KingDom
Silver
Silver

7 mm grub screws

Post by KingDom »

I have removed the aluminium plugs from my 2.0 litre crankshaft and put a tap through to make a 7mm thread. (I broke 3 taps doing this process!).
I now require 7 mm grub screws.
Does anyone know where I can get these? Preferably in Australia.
I could use bolts sawed off after tightend in position but prefer socket headed grub screws for ease of removal.

Thanks,
Dom
tectoteam
Gold
Gold

Post by tectoteam »

i guess now its too late.

but imo for that kind of work i would prefer tapered plug screws like the one in photo below.
common in bsp threads. with a bit of locking fluid.

also in australia..im far from, but i know that one of your local screw maker did some very stranges things, so why not your short m7 grub screws. brand is Umbrako.

2 stroke addict
KingDom
Silver
Silver

7mm grub screws

Post by KingDom »

Since I have already cut 7 x 1 mm threads in the plug holes of the crank I do not really want to drill and tap them to a larger size.
Since not being able to find 7 mm grub screws anywhere on the planet my next resort is to try 1/16 NPT tapered plugs which are easily found.
The 1/16 NPT tapered plugs are just over 7mm in diameter and the thread is 27 per inch. Thats very near a 7mm grub screw.
Saturday I will try to run a 7mm die nut over these NPT plugs to convert them into 7mm grub screws. I hope this works.
If I knew this before I started I would have tapped the holes in the crank with a 1/16 NPT tap. Perfect.
A learning curve!
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »