Enrique
Silver
Silver

oil change

Post by Enrique »

What is the oil capacity when changing the oil and filter?
What is the best way to remove the filter?
Thanks in advance.
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

Enrique in my experience it takes about 5 and a half to 6 litres to get the dipstick level back to full.Remember you will always have residual oil left in the motor.A GTV6's sump capacity is 6.5 litres.

If you have the aircon unit your going to swear a bit... :lol: Try buying yourself one of those oil filter clamps,but preferably the one with a chain.I tried the leather strap version and chucked it in the bin after numerous attempts. :evil:

Remember I am presuming this is your first attempt and the previous owner decided to torque the oil filter on so that even old Arnie couldn't loosen the darn thing like happened on my girlfriends GTV6. :evil:

Take off the airfilter unit to give yourself some room to work.If the strap works then great,if not....

Then you get underneath the car with a smallish screwdriver and a hammer.Then hammer the screwdriver into the oil filter so you can get leaverage to break the grip.You may have to do this twice depending how tight it is.Once the grip is broken you can get back up and loosen it with one hand as getting both hands down there with the aircon is impossible for me. :lol:

When you refit the new filter tighten it by hand , feel it bite, then just turn it a little more.Same with the sump plug.

Don't do like my brothers one friend and tighten it till it strips right off again... :roll:

Hope this helps you out.
"Racing is life,everything before and after is just waiting."- Steve Mqueen
Enrique
Silver
Silver

Thanks!

Post by Enrique »

Your tip about removing the airbox was the tip that I needed to know.

You guessed right - this was my first oil change on this car and I have AC.

Once I removed the airbox, the procedure was easy.

Thanks again.