Terry Johnston
Gold
Gold

Brake Proportioning Valve

Post by Terry Johnston »

On a Alfa BB thread about improving GTV6 braking it was mentioned that braking could be improved on the earlier cars by putting in a later brake propotioning valve. Does anyone on this board have experience with this modification? I notice that IAP lists two valves; one through car 6831 (81-85) and ont for the post 631 cars. Would the later valve be a direct bolt on or would modifications be required?

Terry Johnston
83 CA GTV6 ( original owner)
Terry
Daniel
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Daniel »

I thought the later cars had a joiner in place of the pressure limiting valve (it is not true proportioning). I know that there are plenty over here that have tossed away the limit valve and put in the joiner from a late model - it is a bolt in.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Terry,

I dont use the limiter in my car just installed a joiner. Works very well after bleeding the system of course..
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

so it begs the question, why did alfa install the proportioning valve in the first place, if removing it results in such an improvemnt in braking. Surely removing it, screws up the brake balance for every day driving, or why put one in in the first place?

:?:
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

I think, for legal reasons mostly, the factory wanted to make absolutely sure that when the brakes locked up the fronts locked first. That way the car would be more likely to go straight forward in a skid instead of trying to swap ends.

'Tis my theroy anyway.

Scott