Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

GTV6 crank in 156 v6 24v engine?

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

Hello,

Is there anyone here who knows of a way to use a GTV6 crank in a 156 2.5 24v engine? I can get such an engine with crankshaft damage for little money and since i have half a GTV6 engine laying around i was wondering if i could make a nice engine out of those parts...

It needs to go into a transaxle by the way...

The problem i know off is the chain driven oil pump... To get around this is it possible to use the 24v liners, pistons, conrods and heads on the GTV6 engine?

greetings Remco.
Drive it like you stole it...
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

the 24v heads wont work with the 12v block, I think the oil galleries dont line up.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Use the GTV6 crank and 156 block but convert the oil pump setup then. Use the belt setup not the internal chain setup. I think that would work.
Dr. Alban
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Remco,put the 2 cranks side by side..Note the snout differences..Get your crank grinder guy to grind the GTV6 crank the same as the 156/166 snout.Everything will work ok from there on..
Alternatively follow Zman`s suggestion..That will also work well.You will need 164 based 24v heads though.

The 24v heads WILL work on the 12v block..slight mods needed but it can be done.
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

So if i just take the cranks to the machineshop they can machine a bit off the gtv crank and then it would work in the 156 engine? Will the GTV6 sump fit under the 156 engine with the chaindriven pump?

Zamani's option sounds better to me but i don't really understand how that should be done... Is it just a matter of changing the oil pump from the 156 for the one from the GTV6?

The problem is that i don't have any idea what this 156 engine looks like from the inside. The 12v is a clear story to me, have two of those laying around. But i can't visualize how they made the oilpump work with a chain... If anybody has any pics off the oilpumpsetup from a 156 engine that would be greatly appreciated! then i can see the differences. :wink:

Looking for the easiest way to put life back into this engine and use it in a transaxle...

greetings Remco
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

The gtv sump will not fit over the chain driven pump. Check out the pics of the custom sump I had to have made in other thread 166 into 116. The chain gear sticks out along way.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

My opinion would not to put a 2.5 24v motor in the the car. Its way to much work for effort versus performance. Better find a 164 24 v motor or even easier modify a 3.0 12v motor from a 75.(thats your least work for good performance going normally aspirated.) Or dollar is pretty low at the moment and shove on Gregs supercharge kit. I would stay away from 2.5 24v motor.
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

the 2.5 24v i can get for 300 euros... machining is likely to cost nothing since on of my friends can do that... so it would be rather cheap for me to use this engine instead of buying some other engine.

I have a 3.0 24v 164 engine almost converted for use in a Giulietta and i also have 2 3.0 12v engines but those are not nearly as good as the 24v 2.5 i can buy.

I was planning on fixing the engine, machining a dish in the pistons and placing one turbo on it. At squadratuning they could write me a custom chip and i would have a nice engine to go into my 33.

If it's impossible to do or very much work involved i will put in a 2.8 12v with low comp.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Its not that difficult especialy for what you are doing. I can post more pics of step by step procedure but you should be able to get most of them from 166 into 116. Your hardest part is making the sump. If that looks easy and you can get one alu welded then go for it. You will just cut off the bottom of the 156 sump and build your new one around it.
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

checked the pics on the 166 into 116 thread! the oilpump can barely been seen however.. but from what i can tell it's a big chunk of alu hanging to far back to clear the gtv6 sump...

I think i have two options now,
- machine GTV6 crank to fit and make a new sump.
- replace oilpump with beltdriven system and use the gtv6 sump.

the second option sounds easier to me, but i will have to wait and see/hear how this pumpswitching thing works out... :?

At least i can now email the guy that i want to buy th engine. :)