Anything that does not fit into other topics.
zulu
Silver
Silver

to alfa or not..gtv6-3.0l

Post by zulu »

hi guys ..have a ques to pose to you knowledgeable types. i have lusted after a gtv6-3.0l for some time, would you get out of a porker 944S to drive the gtv? the porker is great but the exhaust note does nothing for me as a petrolhead. rust is a big concern for me on these cars, the rest of the quirks associated with the car are all part of driving an older classic car......
Mats
Verde
Verde

Re: to alfa or not..gtv6-3.0l

Post by Mats »

Why would you get into a 944?

I did, once, have driven plenty of GTVs after that and bought one. :wink:
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
zulu
Silver
Silver

Post by zulu »

well the 944 is not a car our locals steal or hijack...which is an issue when driving over here.
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Damn locals...good excuse to strap up and lay them musters down.

But yeah, the porker has nooo soul, like most german cars lol. And i've driven my fair share, i like mercs though, but not all...anyway, a gtv6 is an amazing car, what are you waitin for...? :P

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Ecu and injectors, lightened.....plays music.
zulu
Silver
Silver

Post by zulu »

a push i guess.....the rust worries me. although she'll live in a garage, my house is 100m from the beach......very condusive to those little tin worms.
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

The rust was more common with earlier Alfas, the gtv6's are and should be fine. Mine has only one spot of rust in the rear and top of sunroof, but so minor i dont worry about it, one day i'll have it cut out.

Try to buy one that has been garaged. :wink:

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Ecu and injectors, lightened.....plays music.
zulu
Silver
Silver

Post by zulu »

ok, which do i buy 2.5 or the famous 3.0l. i live in south africa and have found 3, 3.0l's ranging from 75k zar to 185k zar whereas the 2.5's go for a lot less 45k zar..is the extra cash worth spending on an authentic 3.0l ...ie are they really collectable and desireable as suggested/implied.
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

zulu wrote:ok, which do i buy 2.5 or the famous 3.0l. i live in south africa and have found 3, 3.0l's ranging from 75k zar to 185k zar whereas the 2.5's go for a lot less 45k zar..is the extra cash worth spending on an authentic 3.0l ...ie are they really collectable and desireable as suggested/implied.
Are they collectible?? yes...for more info on specs, kevin is the man :P
zulu
Silver
Silver

Post by zulu »

have pm'd kevin a bit, still cant decidewhether to buy original example or one that has been changed to f/inj
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Generally most from johannesburg and bloem are rust free. I would by a 3.0 carbi then if the carbs give you hassles and you cant sort it out then inject it. You would be crazy to buy a 2.5 IF you can find a 3.0 for a good price . Prices are really climbing and a lot are going overseas. Put the carbs in storage and rebuild them slowly at your own leisure.
Or alternatively you can buy a 2.5 that has been converted to a 24v which has a 3.0 hood, spoiler and interior ,and badging etc which is a real blast to drive for alternative driving to the porker.(pm me if you want the above)
As said before the carbi 3.0 is a real awseome car to drive for its character but sadly its now a classic like a 308 Ferrari (good looks ,great sound but no longer the supercar - most diesels are faster)
nisaar
Gold
Gold

Post by nisaar »

hz it guy also in JHB i'd say go with a fuel injected GTV I,ve had a few belive me,the carbs arn't worth
the hassle ,time consuming to set , them rattle themselves loose,en hulle kan suip soos n' matroos.
atleast with the 2.5 you will get 10kms per liter town and 12kms per liter on the highway JNB to Durbz it uses 3 quarter tank not to shabby if you need info just pm me
Lifes a journey? F*** the ride get there first ALFA ROMEO oo=v=oo
zulu
Silver
Silver

Post by zulu »

have made the decision to go the gtv route....now just to find the right car which i think i have . time will tell wether the 'petrolhead gods' are looking out for me.