DaveH
Gold
Gold

Post by DaveH »

Greg Gordon wrote:Mats: Let me get this straight. A guy in OZ uses a blow through carb setup with an ancient supercharger and I have to take a lot of crap for using L-Jet?
It's not crap Greg; just encouragement. :P

Whisper: Gotech. Gotech. You want to..
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

Andrew,
A friend in DK sent me this pic of the engine compartment of the Alfetta GTV with the Rotrex supercharged TS engine.
Jes
Attachments
gtvtssc_post.jpg
gtvtssc_post.jpg (177.22 KiB) Viewed 8568 times
87 Milano Verde - daily driver - Juliet
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car - Roxanne
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car
(Repeat or do as I say at your own risk - be critical)
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Greg Gordon wrote:Mats:

My practical experience is with the Roots type. I have not used the Lysholm. On the 2.5 the Roots type has not caused any significant reduction in fuel economy. The 3.0 with stock injectors responds the same way, although with big injectors fuel economy sufferes a little. However this is a result of Big injectors and nearly stock L-Jet, not the supercharger.

The Lysholm fuel economy issue is based on other people's practiacal experience, not mine. I can only do one major project at a time.

Let me get this straight. A guy in OZ uses a blow through carb setup with an ancient supercharger and I have to take a lot of crap for using L-Jet?
Greg:
I was talking about "common knowledge", not your personal experience. Just trying to understand stuff. :)

That OZ stuff wasn't directed to me I take it.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

The OZ comment was supposed to be funny. I am impressed the guy got that working with carbs. A blow through carb set up is tricky, it's one of the factors that put Studebaker out of buisness.

Dave, I know, I know, I am building a killer 2.5 right now for my 85' GTV6 and after I demostrate it's huge power numbers with L-Jet I will probably go to something else.
matt
Platinum
Platinum

Post by matt »

Geez sometimes i think this site is taken a little too seriously :o i posted that pic because i thought how the SC was mounted might be of interest, not the fact its a second hand toyota blower thru carbs :D ................
Andrew.b
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Andrew.b »

Have a look at these!!

I think it would not be too hard to make a bracket that uses the 75 power steering mounts - similar to the early nord aircon mounts in the picture.

Both using m45?? I think they only reach low boost - I'd be looking for 12-14psi @ 6500rpm with a twinspark motor!!!

Has got to make over 250 hp - what do you think?
Attachments
attachment.jpg
attachment.jpg (50.47 KiB) Viewed 8476 times
attachment-1.jpg
attachment-1.jpg (66.43 KiB) Viewed 8475 times
Andrew b
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Why are you ignoring me Andrew, don't you like beer? ;)
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Andrew.b
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Andrew.b »

Mats wrote:Why are you ignoring me Andrew, don't you like beer? ;)
Whoops, Sorry mats!!! Missed your post as I was scanning to quick.

Yeah - Give me a call when you know the dates and we can sink a few!!

I'll PM you my mobile no.

Cheers
Andrew b
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Jess,I mailed Rotrex and a few agents of thiers in the uk and Ireland..No anwrs at all-they still in bussn.??The main site is up with tech data available....
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

Barry,
Yup, they are still in business. Probably better to call them - you are even in the same time zone (as the DK office), I think :-) PM me if I should try get you a contact there.
Jes
87 Milano Verde - daily driver - Juliet
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car - Roxanne
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car
(Repeat or do as I say at your own risk - be critical)
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Why do you want a radial supercharger?
Output is the square of the rotaton speed and it will be tricky to match that sucker...

Like a 02 Turbo. :D
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

The Centrifugal unit has two big advantages. Higher Peak horsepower which gets you bragging rights, and it's A LOT easier to bolt to the engine and connect to the air intake system.
Andrew.b
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Andrew.b »

Hi Greg

The big drawback from the centri blowers, is not only minimal gain at low to medium revs, but also one of cost.

Vortech, and Rotrex are mega expensive compared to Eaton.

Cheaper to Turbo the engine than go Centriblower.

And thats exactly what I want to avoid - heat problems, big intercooler, lag, new exhaust system, new synthetic oil, heat shielding the bonnet and brake M/C and other rubber pipes.....and the list goes on.

I have a twin turbo car for that........ but it's too wild for the street.

So M62 Eaton is the one for me on the Twinspark engine - with a small cylindrical chargecooler (water-air) if needed (12 psi)

I'd love to see more pics of the Rotrex on the 75.....
Andrew b
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I didn't think the Centrifugal blowers were that expensive. A brand new Eaton/Magnuson MP62 is $1200 with the built in bypass valve. Of course the expense in in fabricating all the stuff so you actually bolt it up and use it. I was looking at a Vortech in the dyno shop where we ran our 3.0 a week ago, and I thought wow this would be easy to hook up. It has plenty of mounting positions and you can put a silicone coupler right onto its intake and discharge sections. I assume the Rotrex is the same way althoug I have not seen one.

Obviously I think The Eaton (more correctly the Magnuson MP62 which is the Eaton M62 made for aftermarket applications) is the best one to go with overall for a mild to hot street application.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Just got a charger of a Toyota mr2....(brand new and free..)Now I have a project to complete.........I dont even have a car to put this into....
Andrew,bugger.......................
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.