Anything that does not fit into other topics.
MD
Verde
Verde

Free Global Talk ,Text, Image Service

Post by MD »

HEY GUYS,GET THIS FOR FREE !!!!

How many times have you read a thread and wanted to talk to the person on the other side of the world to get clarification? How many times did you wish you could get an instant text message, photo or diagram about the problem you are trying to solve?

On a site like this one, people are searching and discussing problems all the time. How much easier would it be if you could talk to the same person you're a posting or emailing to instantly for FREE?

There are some guys in Scandinavia who have invented this system called SKYPE that will allow you to use your Broadband connection to do just that for free. I have been using it for some 6 months or so and it works great. No spamming ,tracking or other bullshit just a great service. The way it works is that it uses some of your Broadband allocation to deliver the information between the users. You can also use it as a pay phone if you need to with much better clarity.

The more of us that get onto this system, the more opportunity we will have to talk to one another to clarify our points of view or get accurate information we are all trying to share. Give it a go and see what you think. You got nothing to lose but your smoker's cough. :D

Here is the link to download and get more info on SKYPE
http://www.skype.com/

My SKYPE contact name is "mikeyduk" if you want to contact me about any issues I have raised. Cheers. MD
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Whats wrong with ICQ, MSN or even IRC?
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
DaveH
Gold
Gold

Post by DaveH »

It's a great service. I've been using it to talk VOIP to family at home (USA-IRL). It's the 1st internet telephony service that seems to work properly.

It's handy for IM too; no bundled cr@p u have to download. No popups or spam either.
MD
Verde
Verde

Other

Post by MD »

Matts,

I cannot directly answer your question as I have never tried those systems but others who have might like to comment on them.

What I do know is that SKYPE is very efficient, gives no problems with firewalls even like ZoneAlarm which is known to give some of these systems a hard time.

There is no hassling with ads or other rubbish. All you need for really good communications is a cheap headset. If you use your PC speakers, it can set up a bit of an echo problem and a headset fixes this issue 100%.

I invite you to install it and try it. Feel free to give me a call and see how good this system is. If you don't like it, you can always uninstall it just like anything else.

BTW, there is no commission in this for me. :D The growth of the network is on a person to person recommendation. When I first joined up, there were just under 1 Million users on line. Now I frequently see over 2.5 Million. The steady growth of SKYPE must be an indication of its worth.

Like telephones, you have the problems of global time to contend with but with a bit of forward planning, you can make that call or send an instant message.

Thanks for your interest.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Dennis
Gold
Gold

Post by Dennis »

MSN, IRC etc. aren't too well in handling streaming sound. The texting service from Skype is just a add-on, it's a voice over IP program. It has both windows, mac and linux versions and performs well! You can call anybody i nthe world with the same program for free without even the delay you get from long-distance phone calls. Have I mentioned it's free? Try it, you'll be amazed!
'81 GTV6 3.0 QV
'91 75 TS (track)
'02 BMW 330i Touring
DaveH
Gold
Gold

Post by DaveH »

Hmmm....I foresee a time when our personal profiles will need a skype ID. Perhaps.