Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
Alfettish
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Alfettish »

Very interesting dimensions when compared with Rice... Mr2 is alot wider.
The Alfetta, Little Big Car.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Mike,BRILLIANT !!!!

8) 8) 8) 8)
Now why on earth would you attach a snow plough to the front....also love the headers..! :!:
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Mats, that blue 2l 105 being driven by Jason is a really well sorted car and has had many years of perfecting it as well . Jason himself is an excellent driver and drives the ring off it. Having said that, given some reasonable track time to sort the Alfetta out in terms of gearing and other minor tweaks, it's my belief that the 116 chassis is superior and we should be up to the challenge.

The real test of course is to put Jason in the Brick around the same track and see which car does the better times... :idea:

Bazza. I tried hard so you could I wouldn't let you down. Glad you like it.
The snow plough is my comic answer to the wank factor of jet sized wings on cars.

Gotta admit, it gives a four door mum's taxi some attitude don't you think !! :D

The headers look like a piece of cake but it took three days of work to fabricate and get the tuned lenghts just right. I hope you like the way I managed to get the system between the firewall and the steering rack cross member instead of under it. I don't know why Alfa didn't do that in the first place.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Rookie ROX
Gold
Gold

Post by Rookie ROX »

Here's a couple more for you from the Alfesta Show and Shine - Looking very nice indeed!

ROCK ON
R~R
Attachments
Alfesta 2008 120.jpg
Alfesta 2008 120.jpg (156.4 KiB) Viewed 7284 times
Alfesta 2008 121.jpg
Alfesta 2008 121.jpg (143.86 KiB) Viewed 7283 times
GTV27
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GTV27 »

Mike - you are too kind. I too think a properly sorted 116 will be on the pace.

My GTV6 is about 1 second a lap off the 105, but the difference is staggering - whereas I can hot lap the 105 all day at that pace, the GTV6 will do about 3 laps before its brakes and tyres are shot. That's the difference between a developed race car and a fast road car on the track (the extra 200kg makes a big contribution too).

However, a sorted lightweight 116 with good power should be able to take the fight to the fast 105s - you may well be the first!

In terms of a back to back comparo - happy to have a steer sometime.
Jason
1983 GTV6 2.8 litre
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Had our second outing in the Brick at Queensland Raceway yesterday. Bit of an anticlimax. Car generally going well but discovered it has a mystery oil leak from the transmission. Yet to get it on the hoist and track the problem down. Also still sorting out rear damper/spring rates which don't seem to suit this track at the end of the main straight that has a a few camel humps for a surface.

To keep things as Alfa as possible using an original split dash tacho. This fella wants a completely different signal to the output of the Motec and so there is an electrical issue that I need to sort out too but we are making inroads to that so I am confident we will solve the problem. Living on the shift light at the moment..

Here's my mate Jacko gridding up..
Attachments
Brick Griding up 2nd Outing.jpg
Brick Griding up 2nd Outing.jpg (28.46 KiB) Viewed 6191 times
Last edited by MD on Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Mike,
Haltech`s sit will give you a diagram for making a little circuit that gets signal direct from the coil neg...back EMF is measured ..
Few resistors,Zener diode and a 1N4006 diode..
On the instrument fit a 1k pull up resistor and Jim`s your uncle !!

You remember Haltech ? That Ozzy si....never mind.. :D
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Thank you Barry.

I beleive the Motec answer will be simpler. It provides a 5v output pulse and the tacho needs 12v. I am told that an "NPN" transistor will do the job of lifting the voltage. Going to try that first.

If the configuration works, I will post the circuit together with credits for it.

Cheers
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Motec`s output is a PWM-pulse width modulated output.
"Our" tacho`s need the very high back emf voltage to work..IOW they're highly "dampened" or put another way,very de sensitized..

Modern tachs use PWM inputs..no probs.
It all boils down to old vs new tech..been there,many times....

To overcome it simply replace the old Alfa tach with a modern itchyfanny something from a ....well....itchyfanny something !!
:roll: :D
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

My tach was about 1k rpm off at high revs, everything was discovered when I had some problems with the logger and compared the two with a timing light tach. original tach read low and logger read high.
New software update fixed the logger and a new tach replaced the Alfa unit.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Cripes, is there anything left simple in life?

Really appreciate the advice guys. Interesting stuff about the back EMF Barry. Useful too.

You are all more than likely asking the obvious question , why the f**k dont I just go out and buy a contempory itchy mickey tacho with shift light, fog light, hair drier, sun lamp, & drink holder and be done with it.

I KNOW IT WILL WORK. YOU KNOW IT WILL WORK.

So why don't I do it?

The same reason I left the torsion bars on it.

Aesthetics.

Some things Alfa are just sacrosanct.(to me) :D

Besides that, my mate Paul Bird in the UK tracked down this binacle set up for me and mailed it to OZ. Now what sort of an arseh*le would I be and not use it in the end? It just isn't going to happen even if I have to tie a windmill to it and give it some eco energy to work, hahhaaa.

OK enough bolony for one night....

See yaz..
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

why the f**k dont you just go out and buy a contempory itchy mickey tacho with shift light, fog light, hair drier, sun lamp, & drink holder and be done with it.

It might even be ACCURATE!

And put an Alfa sticker on it!

Sorry 8)
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Classic Micke !! :D :D

Mate, that would be like using a condom with a pin hole in it... very unsportsman like :D
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

You been bust ! :D
Attachments
sshot-9.png
sshot-9.png (32.11 KiB) Viewed 6995 times
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Easy to spot using the "aussie racing helmet" :shock: