Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

100 Euros would equate to over R1000 at current exchange rates here in South Africa.That's expensive for your average salary earner here.

I can thank Barry for teaching me one thing about dyno numbers.They are great for comparing before and after figures as Jim is doing for his book,but by and large there is too much BS and one should just rely on the size of the smile your motor gives you on a quiet road. :D

I can still recall when Barry sat beside me, laptop on hand ,and helped set up my Gotech's mixture for part throttle running one Saturday afternoon.Man alive when he changed it as I was driving and I could feel the improvement I was as happy as a pig in mud. :twisted:

The drive back home to my place was just superb because my problem was gone and I didn't need a dyno to tell me my car was running like a bomb. :D

You should hear some of the utterly amazing claims some twits here claim for there cars... :shock:
"Racing is life,everything before and after is just waiting."- Steve Mqueen
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Jim I think it's about time you move back to Canada :) $75 cdn buys me 3 runs.
Better yet toss those engines in a crate and I'll see that they are properly tested and stored - under the hood of my GTV6 :wink:
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

pancho wrote:hey fedyzyl, my dad is in Montevideo now, are there any GTV6 NOS parts in stock over there in any alfa repair shops ect ?

I will get him to bring them back for me if there are. :)
Hey Pancho! sadly there are no NOS parts for a GTV6 here, well, for most old alfa's really, two problems here, if I can recall there are only 3 gtv6's here, and one has just been imported from the U.S., as far as parts go, I don't know if your dad is going to be in Buenos Aires, but he can try out Repuestos Urquiza, their web page is www.rurquiza.com.ar, they've been very helpfull and have most of the things I need.
As far as the dyno cost, 100 dollars is 1/3 of the sallary of a cashier in a supermarket...so...I'd consider it a bit expensive, the problem is that you don't have a dyno operator that tunes up your car, it's basically you and the dyno...
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Move back to Toronto?....I've been away since 1979...it will be a whole different world now and from what I hear I'm not sure I'd like all the changes. Anyway, you decide to make serious changes when you got serious problems and thankfully that is not the case. I'm not doing too bad here!
As far as engines go, I just sold my previous one (minus cams, electronics and headers) for 2000Euros to a friend with a shot 3liter which I kept. I don't know if this is a good price or not but it seemed ok to me (junkyards sell them for 1200-1400 and in ?? condition)
Jim K.
rz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by rz »

@fernando you like your new engine ?
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

rz I cannot contain my excitement my friend. :D Not to long to go now and then Barry will have to smack me one on the side of the head to remove the stupid grin off my face :lol: :D
Alfaboy1970
Silver
Silver

Increasing power on my 3.0 12v GTV6

Post by Alfaboy1970 »

Hi I am looking to have some work done on my engine which is a 3.0 75 12v. I want to keep it 12v for something resembling original. But would like to increase power what can I get done within a reasonable budget?
Rookie ROX
Gold
Gold

Post by Rookie ROX »

Define "reasonable budget".

ROCK ON
R~R
Alfaboy1970
Silver
Silver

Engine mods/refurb

Post by Alfaboy1970 »

Hi I am looking to spend about £2000 sterling.
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

Alfaboy if you want to keep it 12v and make decent power then a single turbo setup is what I would recommend.I have driven in my firend's single 3 litre turbo that Barry built and let's just say you won't be dissapointed my friend. :D

It's a well documented build on this site.
Paul Bird
Gold
Gold

Post by Paul Bird »

Hi Alfaboy, where in the UK are you?
I am in sunny Dorset.

Paul UK
SimonB
Gold
Gold

Post by SimonB »

Have you read any of Greg Gordon's stuff about superchargers?
¡Si me gusta conducir, es porque conduzco un Alfa!

'84 GTV6 UK spec back on the road after 4 years!
05 Corolla daily driver
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

alfa boy, . for 2000 quid your'e not gonna get much. head work alone will cost you 1500 before putting it all back together, and 500 ain't going to get you much else, apart from manifolds maybe. I wouldn't even bother opening up the motor for £2k, unless you can do all labour yourself, or double your budget.

If you can find one, 2 grand will proably get you a running crap body of a 75 cloverleaf, to rob the engine from, probably the most cost effective use of £2000 if you know the engine is good.
Alfaboy1970
Silver
Silver

Thanks Fernando

Post by Alfaboy1970 »

I will look up the info on the site, did you change cams, pistons etc? What sort of BHP can you knock out and does your gearbox need to be modified? PS is your car on youtube?