Seb
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Seb »

No one whatched the film clips above? Hmmm... Do the links work? Does here...

Anyway, even if she´s up and running now there are some small thing to be done. Last night I build a heat screen for the air filter. I want ONLY cool air to the engine.

First pic is the templet for what I´m thinking. After some fitting and cutting its starting to take shape.( pic 2) And finally the finished produkt. Turned out ok I think. The rubber list is something I had laying around from the renovation of the car.

Seb
Attachments
MVC-009F.JPG
MVC-009F.JPG (62.57 KiB) Viewed 10634 times
MVC-005F.JPG
MVC-005F.JPG (60.88 KiB) Viewed 10634 times
MVC-001F.JPG
MVC-001F.JPG (63.41 KiB) Viewed 10634 times
Proud member of Team Rauk Race.

156 V6 24v -98
GTV6 3.0QV-83
75 3.0 Race Car "The raukster"
81GTV6
Gold
Gold

Post by 81GTV6 »

very nice!
Jacob Ricciotti

'81 GTV6 3.0
'81 GTV6 Track car
'91 164S daily driver
Seb
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Seb »

Hey Guys!

Just wanted to share some pics with You now that I got her up and running again...
Took her for a spinn this afternoon, runs excelent. Such raw power... :P

My daily driver, 156 V6 24v-98, in the background.

Seb
Attachments
Mvc-012f.jpg
Mvc-012f.jpg (53.85 KiB) Viewed 10551 times
Mvc-013f.jpg
Mvc-013f.jpg (54.09 KiB) Viewed 10552 times

156 V6 24v -98
GTV6 3.0QV-83
Hippo58
Silver
Silver

Post by Hippo58 »

Seb,

Nice work man! At last you enjoy the fruits of hard work! The cold air arrangement is very neat and tidy. That is exactly what I was planning to do in mine. Well done!

Ah... the video...Nice!!! Take some more when you decide to rev the thing a bit higher ;) I like the steering wheel :P and put some petrol in the car before the pump stucks with muck!!

Cheers!
Petros. Transaxleista!
Seb
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Seb »

Thanx a lot man. The fruits taste great too. :D

Seb

156 V6 24v -98
GTV6 3.0QV-83
sm
Silver
Silver

Post by sm »

Hi Seb,

This is my first posting in this wonderful website. I have recently acquired a GTV6 with a 24V conversion and I noticed that there are differences in the route taken by the previous owner particularly the intake plenum where he grafted it in the centre and as a result of that part of the cam cover had to be cut to accomodate the airmass sensor etc. He fitted a mushroom intake and a straight flow exhaust system with a Sebring rear box. I notice that there wasn't much low end and suspect that the intake could be taking in more air than the sensors can manage or could that be the trait of the 24V V6?

I am now considering rerouting the plenum "tune" back to the end like yours and some of the other conversions I seen in the internet and fit the standard 3.0 airbox back to see if torque improves.

Would love to share your experience to improve my machine. I forgot to mention that mine is a RHD.

Cheers.

SM
Attachments
1.JPG
1.JPG (53.88 KiB) Viewed 10367 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (71.85 KiB) Viewed 10367 times
4.JPG
4.JPG (68.52 KiB) Viewed 10368 times
Seb
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Seb »

Welcome to AlfaGTV6.com SM!

I`ve just resently finished my conversion and I havn´t had much time to test the car too much yet. I´ve driven it a few times and it runs strong. But I´m only comparing it with the original 2.5 engine. I still have original 2.5 exhaust manifolds, so I hope the power will increase even more with headers. Looking to buy some at the moment.
But I´m in no rush, winter is closing in and the car is in for the season.

If you have any questions, just shoot! I´ll try to answer as best I can.

Cheers Seb

156 V6 24v -98
GTV6 3.0QV-83
sm
Silver
Silver

Post by sm »

Seb,

Is there a difference between the your intake plenum and my intake plenum? Yours say "Alfa Romeo" whilst mine says "V6 24V". Could yours be a QV engine. If so, do you know if the bore is bigger or of a different size? I think I'm using 45mm runners.
Seb
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Seb »

The thing is:
Your´s is a 24v. Mine´s a 3.0QV 12v. (Se title of this thread.) :D

So there will be diffrences because of that.

My plenum is separated from the valve cover.
The bore is no different, but I have the 3.0QV 12v intake runners, wich I thin are 42mm.

Seb

156 V6 24v -98
GTV6 3.0QV-83
sm
Silver
Silver

Post by sm »

IC.. No wonder I noticed some difference with the cam covers etc. I am putting my car on the dyno tomorrow. Will post the results
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Wirelessjunkie (SM),

You finally made it here. Maybe the problem with low power in your car is due to the air intake. The mushroom I think does a poor job in filtering dust etc. Also, there could be a problem with getting cold air into the air intake. The GTV6 doesn't have space on the side like the 75 where the lower airbox mount is. I would cut a hole and put the air filter underneath there. Get a good air filter which won't suck in dust and mess up the cylinder liners.
sm
Silver
Silver

Post by sm »

Hi Zamani, how are you :) I made it thanks to the local GTV6 scene.

I found out why the car lacks power as the clutch was almost burnt out. Got the car back today with a new clutch and refitted the Alfa 75 single clutch after ditching the so called performance clutch by the previous owner. Vrrrrrrrrroom! The mojo's back.

There is just an endless stream of torque coming from the engine and I have become a rev maniac over a course of a few hours. Boy oh boy, I love this car. The car is just so tractable at low speeds in high gears when I was testing it for its low end. Ample torque.

Given my grossly inaccurate tacho, would anyone know what is the rev limiter set at for a 24v V6? For my comfort, is it possible to disable it in the ECU? Did not manage to dyno the car today as my regular shop was closed to prepare their race cars for tomorrow's A1GP support race. I also found the Dakota SGI-5 and SGI-8 which I am planning to put in an order to sort out the issues with the tach and speedo.

Seb, is your engine running hotter since it's a QV? I noticed that my is running around the 3/4 mark around 90 degrees C and I was told that this is normal for a 24V as it's optimal operating temperature is around 90 degrees. It could also be due to a sensor misreading.
Seb
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Seb »

sm!

No, mine is running at normal heat, around 80 on the meter. Allthough my fan is not working at the moment. Thank god its winter and around zero (celius). The car is in the garage for the season.

Good to hear you got yours sorted! Where do you live? Ol´Cal?

Seb

156 V6 24v -98
GTV6 3.0QV-83
sm
Silver
Silver

Post by sm »

Nope. I live on the equator in Malaysia. I forgot to mentioned that the car had a huge radiator + twin fans from the Alfa 156 installed to dissapate heat more effectively.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

SM,

Is the radiator from a 156 or just the fans? I need a big radiator for my 164 QV.