Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Kevin,

Is that an exhaust pipe I see poking out the LH rear side of Julie?
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

He should have shortened the wheelbase before he closed off the rear doors, Giulietta Coupe.... 8)

Do you know how much it weighs?
Drive it like you stole it...
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Race number two coming up next weekend. My car should be running shortly. Problem was broken valve spring. Anyway Dawie de Villiers junior will be driving the monstrous tt bigbore 24v with front mount gearbox. The bodywork has been restored perfectly with the legendry double vented bonnet off the origional TT that campaigned in the early ninetees. Few pics to follow. pics of engine will come at race day.
Attachments
dawiettfront.jpg
dawiettfront.jpg (121.42 KiB) Viewed 6881 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Rear wing
Attachments
dawiettback.jpg
dawiettback.jpg (98.63 KiB) Viewed 6880 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Interior will be cleaned up this week. Box up front. The engine in this car sits quite a bit further back than normal.
Attachments
dawieinterior.jpg
dawieinterior.jpg (96.87 KiB) Viewed 6877 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Race number two went very well considering an hour before qualifying I could not get the oil filter to tighten up against the block properly causing oil to spray every where. Problem was in the shamfer on the oil stud protruding from the block was not allowing filter to tighten up. How it workrd on other filter baffles me. Bit of emergency filing and all worked. Handling(bigger torsion bars and RS kit) and brakes were perfect but this was not enough to see the twin turbo of Davie Devilliers gain on me at a rapid pace. Remember we run a handicap system which forces you drive as fast as possible at all times(if you want to win) and bunches the whole field right up for the last three laps. This Glenwood TT was at .4 bar boost and lapped nine seconds a lap faster. It was crazy to watch this car come past. The car normerly runs at 1bar but it was not neccessary in this 'friendly' Alfa only race. There was a video made which I will try and get clips of to down load.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

kevin wrote: Remember we run a handicap system which forces you drive as fast as possible at all times(if you want to win)
Wow, that's quite original as far as racing goes... :shock:

8)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

There is an American group called NASA that used to run something like that....the fast guys would start in the back in such a way that most of the cars finished the race at the same time. They may still run some races that way...I'm not sure as i haven't been around that program in years.

scott
konrads
Silver
Silver

Post by konrads »

Some pics of Swartkops racing and a video of my spin off nearly into the wall. I saw my life flash before or maybe that was Kevin's white 3 litre that passed while I was facing the wrong way.

Video :

http://www.youtube.com/v/ieucbfk0m3U

Pics

Kevin
http://www.zoc.co.za/photo/showimg.php? ... %20134.jpg

Konrad
http://www.zoc.co.za/photo/showimg.php? ... %20133.jpg

Dawie
http://www.zoc.co.za/photo/showimg.php? ... %20130.jpg
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

That was seriously close to the wall - stay on the gravel.
Should get a DVD cut of the race from another source to post on race videos.
JJ, I got this car handling so well that I am thinking I am only driving it to 70% of its potential, just not getting out of shape. Old saying when we used to race bikes was 'if you are not falling off you are not riding fast enough'. Also trying to adjust driving style with these very high lift cams. Got to keep it between 4500- 7000rpm to go anywhere and I am definately not used to that compared to the standard 2.5 motor that was in before. Got a lot to learn this season.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Put the car on a weight loss program by stripping out all sound deadening. Next will by using fiberglass doors,bumpers and bootlid. This will probably bring tha car back to standard weight with all the extra kgs i have added by using 305mm discs, 30mm antiroll, coilovers,24v motor, roll cage and fire extinguisher.
Trying to fing a few chaps here to share the costs of moulds.
Attachments
raceinterior.jpg
raceinterior.jpg (85.55 KiB) Viewed 6422 times
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Kevin,

..this is my reply to a post you go over in one of Michael's about your air intake..

Hey Kevin, what are you doing with Grandma's vacuum cleaner hose under you bonnet man ?? :D :D

Of course you know what the answer is gonna be to your question before we even start. Got the same issue with my intake. Yes they work until a smooth wall bore comes along and that needs to be yesterday. The corrugations create drag and turbulence that we don't need.

If it is the diameter of a sewer main pipe, it doesn't matter what it is because of the huge cross section area ie 500mm radius or more. 8)

So give Grandma back her vacuum cleaner and get a smooth bore one like I gotta do . While you're at it, why not minimise your bends and remove the inner spot light and stick the intake there facing the front? Unless you plan to do some rally work in your local creek beds, water issues are irrelevant. Many local racers here do the same. In your situation this could be done using a light wall metal tube of 100 mm ID or so with a couple of flexible joiners where required. The metal tubing will not collapse or need and wire corrugations inside to support it. ( all of which is bad news.)

Best of luck.

MD
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

MD, What "vacuum hose", thats a standard issue extra ribbed South African condom. Yeah I just needed confirmation but I will start work on a new one out of mild steel.
Cant go through the headlight as we still drive to the track like the four of us did today. Its the last time I drive 70km without earplugs since I removed all the sound deadening yestreday.
I took two cars(my dad drove one of them) to the track to compare. The 3.2 24v(205kw) with 17'' road tyres, big brakes, full RS and the 3.0 24v(190kw) race with all the above but 15'' semi slicks and 30mm lower.
Result, the semi slicks are nine seconds quicker over 2.4km track. It was like driving on ice trying to push it the same. I also believe the 17'' bridgestone road tyre have also got a bit hard over time as the lay at Barrys house for a while until he donated them to me.
Konrad brought his WRX and his standard GTV 3.0l carb as well. We found that the WRX and the carby GTvV were even down the 800m straight. Pretty surprising we thought. Sadly could not compare lap times as WRX was on road tyres and he did not want to wear them out totally but he was a few seconds quicker in his GTV. Great day was had and even my pops did a few quick laps, not bad for 72yrs. Few pics to follow.
Attachments
fourgtvangle.jpg
fourgtvangle.jpg (101.87 KiB) Viewed 6403 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Another pic
Attachments
fourgtvmidvaal2.jpg
fourgtvmidvaal2.jpg (97.58 KiB) Viewed 6396 times
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Don't listen to MD, he must be high on something...

A 4" hose is restrictive? I know about the not-so-smooth-surface thing but come on...
I bet the weight of a 4" mild steel pipe is far worse for car performance then the restriction created in that hose. 8)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!