With the oldest GTV6 nearing 40 years in service, a forum to document projects and restoration seems sensible.
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New GTV6 project, 1981 Rosso

Post by Michael »

Oh wow, thanks Kevin!!
Michael
1981 GTV6
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

I made some improvements to the air intake system. Ignore the zip-ties, I have some proper stainless clamps on order :).
I previously had a temporary configuration with a cone filter in the same location as the standard canister filter. I saw in the logs that the Intake Air Temp was usually 30 degrees F higher than ambient, even when moving at speed. This makes sense as the filter was taking in hot engine compartment air. The change I made is to move the filter to the compartment behind the headlight. I just used a 3" hole saw to cut a hole for a 90 degree aluminum elbow. I also cut some louver style vents into the metal shield thinking that I could improve air through-flow. You can see the outline of the red intake cone filter behind the louver slits. This seems to have worked well as the Megasquirt logs show that the Air Intake Temp is now only a degree or two above ambient. The car felt faster too. All in all, the new Megasquirt is working extremely well. Feels much smoother and the improvement in torque is impressive.
Attachments
Megasquirt_ColdAir001.jpg
Megasquirt_ColdAir001.jpg (207.04 KiB) Viewed 4719 times
Megasquirt_ColdAir003.jpg
Megasquirt_ColdAir003.jpg (194.85 KiB) Viewed 4719 times
Michael
1981 GTV6
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

Hey Mike,

Is it still possible to get the SA bonnet and spoiler? I'm thinking of getting it for my dad's '84 GTV6 3.0.
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

Yes they are available. The car I bought had a broken standard front air dam and missing tea-tray so I wanted to buy fiberglass replacements from Bob at Alfa Panels in the UK. I noticed he also made a SA 3.0 spoiler and bonnet, easy choice for me :D . His panels look good, but plan to spend lots of time fitting because you just get a fiberglass shell, need to fabricate mounts and trim to the contours of your cars body.
The bonnet has the hinge mounting points ready to go though. Also an inner frame also made from fiberglass and also the threads to attach a standard bonnet closing clasp. One thing I need to figure out before mounting the bonnet is that it's really lightweight and I'm a bit concerned that using the same force as I use to close the standard steel bonnet would eventually damage it. Maybe some reinforcement is needed.

http://fantastique.se/alfapanels/index.html
Michael
1981 GTV6
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Hi Michael
I have one printed already . Drop me an email and I will send to pics of how it came out etc .
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

Thanks Kevin! How did you accomplish this so quickly? I'm guessing 3d scanning and a 3d printer? My employer has one of these printers available for experimentation and I've been meaning to play with it a bit 🙂
I'll send a PM.
Michael
1981 GTV6
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

I have had a few people ask me for an update on the project, its been literal years so I thought I'd make a YouTube video, rather than just post a bunch of pics.

Check it our here:
https://youtu.be/c6oOSBiKCzA

Michael
1981 GTV6
Alfaaa1
Gold
Gold

Post by Alfaaa1 »

Hi Michael.
Great Video , Your car looks great. :D
gtv-racer
Platinum
Platinum

Post by gtv-racer »

Verry nice looking gtv6! 8)
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Beautiful
Dr. Alban
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

Latest installment - help me replace my door hinge pins!!
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4942
Michael
1981 GTV6