With the oldest GTV6 nearing 40 years in service, a forum to document projects and restoration seems sensible.
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Re: SA GTV6 2.5 restoration and few minor mods !

Post by KevinR »

Hey Z, good call there on deOxit. Looks like great product and you can get it here at 20£ a can.
Regarding air con I only used it to demist as the few hot days above 30 degrees we do get here i savour them up with windows open hearing the V6 sound :D .
I used to have a small Sanden compressor in one of my old GTV 6 in SA . Worked brilliantly!
I need to do some research on the AC as I want to change the drier bottle and regas. But I need to figure out the wiring to the drier bottle.
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Been plodding along get things done here and there. Realised if I don't write things down or record belt sizes for fan belts it becomes a pain to source the correct size. The slightly smaller sizes are a major struggle ( finger breaker) to get on. The ones listed on parts menus from spares shops are way to tight, so this size in pic sits perfectly and alternator is not up against body. Off topic : Just wish I photographed the part number of the BMW centre coupling I used ages ago and told SimonB to get. My mate with black 75 that I share unit with was needing to get one so if anyone has that part number .. Let me know.
Note in pic below you can see stainless steel pulley plate for aircon belt Alfa South Africa used.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (136.3 KiB) Viewed 6182 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (117.39 KiB) Viewed 6182 times
Last edited by KevinR on Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

I had radiator checked in SA but while it was our. I had T piece also plated as it was showing signs of corrosion. Also checked fans spin freely. In UK I have seen loads of radiators that corrode on bottom rail and fall totally apart from condensation over time so I treated this area with Dinitrol spray.
The hoses were changed recently so no need for new ones.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (136.96 KiB) Viewed 6179 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (147.12 KiB) Viewed 6179 times
Last edited by KevinR on Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

While is spraying Dinitrol corosion protection film on radiator bottom rail I sprayed in front cross member and under front valance. All helps in the UK. Amazing all things you have to do to protect the car from rusting in UK. Thank goodness it does not have a sun roof ( rust trap ) .
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (134.07 KiB) Viewed 6178 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (132.73 KiB) Viewed 6178 times
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Jumping to rear of car notably the battery well I replaced the bolt and checked the area around Earth strap for good connection. This has caught me out before. Also a protruding bolt with out copper grease at the rear end will become a nightmare to remove if corroded by salts.
I have installed a kill switch ( screw type) . These have good contact area and I have not noticed any voltage drop on these. Good security as well.
Some areas in battery well had very light surface corrosion from acid "fumes" . Some Upol rust primer and and a coat of paint it's looking good to go.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (128.44 KiB) Viewed 6177 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (193.03 KiB) Viewed 6177 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (101.04 KiB) Viewed 6177 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (93.41 KiB) Viewed 6177 times
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Parts and pieces ( bits and bobs)'arrived for box. I stripped it down and saw what was worn but lacked the skill in assembling it perfectly so got a pro ( Wayne)?to finish changing the synchros, replace a hub, a selector fork and swap two synchros around. Thanks MD for your guidance on this as well .
Once back it found its way onto the sunny assembling table outside :D
In pic you can clearly see the new synchros, hub and replace fork.
The usual copper grease coating the slave. This makes it easier to swivel when bleading clutch getting nipple on top.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (153.98 KiB) Viewed 6177 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (140.41 KiB) Viewed 6177 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (138.72 KiB) Viewed 6177 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (157.82 KiB) Viewed 6177 times
Last edited by KevinR on Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

The rear calipers have been serviced by BiggRed ( Tony) to go with some new discs and pads. Must say I had excellent service and turnaround time. You have options if you want them plated or painted depending on your time constraints. I have temporary put these on the gearbox now as I will assemble it at the car . It's will be to heavy for me to carry out to car and attach on own so unfortunately doing the lighter harder way .
The guest bedroom getting cluttered now ! Still got a new GTA engine with mock up conversion parts on it for GTV and Bmw diff in a cradle to bolt in the dedion ... For another day and another project car !
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (133.11 KiB) Viewed 5907 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (138.49 KiB) Viewed 6144 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (132.55 KiB) Viewed 6144 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (123.41 KiB) Viewed 6177 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (119.03 KiB) Viewed 6177 times
Last edited by KevinR on Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

