I tried to remove 5mm off coupling . Was pretty stupid idea as it launched across the workshop when skimming the rubber :oops:
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (136.12 KiB) Viewed 6580 times
Last edited by kevin on Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

You shortened the driveshaft by 5mm! That doesn't sound fun.

Greg,
www.okinjectors.com
gtv-racer
Platinum
Platinum

Post by gtv-racer »

No problem for me. Whe have the machines over here :lol:

Wonder i it's possible to adapt the other donut mounting point's to fit the beamer coupler :|

Also have to upgrade the clutch somehow. It's bearly up to the job. Doesn't hold in fifht.. also rough launches it just burns up. Any low buget solution? Upgraded plates are very expensive and not suitable for road use..
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

Kev,

If you have the splined front driveshaft, can't it easily accommodate the 5mm difference?
gtv-racer
Platinum
Platinum

Post by gtv-racer »

anyone know dimensions for te front and back couplers? Thicknes, pitch and bolt diameter. I'm in contact with a suplier for stronger donust.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

75evo , the spline takes care of anything from centre bearing onwards as that has bolt holes on it .
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

kevin wrote:Duk , I had a whole lot of cages made a while back for the racing guys in SA . I think I have one left but its in my store SOuth Africa and currently I'm living UK. I will PM you after I get my dad to check .
Cheers Kevin, that'd be great.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

75evo wrote:Kev,

If you have the splined front driveshaft, can't it easily accommodate the 5mm difference?
I think "easily" is a scary word here. I just installed a driveshaft into a late 85' GTV6 last week. Even with the front section shoved all the way forward and the center not bolted up it's still a wrestling match to shove the whole thing in there. I could see 5mm making it a headache.

Greg,
www.okinjectors.com