MD
Verde
Verde

Cold Air Intake

Post by MD »

Part One

I guess this is a relative thing depending on where you live but irrespective of where you do live, sooner or later, it's going to get tropical under that bonnet if you get on the loud pedal long enough. The hotter it gets under the engine bay, the thinner the air and the less the charge of oxygen into your combustion chamber if your air intake lives under the bonnet and attached to one of those "nice" cone filters or whatever. Here endeth lesson for newbies.

What follows is a photo collage of a very discrete installation of a 164 air filter box into the front RHS guard cavity of my GTV6.

The intial air intake is next to the inner head light. A scoop behind the grille conducts the air into a closed and sealed cavity of the guard. From here the air travels into a modified filter box, through the filter and enters the engine bay via 90 degree mandril bend pipe. The outflow from the pipe goes via the AFM and into the inlet manifold to make ZOOM. !!

Leaves lots of room in engine bay and has a slight ramming effect at speed. Food for thought for your next project. ( the sequence may be a little out of whack but I am sure you'll get the idea)

Part two to follow:
Attachments
Cold air Scoop next to light.jpg
Cold air Scoop next to light.jpg (163.18 KiB) Viewed 10437 times
High Low headlight removed.jpg
High Low headlight removed.jpg (163.39 KiB) Viewed 10437 times
Cold Air supply to engine.jpg
Cold Air supply to engine.jpg (212.28 KiB) Viewed 10437 times
Cold air inlet from filter.jpg
Cold air inlet from filter.jpg (184.6 KiB) Viewed 10437 times
Standard 164 filter cartridge fitted.jpg
Standard 164 filter cartridge fitted.jpg (161.4 KiB) Viewed 10437 times
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
MD
Verde
Verde

Cold air intake

Post by MD »

Part two:
(something tells me I should have swapped part one for part two, but you get the idea I hope)
Attachments
Air filter base installation.jpg
Air filter base installation.jpg (163.63 KiB) Viewed 10430 times
Filter and cover installed to base.jpg
Filter and cover installed to base.jpg (173.26 KiB) Viewed 10430 times
Splashguard and pressure seal refitted.jpg
Splashguard and pressure seal refitted.jpg (174.87 KiB) Viewed 10430 times
It all starts here.jpg
It all starts here.jpg (169.45 KiB) Viewed 10430 times
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Mike,Mike,Mike....You have waaaay to much time on your hands, :D
Very nice mate...I like what I see...A bitch to change the filter ,huh?

I did some interesting r+d..actually my hand hung from the open window and I felt the heat.... :wink: :wink:

Driving along our freeways at about 130km/h,there was this hot air which got hotter the lower I dropped my arm out the window.... temp at about 18" above the road surface 10 deg c higher than window height....Higher up,much cooler..This is obviously on a nice hot summers day here..
We changed out thinking as to where to put a cold air duct on the race cars after that(I was still involved in the gta thing then).

Food for thought..
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Yeah, and where you put the intercooler... :D
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Barry,

I bet your car looks really dumb with the 1 meter high "periscope" on the roof :lol:
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Ah, no flies on you Barry. Yes the filter is a bit of pain to change but you can slot it into other jobs like tyre rotation time so it is not that bad.

As Micke says, apart from having a snorkel at roof hight, for practical puproses, it's about as cool an air supply as it is going to get.

Interestingly enough, I seem to recollect reading somewhere that a good source of air was at the base of the windscreen in terms of pressure but would still have some heat contaminant having passed over the bonnet.

Mats, now you know that without an intercooler, the car would weigh less !! :)

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention that I had the modified air cleaner package tested on the flow bench with the original 164 filter media and it flows up to 520 hp. Like wow man, if only i had the donk to match it.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Micke,Mmmm,not quite... :D :D Seriously though,have a look where Alfa put the intake on the gtv`s,spiders and 156`s.....it hot down there....
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Of course it makes sense thinking where to put all air inlets as well as outlets.
As Barry said, the closer you go to the asphalt the bigger the temp influence of it is.

I think the upper part of the grille (actually exactly whre MD put it) is the best compromise over all.

Not only the temp but it is the highest pressure part of the car as well. At high speeds it makes a small difference.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Micke wrote:Of course it makes sense thinking where to put all air inlets as well as outlets.
As Barry said, the closer you go to the asphalt the bigger the temp influence of it is.

I think the upper part of the grille (actually exactly whre MD put it) is the best compromise over all.

Not only the temp but it is the highest pressure part of the car as well. At high speeds it makes a small difference.
Unless you have a splitter, then you will have a whole new ballgame. :D

At high speeds you don't have hotter air closer to the asphalt? :?
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Unless you have a splitter, then you will have a whole new ballgame. Very Happy

At high speeds you don't have hotter air closer to the asphalt? Confused
The splitter moves the warm air higher or lower :?

At high speed the pressure effect increases!
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

MD,

Do you ever have any problems running without cam belt covers??
Dirt, etc...
Great access, though...
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

X-rad

No problems so far. While one should never say never but to get a stone up into the belt area it would have to bounce a really hard 90 degrees straight up off the deck while you are in motion.

I grant you if you regularly drive the car over dirt roads or you use the car for rally purposes, the covers are the go. For me that does not apply as I never get it off the bitumen (JK is going to say I don't drive it hard enough :) )

I prefer it this way as I can keep an eye on the condition of the belts when I check oil and water etc to be sure there is not signs of stress or other deterioration.

Horses for courses.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

I agree, much better to check the belt for wear and for tension
yetyGTA
Silver
Silver

Re: Cold Air Intake

Post by yetyGTA »

Nice setup MD. I'm currently deciding what to do with mine. The car is fitted with a horrible clamp on conical filter

I bought a very light ITG box several years. Hoped finally have a car it will fit in. While diameter is just right. Unfortuntely there doesn't seem to be enough space. Moreover OEM box seems to suck the air straight from the front. While this setup gets hot air from engine bay. Any ideas what you've seen / tried welcome.

MD
Verde
Verde

Re: Cold Air Intake

Post by MD »

Have a close look at the 75 air cleaner. It may fit and all it would need is a more closer coupling of the inlet to the area in front of the radiator.
Attachments
75 Air cleaner option?
75 Air cleaner option?
Alfa 75 Air Cleaner.jpg (109.97 KiB) Viewed 6114 times