It would have been easier to do complete assembly of box with brake discs , clutch etc and drop A frame then raise it all up into the car. Unfortunately on driveway slope and no way to slide the box on the jack it gone in partly assembled. Lot more work!!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (149.98 KiB) Viewed 6136 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (189.36 KiB) Viewed 6143 times
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Kevin,
Your dedication to this car is exemplary but your determination is beyond belief.
For the readers out there that actually get their hands dirty and work on these machines know exactly what it takes to get the job done and how difficult it is to work under the car without a hoist. I have done it for years but always in my domestic garage with a smooth concrete floor to provide a reliable and steady jack platform. The gravel area you are working on has got to be my definition of a nightmare. I amazed that you are not regularly visiting the doctor to cure the gravel rash on your aggotts that creep out of your shorts while you are on your back.

I can see that you are doing the best you can under the circumstance and you have my complete admiration. For that you get my MD special GONG AWARD for being the most determined bastard I know.

Now don't sit around polishing that award. Go out and sink a dozen Foster's to celebrate and get a cab home on me. We love ya mate. :D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Hahahah Md ! Thanks again . Must admit it was pretty shitty yesterday after work. Half way doing side shafts, battling with clutch housing and then the heavens opened !!! Faaaaark! It was then I swore blind not to do this again outside on slope in gravel ! Weather has changed now as summer is literally over but all is good and really close now to put it on its wheels. I am still waiting for them to come back from refurb after 5 weeks. I have the spare Compomotives which will go on now in meantime.
So close now but still some interior items to finish but that's easy compared to taking three hours to move gearbox into position on gravel and cardboard with out scratching the powder coating etc !
Might watch some test cricket to today ( I see the sandpaper boys are in good position over the poms ) :wall:
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

I have previously done this on one of my cars before and felt it made small difference to driving position( big enough difference to feel really comfortable) ... and that was to lengthen the original steering wheel boss by 20mm. Now some might think what waste of time , just replace the steering wheel with a smaller more comfortable wheel and aftermarket boss.
I do prefer the size of the standard wheel for a road going car on the GTV with 7J wheels as it makes life slightly easier in and around town driving. On the 75 with power steering it would definitely be a smaller steering wheel.
I use two steering wheels and cut the base off the one boss and then cut the other base of boss 20mm into it . Then I get it professionally welded in the groove.
The plastic shroud also gets lengthened. It might look weird but you can't see any difference in the car.
So now with the gear lever bent towards the driver and wheel extended you don't feel like you should be the long armed, short legged being !
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (120.54 KiB) Viewed 6090 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (127.7 KiB) Viewed 6090 times
Last edited by KevinR on Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Then add the 20mm from the one wheel to the other with some professional welding.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (107.45 KiB) Viewed 6089 times
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Finally ! And now driving position feels spot on ! ..... For a a GTV 6
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (117.26 KiB) Viewed 6089 times
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Interesting solution Kevin. On my racer what seems to fix the driving position is a deep dished steering wheel. Effectively producing a similar reach outcome.

More than the steering position, the biggest pain in the butt with the GTV for me is the angle and location of the accelerator. In 5 minutes my ankle is in total pain and about to explode. Once again in the racer I have completely reworked this set up but it is not suitable for the road vehicle. Best I have come up with is a variety of springs to really stiffen the action so that I can almost rest my foot on it without the engine revs unintentionally rising.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Md, I have never had an issue with the accelerator pedal and ankle issues until I drove a UK car and after half hour on the motor way I could feel the cramp coming on :D :D :D :D :D
So all South African cars right from my 1976 Alfetta came fitted with a " ankle rest " or foot rest. Your shoe rests comfortably on the side and your leg and ankle is totally relaxed.
Have a look a the standard set up on the SA cars. I made a mould of this and sold a few over the years to UK owners.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (158.4 KiB) Viewed 6048 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (156.47 KiB) Viewed 6048 times