BotswanaAlfa
Gold
Gold

A Quick dyno run

Post by BotswanaAlfa »

Hi guys
So ive just gone for a dyno run, 2 runs. Both almost identical.
Im attaching an image for you guys.
My question is that shes making 145 Nm
But only 75 kW
Its at the wheels. is that supposed to be that low? i remember reading that they made 158Hp new, was that at the flywheel or at the wheels?
Also If torque is as new wouldnt horsepower be as new then too? Arent they correlated?
Many thanks guys!
This decides what kind of rebuild (if any) that ill do!
:lol: :lol:
Im quite happy with the torque curve aswell as the kW curve, but the final figure seems too low to believe. :(

You can view the Dyno run on this link below.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6-I6 ... S05VjdtalE
'83 GTV6 stock with Wildcat exhaust system
Murray
Verde
Verde

Re: A Quick dyno run

Post by Murray »

BotswanaAlfa

Either there's something really wrong with the dyno/report or your engine is quite ill.It is a 2.5L I'm assuming ? I've attached some results from my 2.5 prior to rebuild.At that time all it had was S cams and some mild ignition & Ecu tweeks.Translated values were:

130 whp = 97 kw.
152 ft.lbs.=206 nm.

Published values from Alfa were at the crank.My Dyno guy figured about 20% loss across the drivetrain.I doubt your engine is that sick if it's running reasonably well.
Attachments
DYNOTORQUELRjpg.jpg
DYNOTORQUELRjpg.jpg (18.38 KiB) Viewed 5527 times
DYNOHPLR.jpg
DYNOHPLR.jpg (18.12 KiB) Viewed 5527 times
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
BotswanaAlfa
Gold
Gold

Post by BotswanaAlfa »

Hi murray!
Thanks for your reply!
i must admit i was pretty shocked, the engine runs fine or so i thought and seems to pull hard and smoothly up the rev range, i can upload a video cia youtube of the dyno run itself if it helps?
Ive had the injectors overhauled and the plugs are all a perfect greyish colour.
She does smoke, but the engine otherwise seems pretty sweet, no rough idle etc.
Were you able to view the dyno results because they looked pretty decent. Perhaps its miscalibrated then?
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

By not having corrections for air temperature, humidity and elevation/atmospheric pressure set correctly or the dyno iteslf is out of clibration, it's easy for dyno numbers to off.
So long as your dyno workshop is consistant in their set up, it's not an issue for before and after work.

It's when dyno shops say they've tuned your car and all they done is set the valve clearances, changed the plugs, filters and oil and now the dyno sheet shows some amazing (more than 2%) gain, then you need to start looking elsewhere.
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Altitude is big factor there but I think you're still 2500ft lower than JHB . You should see about 95kw on wheels .
BotswanaAlfa
Gold
Gold

Post by BotswanaAlfa »

Well, he said its possible but hes done runs with vehicles from a south african dyno shop,to insure that its accurate.
The thing is my graph looks different to murrays as the kw value climbs from 28kW at 3000 Rpm to 75 kw at 5500 Rpm.
The torque also climbs steadily from 120 Nm to 145 Nm at 3000 and 5500 respectively.