Jarle
Gold
Gold

Post by Jarle »

The first picture might fool you as the stock GTA calipper uses much shorter an wider pads than the WS.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Looks like the bottom of the caliper is further from the center then the top though. Maybe it's just the angle?
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Jarle
Gold
Gold

Post by Jarle »

Distance from disck OD in to the pads are 1mm measured on both top and bottom of the calipper. I am not a fotograph :)
fly_lice
Silver
Silver

Post by fly_lice »

Barry wrote:
Mats wrote:
What's that, M10? I'd be worried...

Never! No problems here with m10..You will break your finger off in your ass before those m10 will shear!

The problem is that there is no way that the friction between the bracket and the spindle can take that kind of torque on a small PCD like that. The bolt will take a lot of that load in shear.
That's not the proper way to design it, but I guess you don't care until the bolt snap.

A friend of mine has broken off the whole mount on a stock caliper once, that was "interesting" I bet.

Sore arse's aside. Has anyone actually designed an adaptor that everyone approves of for the GTA caliper? No offense to Kevin's design.
|-Transaxle Pride-|
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

A friend of mine dug up something in his basement the holly (and bloody heavy) Volvo Girling calipers, i didnt really knew how they looked till i unpacked them in my garage...
I have never seen them in person before but I have gut feeling :lol: that these bear some signs of "barn engineering"
Piston... adjustment...nut??????????
Does this appear to be grinded off material or just the casting?
Aaand the the big riddler here... Solid "something" wtf?

Diversity is what keeps nature going, guess that does not apply to machines...
And normal pistons on the other side...
Ok so question, salvagable or junk?
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

And that's what people consider an upgrade to an Alfa LOL.

I get €80,- per tonne for stuff like that.
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

Well that was more of a rethorical question :lol: Moral from the story is, don't ask for parts in black garbadge bags especially if you were having few beers before
Jarle
Gold
Gold

Post by Jarle »

My last rear brake setup for the race car, with 282 discs an 4 pot (1,38") Willwods.
Attachments
Rear 004.jpg
Rear 004.jpg (99.73 KiB) Viewed 8234 times
Rear 003.jpg
Rear 003.jpg (131.73 KiB) Viewed 8234 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Very nice. Definately not short of stopping power on rear. Where the pics of your front set up again.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Sorry, got it on page before. (must look before ask)
grant
Platinum
Platinum

Post by grant »

Can you feel the difference in unsprung weight? Is it pretty small in the scope of things, or is there a definite trade off by utilizing out board rears?
BMW's are the ultimate driving machine!

I'm kidding -- please don't ban me.
x
Gold
Gold

Re: Some more brake upgrades for the 116-Barry

Post by x »

One more type of brake upgrade which i consider enough for street/trackday application on any non-turbo 4cyl GTV:

285X22mm discs and AP Racing/Galfer 4pots on custom CNC machined alloy bells and longer wheel studs.

The setup fits the original Campagnolo 15in wheels perfectly (without spacers) but it did need 8mm ones to clear the Ronal Turbo 7x15 wheels.

Considerable improvement in stopping power versus the previous setup (gtv6 Brembos and 265x22mm discs). 8)

X
Attachments
Front discs (1).JPG
Front discs (1).JPG (165.98 KiB) Viewed 7450 times
Front discs (2).JPG
Front discs (2).JPG (144.47 KiB) Viewed 7451 times
Wheel stud comparison.JPG
Wheel stud comparison.JPG (148.51 KiB) Viewed 7448 times
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

We're NOT interested in 4-cyl stuff. This is a SIX cylinder site! Is this so difficult to understand?? :oops: Come back when you have 2 more cylinders and we will review your case with sympathy, since you obviously seem to come from an underdeveloped country where 4-cyl non-turbo cars are still used! :roll:
Jim K.
x
Gold
Gold

Post by x »

Oh my dear Jim...

Please do not hesitate to contact me in order to supply you with some properly made studs (wheel ones i mean :twisted: ) and show you the correct use
of some penetration techniques... :D :D

I have to constantly remind you by the way, that it was YOU who wrote NOT ONE but TWO WHOLE F.....G BOOKS ONE THESE ENGINES turning
all of us into performance junkies and now that you are just about to exceed the two-tonne weight limit :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: with your six-cylinder monster
maybe the world NIMBLE will start to remind you of something lost a long, long time ago...

X

P.S Have you considered my offer for buying your motor for my lawnmower (i have to cut some gr...asss) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Recommended procedure: Buy a jar of Vaseline and start practicing with die-cast 1:43 models first, before gradually moving up to a full-size 4-cyl gtv (for which you'll probably need an industrial size drum of the slippery stuff). I'm sure the Guinness people will be very interested in the final picture! :shock: :mrgreen: :twisted:
Jim K.