Any and all Alfa Romeo Car advertisements (complete cars).
drivers71
Silver
Silver

1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6 3.0 Homologation FIA Group One

Post by drivers71 »

WELL YET ANOTHER HAS COME OUT OF HIDING - This car is extremely RARE due to a limited production and totally UNIQUE in terms of her engineering! She represents one of those few motor cars that became a legend, and a South African national icon virtually from launch date!

The ALFA ROMEO GTV6 3.0 Litre with six Dellorto Carburettors was exclusively manufactured in South Africa during the period of 1983-85 – to meet the Homologation requirement of the FIA under Group One rules then. These cars were built in order to remain competitive in the SA Group One series – at the time BMW displaced 3.5 litres in comparison to the standard GTV6 2.5 litre engine. To overcome the difference in output “Alfa Romeo South Africa” approached Milan about a possible solution and arrangements were made for Alfa Romeo SA to take over an AUTODELTA project which increased the engine size to 3.0 litres. The Alfa Romeo of ITALY 3.0 fuel injection engine was only launched internationally in 1987 – several years later. The modifications increased both the bore and stroke, requiring different cylinder head castings, crankshaft, pistons and sleeves, and larger valves. The standard Bosch L-Jetronic injection system was replaced with the 6 carburettor setup from the big six saloon. A bonnet with an even larger bulge was needed to accommodate the carb’s and air cleaner - this also had a large forward facing NACA air intake duct. The car also had a deeper front spoiler fitted which lowered the radiator temp by 5 degrees C. Other changes were a lowered and stiffened suspension and wider Pirelli P7's (205/50 VR 15's) on Compomotive split-rim alloy wheels. The ALFA ROMEO Factory Racing Team in South Africa established an incredible FIA Group One racing track-record during her very limited production life. If you have experienced the sound of a GTV 2,5 / 3.0 Fuel Injection model on full song, wait until you have heard this baby wail at 4,000 RPM - not even close to full taps. It was a very successful car - and held the title of the fastest locally produced car in South Africa until Alfa Romeo left South Africa in 1986.

This is one of the very few "Full Dash" models built to this specification before production ceased. She is finished in brilliant RED with Charcoal velour upholstery, preserved in CONCOURSE standard and meticulously maintained by her ALFA Workshop owner.

Even in South Africa today it is virtually impossible to find one of these cars on the market that is in this condition and original per factory specification. Only 212 cars came off the assembly line, of which the last 6 were fitted with Fuel injection. It is estimated that as few as 25 cars remain worldwide, including the fettered versions that have been modified and converted to fuel injection which does not offer the same performance.

How many 25-year old classic cars, with a production run of only 206 units can you buy for less? This car surely falls in to the “Garage Gold” fraternity? Priced at GBP23,700 which includes the CIF Container shipping to the UK/EU but no duties applicable to the port of entry.

I have already delivered one of these to a UK client – reference available from the poster of this thread (Drivers71) – admittedly this example is substantially more which just ratifies that they are extremely difficult to come by.

Peter Jackson (S Africa)
5 Dipidax Road, Bloubergrand 7441, Cape Town, Western Cape Province, South Africa
tel: 0027-83-334-9523
Attachments
1947209.jpg
1947209.jpg (33.48 KiB) Viewed 12751 times
1947207.jpg
1947207.jpg (40.09 KiB) Viewed 12751 times
1947205.jpg
1947205.jpg (37.86 KiB) Viewed 12751 times
1947203.jpg
1947203.jpg (36.5 KiB) Viewed 12751 times
1947201.jpg
1947201.jpg (32.31 KiB) Viewed 12751 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Re: 1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6 3.0 Homologation FIA Group One

Post by kevin »

Hey , I know that car. It belongs or belonged to Massi. He stays a few km from me.
It's great car mechanically and it's the only one in SA with straight bumper.(no uv) If you have to get picky it does not have the original brake booster but I know he still has it and the steering wheel and rims are not original.( I actually prefer these rims but would have a spare original set for concours) I believe there are about 50 still out there as I managed to get 23 lined up at our concours 5 years ago BUT they are less than 15 in worthwhile condition
I have just come across two 3.0 which are in deceased estates but have not been licensed since 1988. Whew the penalties and lawyers crap but I am pursuing it other they will left to rot for another 20 years.
I won't sell mine.
arguti
Silver
Silver

Post by arguti »

I know these are getting rare and decent ones are few and far between but is this car honestly in concours condition. It may be in great mechanical condition but to me, concours means well, concours.

Am I being too picky?????

For example, I would not describe my car as concours but I certainly would be happy to eat a meal off my air filter as it were.

kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

I agree with you . So if i had to score on clenliness from scale 1 to 10 there would be an 8 point difference between your car and the one above. I know I am going to get hell from the boys my side but thats a reality. but i did say its a great car and i believe it can be put into concours shape with a lot of elbow grease. Its one of those cars thats never been abused just driven .Yours is definatly concours. It would score top marks on cleanliness and condition , loose a bit on some non original pieces(now you know why judges are hated). Geez if you can see the painntwork behind the accelerator linkage and in shock tower sparkle like yours then its in going for gold in our concours. I will post pics from our concours when it comes up and if you want to go to painstaking trouble to do small items to be 100% original looking I can send pics of engine bay ie bonnet lining,airbox cover . But personally I would not touch such a perfect looking GTV3.0L
arguti
Silver
Silver

Post by arguti »

Kevin

I was not criticising the car itself but rather the advert description. If you want to advertise the car as concourse at a concourse price, then make sure the photos you put up reflect the description.

My car was prepared by Alex Jupe here in the UK -Alex works on several of my cars and he will be the first to confirm that my cars are not all garage queens, just this baby.

Kevin apart from the under bonnet lining and upgraded air con, what on my car is non original. I have some replacement decals for the engine bay, just have not got around to putting them on.

please post photos, not aiming to win prizes but rather wanting to buy another one of these and need to know the obsessive details.

is the 3.0 original bonnet lining same as the 2.5 "standard" GTV6?

thanks Stephen
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

As mentioned i would not touch a thing especially on hood lining as the bonnets / hoods did deflect with heat so that lining you have is far better than original and help preserve car. There are only 3 stickers on engine bay . Viz water bottle, windscreen washer bottle, and brake booster. None on airfilter. Airfiler centre cover was an off blueish colour.
Stephen were you looking for boonet grills ?