75evo
Verde
Verde

Re: V6 24V camshaft saga

Post by 75evo »

Must be cam timing and it probably needs a remap after the tune or maybe the extra lift and duration is causing you to run lean

.....unless it was a a really badly done cam, which I doubt.
scociu
Silver
Silver

Post by scociu »

The cam timing is all over the place, definitely. There's no chance of it being right after what Jim mentioned on regrind proper timing procedure.

Lean mixture doesn't seem to be the case. I checked AFR it stays towards the rich side throughout the range for both low and high engine loads.
However, at least on paper the injectors seem to be maxed out: http://users.erols.com/srweiss/tableifc.htm

I will settle with the power loss for the rest of the year and consider options for a more aggressive cam profile during winter.
156 GTA - Intrax 1K2 ARC - Q2 - AP Racing Radi-CAL PRO5000R 356mm - Whiteline ARBs - CF2 headers - ACT Carbon Plenum - Ferrari 360 TB - Sabelt GT-200
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Long shot here, but are your injectors matched? For na engines they should be within ±2% worst case and even better for performance engines Consider that for turbo they should be even better than ±0.5%! You are reading the overall afr, which says nothing of the individual cylinders...just a thought.

Jim K.
scociu
Silver
Silver

Post by scociu »

Most probably not. More than that, they are the original injectors fitted to the car 13-14 years ago. I am looking into options to fit new, bigger, ones. However, I couldn't find a local tuner confident that they can map them properly on the stock ECU. Standalone is always an option, but I can't justify spending 2-3k eur for an extra 10-20 HP.
156 GTA - Intrax 1K2 ARC - Q2 - AP Racing Radi-CAL PRO5000R 356mm - Whiteline ARBs - CF2 headers - ACT Carbon Plenum - Ferrari 360 TB - Sabelt GT-200
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

Autolusso UK has a plug and play setup for the GTA. Your GTA ecu is worth money, so you can sell it. Price will be around E2K.

Alternatively I bought my Autronic SM3 for USD1.5K. But you're on your own wiring it. I wouldn't recommend it as you may lose too many factory functionality.

Where are you located? If you're within 1-2 days drive of Squadra Tuning I would go do there. Other tuners may be experienced in tuning Alfa but Stephan not only tune Alfas, he modifies the ones he owns like his Alfa Dax and 916 GTV BiMotore.

I'm kind of in the same boat as you. My 156 3.0 has JK cams and I didn't even have it remapped due to lack of tuners. I must also check on the cam timing again as the installer probably used factory marks.

But so far the car runs ok! I will try to drive down to Singapore get it tuned by the same guy who tuned Sabertooh's GT.
Last edited by 75evo on Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

While you're at it, can you get some wheel-power figures before and after remap? I'm starting to collect data on 3.2 dyno runs from anyone who has and is willing to divulge. I would appreciate a list of what else is on the engine (free-flow filters, different airbox, headers etc.)

Jim K.
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Yeah I'd want to swap out those injectors they've done a lot of work.I swapped mine out about 10 years ago.Bought mine from Greg Gordon's Performance store (don't know if they're still up ?) It was convenient at the time and they've been great, but if I hadn't had that option I could have tracked down a cross.Bosch L-Jets were used by so many cars there's got to be an equal injector out there.
By the way avoid "rebuilt" injectors, they clean them out and call them rebuilt.No replacement of the actual workings.When you consider what these little buggers do over the course of their lives - open/close under pressure - they deserve a break !
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

My curiosity got the better of me, both Vic Auto and Centerline "USA" offer new injectors for the GTV6 best check the lbs/hr. to match to your displacement etc.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER