Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

Mats, I think it is not so difficult to make lower arm with torsionbars lighter.
The oem lower arm is an U shaped, some square or round tube with material at the right places can do the same with less weight. The biggets problem would be making the splines for the torsion bars. I'm not sure if the splines from oem part (cast iron?) can be seperated and welded into the new construction.
Banned.. ? ;-) Daily donky.. ==> BMW 325d Image
E36M3 (3.0) Ringtool :twisted: ==> definitely BANNED!

AR 75 TS Ringtool '90, AR Spider 2000 veloce '79
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

Maurizio wrote:oem part (cast iron?)
I'd lay money on it being a steel forging.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

No, cast iron. Pretty useless...
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

Mats wrote:No, cast iron. Pretty useless...
Really? I'll admit its 3 years since i've seen one in the flesh!
bollox. Should be really easy to build a strong enough tubular arm then (Cast Iron = shithouse in tension).
I'm astounded. If someone like ford used forged steel components in '60s family cars, why the hell did Alfa cop out on this?

Oh well.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Just finished the upper control arms. Gives great clearance on the coil over. Nightmare to machine at the correct angle for the press fit sealed bearing.
Attachments
Img_1729.jpg
Img_1729.jpg (116.29 KiB) Viewed 11046 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Still making a whole lot of pins to get the optimal distance between the upper control arm and hub. Just a temporary pin made from a machined ball joint to hold it together until final one is made.
Attachments
Img_1734.jpg
Img_1734.jpg (121.28 KiB) Viewed 11045 times
75 GTA
Gold
Gold

Post by 75 GTA »

That´s a real jewel !!!

Are you tempted to sell some brand new pieces?
75 TS Road specs
75 TS Gr N
146 TS
Andrew.b
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Andrew.b »

kevin wrote:Just finished the upper control arms. Gives great clearance on the coil over. Nightmare to machine at the correct angle for the press fit sealed bearing.
Mmmm. that looks very familiar Kevin :wink:

Have you road tested it yet?
Andrew b
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

:D Nice Kev,great job....

Andrew,thanks for the loan of the originals...Ol` Kev was sweating bullets making these...now when can we the uprights??.....

Hey,when is your car arriving??..

For the road Ive gone with std. balljoints fitted to the arms...

Thanks again Kev... :D
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Thanks Andrew for supplying the originals. Had two machines running for a day just to cut four pairs. Not the lightest items around but thats not a problem for me as the torsion bars are history and will make up the lower arms shortly, so i will still be ahead in weight (saving).
I dont think any sets for resale use at this stage will be made as its a lot more costly than I thought. If there is enough interest and can get price down then we can make a plan. Barry and I are working on this aspect at the moment. If any one is interested contact Barry.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Just finished making pins. These pins are non adjustable unless I remove the taper in the stub then I can have a straight shaft and add spaces to the pins. I will try that if this set is not perfect for my set up.
This is probably the first case where some one has cut(destroyed) beautiful 305mm to 290mm so they can be used in a fifteen inch rim with the eight pot calipers. This 305mm will normally work in the 15nch rim if I was using smaller calipers. Sorry for cutting your discs Barry. (yeah i know I am going backwards but I have to use 15nch for race regs). Anti roll bar is in the making. Wish our currency was stronger so I can just order from RS.
Anyway here the pics
Attachments
Img_1747.jpg
Img_1747.jpg (127.18 KiB) Viewed 10757 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Testing rim size
Attachments
Img_1749.jpg
Img_1749.jpg (111.72 KiB) Viewed 10754 times
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Kev,stick the inner on as well..it normally fouls where the tyre goes into the fitment groove on the inner of the rim..

Verrrr nice ,huh??
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Yeah, it clears no problem. its just the the 6mm bolts that brush close to the bleed screw. I am using a 7mm spacer to stop the inner from touching.
Thanks
tomp
Gold
Gold

Post by tomp »

If someone goes to the trouble of fabbing lower A-arm I wonder if it would be worthwhile to put (taper)rollers bearings in place of the bushings. Those bushings are under some load at least on a torsion bar car. Perhaps the coil-over reduces the need. Has anyone worked out good dimensions for arms and uprights to optimize a lowered track car?
-Tom P.