Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Assembled car yesterday with my oldman(70+yrs). Critical thing for me was the door locks. Nothing worse than coming aroun the corner and the door swings open. This has happened a few times on various GTV's in the past. I always thought it was the striker plate that got worn or needed adjusting when the door wont close but after stripping the lock down , I found it the return latch that stops the door from closing on the first of the two phases. A bit of grease or q20 sorted this out.
Attachments
Img_2147.jpg
Img_2147.jpg (36.26 KiB) Viewed 10164 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Got some real heavy volvo 4pot "budget ' brakes to use. Probably heavier than three brembo calipers. As Im only running 15' lightish rims Im sure its still lighter than most with their 17' rims.
Also cut the upper control arms to give me more room when fitting the coil over. Its not neccessary but I prefer more room and only took an hour. Probably another to weld flat bar back in to get its strenght back.
Will do welding in new year.
Feedback welcome. (yes I know the roll cage should have been done before spraying but the pipe benders are closed)
Off on holiday until new year.
Attachments
Img_2148.jpg
Img_2148.jpg (61.27 KiB) Viewed 10162 times
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Hey Kev,

When you race it, don't forget to put your white bowler's hat in the back window shelf to go with your Volvo calipers. :D

You look like you are having way too much fun there cause I can see the white outlines on your driveway on Google Earth !! :D :D

Ho ho !!
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Ho,Ho MD, check next week on google earth for two long black stripes on my road as the 24v 3.7 is nearing completion. Nearly finished the heads. Took the whole day to strip and clean the hydraulic lifters in the followers so you can colllapse them when checking your clearances with these mighty wild cams I bought from Baz.(they also use shims.) Will post pics of this but sorry no specs. This motor is not for this car. The Budget car will use stock standard 2.5 motor at this stage which I am only replacing the cambelts, oil and plugs.
The bodywork and painting came to R4500 which is not to bad. I was very lucky to have the loan from my friend(still had to pay)of these two pros for the cutting and replacing of cills and other panels. It was there end of year and all my friends concours cars are completed so these guys needed extra money to go back to Mocambique so they stayed on for extra 8 days. I can now see why big car collectors employ there own staff as it works out much cheeper to do restorations and they can keep an eye on the quality of work. If these guys were not available the car would stayed in that condition and I would have just touched up(patch) a few areas. Just remember R7 is equal to 1$ so technically doing pretty well. Still searching for cheap front discs.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Car is assembled including electrics. This is definately the wrong way to do a budget race car hence i think thats why budget is in inverted commas. All the stress and hard should go first into suspension , brakes, motor and lastly bodywork , which you can slowly do through the season once the car is running correctly and you are having fun.
Pics of assemled car, coil overs , modified upper arms and race seat brackets to follow.
Attachments
Img_2210.jpg
Img_2210.jpg (91.84 KiB) Viewed 9939 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Got some 50x3mm flat bar and welded it into the enlarged cut out of the upper control arm to facilitate the front coil overs I had(got from friend). I will be using RS on the rear and front anti roll bar.
Attachments
Img_2204.jpg
Img_2204.jpg (124.84 KiB) Viewed 9935 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

View from underside of control arm.
Attachments
Img_2206.jpg
Img_2206.jpg (109.93 KiB) Viewed 9935 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

This car will be running with tosion bars in. I had a bad experience a few eeks back in the 116 3.2 GTV when one of the hats of the shocks came loose and the car fell flat onto the wheel. This was not an RS shock. Anyway point being is that our roads here are way to harsh on the coil over set up only( you have seen the road to Baz in the "other'). This car will also be driven to the track and not trailored.
Attachments
Img_2208.jpg
Img_2208.jpg (96.3 KiB) Viewed 9931 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

The pics for the front lower arm assembly with Barrys' bearing set up were lost. Im sure Baz might havefew pics on his camera. However this system works well as there will be Zero play and it was far easier to assemble than original bushes.
I used the original bushes in the uppers arms as my polyurethane ones (bought locally kept working themselves out). If I was in Europe I would probably just get from Superflex. Unfortunately post takes forever. Still waiting for Dedion one from them(few weeks now).
Next part was to get the race seats fitted to the original rails . Barry stepped in here and made a simple frame which does the trick. The rail was split & only the single part was used to give clearance between your head and roof with helmut on. Our regs in this class does not stipulate fixed positions.
Attachments
Img_2211.jpg
Img_2211.jpg (173.63 KiB) Viewed 9923 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Pic of seat connected to rail. 3.7 24v in backround taking shape slowly.(not for this car).
Must get hold of Bruno(France) to see some pics of the cages they are using there. Just gonna use a simple not really effective six point cage to fall into our regs. Why I say not effective as it will barely fall into the categories that Ben and Md talk about. (budget car), but hopefully save my Big white bowling hat if it rolls.
Attachments
Img_2215.jpg
Img_2215.jpg (103.25 KiB) Viewed 9924 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Biggest problem in this project is there are no LS gearboxes in this country that are available. We never got the 75 here so there are no scrap yards to look. This will kill the budget to import one as shipping could be more than the box itself. Im gonna start investigating this one. If anyone has one out there let me know.
On the TT we used the LS from the 105 series but cant find these either at the moment.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Doing a great job there Kevin. I am also taking photos of my car as it is progressing but will post a "set" for the entire project once it is done.

A couple of questions if you don't mind.

The front suspension. What size T Bars are you using? Are they the original 23.5mm units? What is the size of the front springs. Is it correct that they are 150kg rated? What's the part number of the of the Bilstein damper and what are its bound and rebound settings?

Tip : Don't listen to everything Bazza says 'cause he'll lead you up the garden path to naked apes and wild women... :D :D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

MD, The springs are 120kg. the 150 is the lenght. I will show it more clearly on another pic. These shocks are not a standard and they were made as a returned favour from a friend.(have to design a road for him -short one).
The T bars are stock 23.5.
I would have used 115kg front but there were none in the box so will make do with these. My RS set up with 115kg and stock T bars front and 50kg rear (in the3.2 GTV)gives great handling on the track for my level of driving(amateur). This car is very neutral on the track now the T bars are back in and its not to low to use on the road. Does bounce around a bit on bumpy roads but you have to obviously accept that .
If we had 75's here I would more than likely use 3.0 12v motor in this "budget" track car and follow JK's specs because power to time and to money , you not gonna beat. Unfortunately we dont have them but we do have 164 24v motors around so you either have to do MAJOR work in this conversion or run with the stock with the stock 2.5 motor and go racing now which I am doing.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

As with most projects things chainge along the way. In this case I have put the full RS kit into this car to keep it only RS. The Bilsteins have gone into another GTV. No point in mix and matching. Got lucky with the brakes as the volvo calipers have been chainged with AP's from my Dads car. In exchange the 3.7 will go into to his car for a few months.
Attachments
IMG_2249.JPG
IMG_2249.JPG (102.84 KiB) Viewed 9658 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

A view from the side showing where I cut the side of the bump stop just to give it more clearance.
Attachments
IMG_2240.JPG
IMG_2240.JPG (109.19 KiB) Viewed 9657 times