benski105
Gold
Gold

injectors/inlet manifolds and ram pipes

Post by benski105 »

shortly i will be building a 3.0 engine for my gtv6 race car project.
i am looking at injectors to run with MS and am wondering what the best options are for the inlet manifold/ rampipe and injector combo.
i was planning on using the 164 inlet manifold and fabricating my own larger ram pipes. does this then require me to use the 164 injectors and fuel rail? or can i use the original gtv 6 one?
if i were to stay with the gtv inlet/rampipes and injectors what options do i have when it comes to enlarging the rampipes?
i guess also that the availability of injectors should be considered here too. what is easiest to get push on (gtv?) or clip on (164?).
i have been looking at greg gordans range of injectors, so just figuring out which is the best way to go?

any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

ben
1962 Giulia Ti Race-car
1969 Giulia Super
1987 GTV6- new race project.
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

If I were you, I would go with the 164 intake setup with 164 fuel rail and injectors. Those injectors are common and cheap compared to the ones for the GTV6. I think that the 164 runners are larger than the stock gtv6 and 75 3.0 runners, although I could be wrong. you can also get large diameter runners that were stock on the 164Q. If you are good enough to fab your own runners, the 164 is definitely the way to go.
If you want to stick with the stock type injectors, you can buy them from Greg. He has several options as far as I know. There is also a guy who sells extremely large cast runners and a matching modifed plenum with stock injector compatibility. These runners are very expensive, but most really trick parts cost money...
If you want to do it on the cheap, go 164. If you want to spend more to get something that looks stock, stay with stock type injectors.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Hey I have stage 2 injectors for sale, maybe not now, but in a few weeks or so. These, according to Greg flows about 20% more than stock. PM me for details.

OK right now what I plan to do with the 12V is to put in 164 12V injector plates, use 24V injectors while the 24V goes under the knife. The injector plates will be worked on to accommodate the bigger runners. I already have GTA runners and am not sure if I will use them, sell them or hang them on a wall (modern Art). If I use the GTA runners, I will just use a 164 12V plenum and with modified ports on the runner side to match the size of the GTA runners.

Alternatively I will just ask Barry to make me the runners which will mate up to a modified GTV6 plenum with nice bellmouths inside.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Clip on is better as they never leak. Only need slight modification. I will try find some pics.
benski105
Gold
Gold

Post by benski105 »

thanks guys! so far it sounds like the clip on 164 type is winning the race!!

i have asked greg for a price on some higher rate 164 injectors!
i definately like the 164 manifold better- much easier to make bigger runners.

will decide shortly!

ben
1962 Giulia Ti Race-car
1969 Giulia Super
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Higher rate o-ring (164 type) injectors from Greg are a good option. Greg will help you figure out exactly what you need. That is worth a lot.

One thing though, before you go and spend the money: One of the biggest advantages of going to the 164 type O ring injectors is that you can use the same injectors as all kinds of regular cars. That means you can pick up cheap used ones from V8 guys. V8 guys often dump perfectly good injectors with high flow rates because they are upgrading their 400 hp engine to 600 hp or whatever.
benski105
Gold
Gold

Post by benski105 »

thanks for that info!
any idea what model cars are good ones to look out for? ie what ones are clip on? or are they all?
im waiting on a price from greg, but will do some more research in the meantime.

cheers

ben
1962 Giulia Ti Race-car
1969 Giulia Super
Jarle
Gold
Gold

Post by Jarle »

Agree with the others , o-ring type is te way to go. I will use Ford injectors on my setup.
Attachments
Prototype_racer.jpg
Prototype_racer.jpg (185.19 KiB) Viewed 8524 times
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Beautiful Jarle. I too hate the barbed style injectors. For the 24V I plan to just use the stock o-ring style 164 injectors, custom runners and stock, but modified GTV6 plenum. What is the plan for your car's plenum? Single plenum with single throttle or 6?
Dr. Alban
Jarle
Gold
Gold

Post by Jarle »

Thanks Zamani, will use ITB`s from Suzuki GSX-R750 00`. 42mm bodies.
Working on a filtering top solution right now.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Whatever you do, don't do like these idiots :

http://www.audiforums.com/m_693578/tm.htm

If you are an Alfa newbie with a question like this, please leave you full name and address so we can come around and blow your nuts off to help you stop reproducing.. :shock:
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Trolls...
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

that has to be a wind up, no one can be that dense.
Rookie ROX
Gold
Gold

Post by Rookie ROX »

It was.

If you continue reading they admit they were just being idiots, still amusing anyway.

ROCK ON
R~R
killaz
Platinum
Platinum

Re: injectors/inlet manifolds and ram pipes

Post by killaz »

What do you think about giving some extra length to plenum pipes and keeping intake runners stock?
Will this improve some hp/torque rate or not? Idea came since there is a lot of room for moving plenum backwards on rwd car...

brg
Attachments
A bit of photoshop tuning, to make things easier.. :)
A bit of photoshop tuning, to make things easier.. :)
Intake 24v.jpg (76.18 KiB) Viewed 7696 times