Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

My 2.0 is at 107 dB with one "muf". With 110 allowed it would be tricky without one ;-)
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

....sheit !! Still no exhaust system today. Got the tow truck all ready and booked. Even roped in the Missuz to pay the guy when it arrived 'cause I was at work all for sweet F. A.

They have made a start and dropped tools after one of the fitters had and accident working on another car and so the one guy left just had too much on to finish it. All fine and dandy but..8 days to go ( I need to drop a big goldie right here but I know Zamani is gonna be on my case so I will be good. Got enough of a hidding for Bazzas muf joke)

....please be quiet for a moment, I am counting sweat beads.. :D

...er Jason, the first event is on the 16th. As for no mufflers, I thought the noise limits were set at 90dB(A) which is a real wank 'cause most Alfa induction noise is more than that.

Here's a pic of the office..
Attachments
Brick interior layout.jpg
Brick interior layout.jpg (39.56 KiB) Viewed 6006 times
Brick rear interior.jpg
Brick rear interior.jpg (39.41 KiB) Viewed 6006 times
Last edited by MD on Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Don't think but check!

How much and how it is measured.
And I'd seriously recommend doing it BEFORE building the exhaust.
GTV27
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GTV27 »

Mike you should be right with a large straight through resonator and maybe a hotdog if it barks too much (geddit?).

I think the noise limit is higher than 90 - maybe 95, but I've never seen it tested anywhere.

Good luck with the first run. I'll be out at Morgan Park that weekend, so will have to get the report on line.
Jason
1983 GTV6 2.8 litre
Rookie ROX
Gold
Gold

Post by Rookie ROX »

The dB limit as per CAMS standards is 95db. However, if you want to run at Lakeside any time, they've got a strictly enforced 90dB which is the legal street limit.

According to the CAMS manual, it's no higher than 95dB when measured 30m from the track edge - http://www.camsmanual.com.au/pdf/genera ... B_Q108.pdf

Be wary that general testing (by the police and what not) though is at a 45 degree angle at a distance of 500mm at about 4000rpm and the level on throttle release - http://www.ntc.gov.au/filemedia/Reports ... pt2006.pdf

ROCK ON
R~R
Last edited by Rookie ROX on Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Thanks guys for the figures. In any real sense, the actual difference between the sound intesity of 90 and 95 db(A) is sweet F.A.

Jason, I've heard some stuff out there at Morgan Park that is WAY beyond that ie. in the region of 135db(A) !! So yes its getting some attenuation but absolutely minimal to be sure.

...no exhaust today. But hey I got a complete new cut down wiring loom instead, ooh yeah! Installed my alloy overflow tank and oil vapour condensor tank, fuel pump, alternator, all hoses and filled up with coolant to test it all. It's all good.

So now I have fuel, electrics, brakes, front suspension only,no exahust,coolants and lubricants in. Next week should see exhaust done, rear suspension in and all of it set up and a modified clutch slave fitted.

..hopefullynext week the Dutch post office will be kind to me and deliver the exhaust cam dizzy driver part..

..gonna be tight...(no wise cracks Bazzarooney) :D
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Aw gees..I had such a good one lined up... :D :D

Mike,You got them 30l bars in the racer?
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Hahaa

If you mean the front suspension torsion bars, the answer is YES. I have combined them for a front spring rate equivalent of 600lbs by using your bars and some Eibach coil overs, re-valved Koni yellows, modified top and bottom arms, moded castor rod, revised steering arms for bump steer , no bump stop .

Experimenting with sway bars so can't say what the final set up is and that goes for a lot of the changes to the car I suppose. Many of them are unproved so let's hope they work well, otherwise, you know the deal...
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

And still alot of talk and no pictures :lol:
Banned.. ? ;-) Daily donky.. ==> BMW 325d Image
E36M3 (3.0) Ringtool :twisted: ==> definitely BANNED!

AR 75 TS Ringtool '90, AR Spider 2000 veloce '79
OzMidnight
Silver
Silver

Post by OzMidnight »

What does your car weigh in at? Apparently mine came in at 849kg ,minus driver but I've removed a little since then. I'd like to remove a lot but spaceframe setups are rather costly!!! It's running 350lb springs on the front coilovers, I believe, with a recommendation in the notes from the previous owner about trying 450lb springs. No idea on the rear spring rates or the sway bar sizes as I've been too slack to measure them.
Non Illigitimi Carborundum
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

849 kg :shock: that's really impressive. do you have a rollcage filled with helium? :wink:
Drive it like you stole it...
OzMidnight
Silver
Silver

Post by OzMidnight »

That's going on the numbers provided by the previous owner. Interior is very stripped, has fibreglass bonnet and rear hatch, with plastic windows.
Non Illigitimi Carborundum
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

When you were a kid and your mum & dad presented you with a new pair of rubber boots so naturally you had to try them out on all kinds of puddles cause now you were aqua immune? That is until you had a crack at that small insignificant puddle but instantly wound up in mud and yuck up to your nuts?

Building race cars is a lot like skipping puddles in rubber boots..you just never know when you're up to your nuts in it..

..no exhaust today..!#$%##!!@&^^**%$^# !!!!
Attachments
Race car progress.gif
Race car progress.gif (52.71 KiB) Viewed 7147 times
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

What's the saying? Have exhaust will travel?
Yep got exhaust but it is so low, I need another pair of wheels under it to go over the bumps! Gotta raise the height of the car to deal with it. Moocho dissapointo..

So now the suspension crowd are trying to wrap up their part. Should have it back in 2 days. I'll believe it when i see it.

..and with all this hussle, would you believe we are having unseasonal rains and the week -end is forecast to be heavy rains. Like, far out man..

.might need to those gum boots after all... :D
Dennis
Gold
Gold

Post by Dennis »

Psssst MD! Racetracks don't have bumps, just curbs. And you don't want to over them with your exhaust. :wink:

Still no sign of your exhaustcam thingy :?:
'81 GTV6 3.0 QV
'91 75 TS (track)
'02 BMW 330i Touring