Newbieguy
Silver
Silver

2.5 or 3.0 liter mated to a spider drivetrain

Post by Newbieguy »

Based on the dimensions I recieved on my last post it looks like the 2.5 or 3.0 will fit with some modifications. As stated before I will be using an alfa spider as a donor car for my project and will be mating the V6 to the spider transmission (hopefully :) ). From what I have read on the forums it has been done several times before. I understand that I will need to make an adaptor plate for the bell housing.
The engines I am looking at is the 2.5L V6 from the Alfa Romeo Milano/GTV6 or the 3.0L 12 valve V6 from the 164. The main issues I need to work out for the V6’s to work are as follows:

1. Mating it to a manual transmission (i.e. Spyder transmission preferably, but not required).
2. Reducing the engine height by 3”~4” in the sump region. (Milano/GTV6)
3. Converting from transverse to longitudinal in regards to the 164 engine (if used).

To keep from spending tons of money at a junkyard using the “trial & error” method, I am wondering if anyone would share their knowledge & point me in the right direction. I am not necessarily looking for a detailed “How-To”. A parts list would be extremely helpful. For instance will I have to use a 3.0 flywheel on the 2.5? As I understand it the clutch in the Milano/GTV6 is in the transaxle not at the flywheel. Any gotchas there or is it an easy swap? How about the clutch and pressure plate? Use a 3.0 pressure plate and a spider clutch disk?

I have scoured the internet & found a little information, but nothing conclusive.

As far as reducing the height of the engine, I need to cut 3”~4” from the oil pan and would like to stay with a wet sump. I am not opposed to making a custom oil pan that is shallower & wider than the original; keeping the same capacity, but reducing the height. Similar to the Fiat Dino 2.4L V6. However, this is just a theory and I am not sure if this is even practical. As far as baffling … I have no idea. Any insight into this would be appreciated.

Any pointers or help again would be greatly appreciated!

Tony
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Re: 2.5 or 3.0 liter mated to a spider drivetrain

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

I think the easiest thing to do is to get a 3.0 from a 164. this way you'll have the lower (and better) intakesystem, the correct flywheel, a better Motronic injectionsystem and a more potent engine. You would have to make your own sump and oil pick-up however...

search for the BMW E30 with Alfa v6 on the AlfaBB, lots of good ideas there.

Good luck with the project!
Drive it like you stole it...
bialbero-racing
Silver
Silver

Post by bialbero-racing »

English magazine PPC (practical performance classic) ran an story on an Alfa Giulia 105 running the 164 3.0 V6 in their June 09 issue.
the owner used the original giulia gearbox by cutting and welding the 164 an giulia bell housings together.
have you also seen the V6 spider conversion in the states http://www.g-site.com/spiderv6/ more usefull information. I also found some very usefull information on converting the 164 engine for use in a GTV6. If I find it I will post the address

Lionel
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

try reading this fella's post on his spider conversion

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/engine- ... 91-s4.html

I think its right up your alley.
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR