DaveH
Gold
Gold

Front Exhaust Section

Post by DaveH »

Well, my euro pipe replacement is taking shape.

Have a look at the attached pics.

I made a jig from the old pipes so that I wouldn't have to let exhaust shop monkeys touch my darling. Of course, the jig also lets me replicate these for anyone who might be interested...

The sections upstream of the flex joints are glass packs. The rear couplings are a great way to go for easy fit and removal. If you've got U-clamps, life can be misery.

Can't tell you if they sound good or not yet. My aim is to take away the cheap-sounding high frequency noise that euro-pipes give you. My current set up has stock middle and rear sections.
Attachments
Euro Jig 1.JPG
Euro Jig 1.JPG (63.17 KiB) Viewed 9250 times
FrontSectionInJig.JPG
FrontSectionInJig.JPG (71.06 KiB) Viewed 9251 times
GlassPacks_FlexHose.JPG
GlassPacks_FlexHose.JPG (77.16 KiB) Viewed 9251 times
pancho
Gold
Gold

Post by pancho »

Looks the bee's knee's Dave !
PanchoRama

From the great master Del Compo "so, wat you wan doin?"

High Five. Sexy Time. You Lose
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

That is pretty sweet Dave! Damn - I have to buy a welder now :)
Michael
1981 GTV6
DaveH
Gold
Gold

Post by DaveH »

I wish I could tell you I have them installed. But no - I took a week away from the Alfa. Now my wife is likes me again. For a while there, she thought I loved the car more than her. If only she knew. Although she is unlikely to ever rust....maybe she's a better long-term bet.

Amelia Island Concours this weekend. 5 days work (day job) to get done before Thu night. I hate it, but I'm not going to get to the new pipes till the following weekend...It pains me.
GTV6GPTT
Gold
Gold

Post by GTV6GPTT »

-
VinnyM
Silver
Silver

are you still making them???

Post by VinnyM »

two days ago i was driving down a new orleans side street ( if you have never experianced it, it is like going off road!) when my car pretty much fell into a pot hole, bottomed out, the U-clamps came undone, my ANSA center muffler fell, got caught in another pot hole a little further up and curled back and bent up under the car. with it, it too my rear ANSA muffler and bent and colapsed the goose neck. now both the center and rear muffler are destroyed!

I have recently learned how to weld, have access to a mig and arch welder and would like to maybe recreate something like you have there. that is, depending on what you going rate is? anyway if you dont mind me asking some questions...

1) what gague and diamiter pipe is that?
2) where did you get the glass packs and flex hoses from?
3) did u fabricate the flanges?
4) did u have to tap a hole for the O2 sensor?
5) please tell me it wasnt that hard :(
Attachments
PICT0139.JPG
PICT0139.JPG (130.98 KiB) Viewed 8362 times
X-84 gtv6 2.5
X-83 gtv6 3.0
VinnyM
Silver
Silver

Post by VinnyM »

Attachments
PICT0140.JPG
PICT0140.JPG (18.16 KiB) Viewed 8345 times
PICT0143.JPG
PICT0143.JPG (22.33 KiB) Viewed 8345 times
PICT0145.JPG
PICT0145.JPG (21.39 KiB) Viewed 8345 times
X-84 gtv6 2.5
X-83 gtv6 3.0
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

Contact the city - they should cover the cost. Document the damage and contact them.

Jes
87 Milano Verde - daily driver - Juliet
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car - Roxanne
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car
(Repeat or do as I say at your own risk - be critical)
VinnyM
Silver
Silver

Post by VinnyM »

Unfortunatly this is New Orleans.... no such luck. my other gtv6 was hit while parked on the street, and the cop left the accident number and his phone number on a scrap of paper. he ran out of accident reports. when i lost the scrap of paper and went to the office to get the report, i was lectured on how i shouldnt have lost the paper. he couldnt help me because i didnt know the specific number and then began laughing at me. went and talked to 4 diff people and eventually the supervisor and nothing could be done. luckily the other person did damage to their mercedes and filed the claim. they contacted me, no help to the good old NOPD! this city, is a joke and might be close to third world down here.
X-84 gtv6 2.5
X-83 gtv6 3.0
DaveH
Gold
Gold

Post by DaveH »

Vinny,

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Don't know the gage, but the dia is 1.75, I believe. The glass packs are 2". Sourced them (and the flex hose) on the internet. Pipes were mandrel-bent locally. Flanges are std 2" at the rear. I'll never use u-bolts again! Flanges at the manifold end are still to be decided - the local weld shop cut up my euro pipes and used the old flanges. I was really steamed about that. I think I will grind them off and try to use 2" flanges or go custom. The O2 sensor is a purchased weld-on bung; tapping wouldn't work so well.

2 months ago, I was making great progress on this system. Not any more though. Got v busy with other things. Plus I'm kind of frustrated with my Alfa these days. Makes it harder to administer TLC.

I will get back to this in the coming month or so. When I know it works and fits, I'll sell it for a lot less than equivalent CSC, Ansa or IAP products.

Oh, missed a question: it's not that hard, just a pain in the arse really.