Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I see what you mean Mats. You are correct. Using the AC to cool the charge as it comes in just wouldn't work. It would take a HUGE AC compressor and it would rob too much power when you turn it.

The method we are talking about simply cold soaks the intercooler during off boost driving so that's it's way below ambient temperature (like 40 or 50 degrees below) when the boost turns on.
terminator
Silver
Silver

Post by terminator »

Hi Barry,
Sorry to mislead you. Have no results yet as engine
is a the building stage. Have been thinking about
coating the engine internals while moding it.

Many thanks Barry
Giulietta24vTT
Gold
Gold

Post by Giulietta24vTT »

Very nice Barry!
I used both intercooler and Chargecooler on a 2.0 turbo Fiat\Lancia engine few years ago, I used 2 electric (renault Clio william's) heating recirculation pumps in row and a bmw 528 air con radiator with 2 Spal 9" push fans , it worked brilliantly....
That was a Subaru 2.5T legacy chargecoler that I chaged its air entrance direction.
Attachments
Chen_S_Fiat_Coupe16VT.JPG
Chen_S_Fiat_Coupe16VT.JPG (42.01 KiB) Viewed 9555 times
DSC00780.JPG
DSC00780.JPG (199.1 KiB) Viewed 9557 times
Chen S
ex Giulietta 24V Glenwood TT.
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

I am sorry to distract this discussion, but what is the difference between intercooling and chargecooling?
I am familiar with many cars that use intercoolers. I understand that some intercoolers use aircooling and others use water cooling (water is cooled by air).
What then is charge cooling?
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

James,strictly speaking,chargecooling refers to both methods-removing heat from the intake charge.

I think the water recirculating system has been given the terminology of chargecooler purely by definition....An intercooler is the air to air cooler ..
MerrilGordon
Gold
Gold

Post by MerrilGordon »

I wonder if the Diesel industry still uses the term "aftercooler"? That's how my Dad refers to them. He has a diesel technology degree from the early sixty's.

Merril
82 GTV6 3.0
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

ok, thanks for clearing that up.
I think that the term aftercooler does still circulate. I have seen it floating around often in my search results. (I have been trying to read about this sort of thing).
matt
Platinum
Platinum

Post by matt »

I like the Zuke bomb Barry, what are some general pump flow rules of thumb with an chargecooler like that size? 500+ GPH ????(bilge pump etc) the more the better???
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

zambon wrote:ok, thanks for clearing that up.
I think that the term aftercooler does still circulate. I have seen it floating around often in my search results. (I have been trying to read about this sort of thing).
Hah, this dates back to multiple stage supercharging on power gen and aircraft engines... an "Intercooler" was a chargecooler placed between stages of compressors, an "aftercooler" was a charge cooler placed between the last compressor and the engine.
gesus
Silver
Silver

Peltier cooling charge air?

Post by gesus »

Has anyone heard of, read, calculated on, seen or done a peliter installation?

You could, perhaps dramaticaly, increase cooling efficieny in a watercooled system with peltier-elements.

// Wyatt Eliasson
matt
Platinum
Platinum

Post by matt »

explain :wink:
gesus
Silver
Silver

Post by gesus »

A peltier element is a thin set of semiconductors which use a quantum physical effect of heat transportation. Its a heat pump run by electricity with no moving parts.

Its very simple to mount and understand. 2 cables, if you apply current one way it moves heat it the direction of the current.

It also generates heat on the side that it moves heat too.

They are effective when the temperature diffrence if big, say 30-200 C.
They are also very light weight. But expencive.
Atleast in a setup like this.

In this case you would use it between the water and watercooler to increase the amout of heat transfered.
Or, between the charge air interface to the water.

They can also be stacked to increase the heat difference but int this case the actual heat flow increase would be more intresting.

They could be a way to use a smaller radiator (lesser weight) or the same size with better output.

Wyatt Eliasson
matt
Platinum
Platinum

Post by matt »

gesus wrote:A peltier element is a thin set of semiconductors which use a quantum physical effect of heat transportation. Its a heat pump run by electricity with no moving parts.

Its very simple to mount and understand. 2 cables, if you apply current one way it moves heat it the direction of the current.

It also generates heat on the side that it moves heat too.

They are effective when the temperature diffrence if big, say 30-200 C.
They are also very light weight. But expencive.
Atleast in a setup like this.
Wyatt Eliasson
Geesus I dunno about this, it sounds like a miracle :D , have you got any pics of the set up?
It just that it sounds like some of the "fuel saver" theory stuff

Isn't this for computer chips etc 8)
gesus
Silver
Silver

Post by gesus »

I have no reference of it being used in cars yett. Its popular in mobile coolers and computer cooling.

If youve seen the minifridges with a 12V car connection, those are peltier cooled instead of compressor cooled.

So, no, but I wounder if you have any numbers on how many watts need to be transported to make it any fun.

//Wyatt Eliasson
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

Are intercoolers designed to be installed befor the supercharger or after?

filter-intercooler-charger-plenum
or
filter-charger-intercooler-plenum?

Vittorio