sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

oil air seperater?

Post by sh0rtlife »

wondering what you guys do for a replacement....im fairly sure mine is toast getting tons of oil into the intake and air hoses...as well as a strange issue where the car idles realy slow and ruff but if i pinch off the tube going to the oil/air it goes back to normal till i unpinch it

i could care less about factory original just something that works as needed
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

The std seperator does a stirling job ...yes,we all end up with quite a bit of oil all over the intake and in the plenum..I have found though,that if the engine is in very good condition you dont have the oiling issues...

So the fix here would be to fit a 155v6 or 164 ,maybe even a 156 seperator in line with the std one.These have more volume and a nice drain back to the head for oil return..you just need somewhere for the oil to return into..

if the above is not on,go the full hogg and buy or make a new catch tank as used in racing cars...
Giulietta24vTT
Gold
Gold

Post by Giulietta24vTT »

Barry , on my 3.2 NA car I've put a Greddy -like catch tank, how does it supposed to be connected?
(the catch -can has 2 tubes on top only).
The plugs cover tube's pipe? , the block's exit tube's pipe? and the nipple on the intake area?
should I put a breather and where?
Chen S
ex Giulietta 24V Glenwood TT.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Chen,a picture please?
TS_turbo
Gold
Gold

Post by TS_turbo »

Giulietta24vTT wrote:....the catch -can has 2 tubes on top only...
i have the same ..but mine catch is home made ...one tube for
oil vapour(head cover) other conected to breather filter or intake past air cleaner ...here is example of DIY catch can.. very simple and very efective ...the wire things are stainles steel but dontknow engl name .. for washing very durty dishes :lol:
Attachments
CAN1.jpg
CAN1.jpg (44.12 KiB) Viewed 8460 times
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

pic looks like a big 'crack pipe....

Shortlife....besides the oil sep hose pinch and a vacuum leak at the separater....check that the little rubber seal is intact on the oil dip stick and the oil fill cap gasket as well. Emisssions crank case vacuum fume reburning stuff.....

Or just put a filter breather ( Summit racing) in place of the separater and block the inlet on the big intake hose...not legal in most US states....no more idle problems
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

hey x-rad where does the small line on the oil/air filter goto? this is an 83 so it doesnt have the silly immisions canister...being its an 83 what other crank case vents should i be looking for?..i dont visualy see any but im 90% positive the engine itself came from an 85/86 milano

not to conserned about emission control issues due to the fact it doesnt have cat's under it anyway just some nice smooth "test pipes" ...even if i did have to run it thru emissions it would likely pass without the cats and any of the other "controls" since the tests here are realy simple and they dont useualy look for that stuff
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Need to see a pic of this 'small tube'. I have only ever seen the attachment to the valve cover and the line to the intake. Maybe some weird emissions crap built for a short run not in the manuals????

Some pics of Milano setups...

Any other leaks besides the intake system and you would have leaking oil or antifreeze....
Attachments
img053.jpg
img053.jpg (63.18 KiB) Viewed 8389 times
img054.jpg
img054.jpg (65.84 KiB) Viewed 8389 times
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

well what i do know on this engine is that from the valve covers up its all stock gtv-6 and from there down its all milano since i finished part of the swap for the previous owner..besides the 84+ TB wont realy work on an 83 :p

ill grab a pic if i can(its hard to see) in the morning but this small unknown line runs off a small nipple on the front side of the air/oil down tward the dist and is what looks like factory tied to the a/c lines and runs with them back to the firewall then dissapears just down and to the passenger side of the water hose lines neer the exhaust
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

ok i snaped of some pic's
Attachments
this is the line offf the seperator
this is the line offf the seperator
1Picture 405.jpg (88.09 KiB) Viewed 8353 times
yeah its down there..bottom left corner
yeah its down there..bottom left corner
1Picture 408.jpg (74.51 KiB) Viewed 8353 times
here is as close as i can get to it where it vanishes
here is as close as i can get to it where it vanishes
1Picture 406.jpg (62.7 KiB) Viewed 8352 times
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

The pre 1984 U.S. spec V6 cars have two lines out of the air oil separator. One goes to the intake tube and a little one connects to a hard line at the firewall very near where the fuel lines come through.
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

where does it go from there...the fuel tank i asume?
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

My theory....emissions 'crap!' Maybe it runs the other way toward the oil separator and is some sort of fuel vapor eliminator.....my car is an 85 so you need to get your hands on an older manual......