Anything that does not fit into other topics.
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

I like the old military stuff because they did so much with so few parts....kind of like how Alfa kept the hemi combustion chamber with only one cam per head. And kept it simple and light.

An interesting gun to look at is the Swiss Schmidt-Rubin straight pull rifle. Best machine work I've ever seen on a rifle.... I guess that's what happens when you have a bunch of watch makers building rifles.

Scott
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Yeah, I have one of those Schmidt-Rubin rifles to. Incredible rate of fire for a bolt action, and very very nicely made. They are dirt cheap to, $150 buys a great one. However it doesn't have the power and noise of the Mauser.
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

I think I saw one at the gun shop a few weeks ago, I noticed the Swiss cross on top of the chamber, thought about the watches. That is the Mauser I was thinking of getting, I guess I will put that on the list when I get moved into my house, there are a couple of rifle ranges around so I will have to jon one, I think I have had the M1 for about 11 years and have maybe only put 10 rounds through it, so it deserves better.
patzo_3l
Platinum
Platinum

Post by patzo_3l »

how do those gun laws work there fellas. down here in kangaroo paw land we have to apply for permits that take weeks on end and have to back it up with in some cases references as to why the gun is for and when how it will be used etc etc. basically you decide on a gun u want and then weeks/ months later once this process has taken place u can finally legally buy it from the shop. i have always been curious as to how it works in the us. can u just go to a store, choose a gun and buy it like in the movies? ? ?
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

I am not up on the current rules, and I am not sure rifles and hand guns are treated the same, but at most if you have no criminal back ground, just go out and buy what you want, I think most places can do an instant back ground check to make sure you are not an ex-convict, and I am not sure there is a waiting period any more. Have to be of a certain age and have identification. Not too bad.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

I heard on the news yesterday that Sweden has most guns per capita in the world (in private homes).
We do have a lot of hunters and "reserve-military-personnel" though with guns at home (i.e. fully automatic rifles and worse).
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

x-rad wrote:MJR,

Unless someone here owns the Miss Budwieser unlimited hydroplane, that jet probably takes the "toy" cake....

Do you have second gear "crunch" at mach 2+ ????

:lol: Good one! believe it or not its more user friendly than the gtv6! its just a big hair drier. alfa sounds better on tick over though :lol:

Man its mind boggling that you fellas have all of this heavy artillery! You cant own a gun in the uk now, after some lunatic shot up a school here 10 years ago. I tried to keep a Lugger my uncle had, and the police made me destroy it. I only ever fired big guns in the millitary.When I was in deepest darkest Mississippi in February, Me and some guys just went out on a relatives land and shot the crap outa anything we wanted, with a Winchester pump and a Heckler and cosh assault rifle, The winchester remided me of teh film Bullit, Great fun. real shame its so draconian in the UK.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Mats, I think it's the Swiss that have the most guns per capita.
patzo_3l
Platinum
Platinum

Post by patzo_3l »

:lol: wow fellas thats some interesting stuff there. very interesting indeed. LOL mats i wonder what country has the most alfas per capita? now that would be a nice country to go on vacation too.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Greg Gordon wrote:Mats, I think it's the Swiss that have the most guns per capita.
And I think you really mean Sweden and not Switzerland... 8)

I had a big gun in the military, 15.5cm Haubits. 9 tons of pure firepower...
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Que Boludo
Gold
Gold

Post by Que Boludo »

All this gun talk makes me happy I live in Australia with very tight laws; the idea of everyone owning a high-powered gun is a bit scary.
I’ve had some crazy neighbours and the thought of them having guns to relive the stress of our ball going over his fence is frightening.

I think most Australians still use the fist to settle a matter.
I maka de list, you Justa geta the parts - OK! Wise words from the great master Toni Baloney – Ginger Fingers.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Fist?..How uncouth..I have a great big Ford f 350 4x4 for that.. :D 8) :wink:

Fitted with a 6l Cummins turbo diesel at that..Not mine realy,a mates.. :wink:But its what Id use to settle scores.. :lol:
Que Boludo
Gold
Gold

Post by Que Boludo »

Bang, BANG!!

Ha deisel, with all that smoke you will never find me.
I maka de list, you Justa geta the parts - OK! Wise words from the great master Toni Baloney – Ginger Fingers.
pancho
Gold
Gold

Post by pancho »

you look like a terro rist when you haven't shaved, so you would be hard to find in australia anyway.
PanchoRama

From the great master Del Compo "so, wat you wan doin?"

High Five. Sexy Time. You Lose
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Buying a gun here in the US varies by state. The Federal requirements include filling out a form and having a dealer do the "instant" (not always even if you're a good guy) check. There are exceptions, if the gun is on the curio and relic list (mostly WW2 and older)(form but no instant check), the purchase is from a private party, or a transfer between relatives (immediate family i think) there is no form or background check. In California, there is a 10 day wait and defacto registration added to the federal process. There are also no exemptions to the 10 day wait and registration for any handgun regardless of age (cartrige guns). There are no restrictions on the purchase of any muzzle loaders, be they handgun. shotgun, or rifle.

If you want something that can go fully automatic that is a whole nother ballgame.

artillery......well just don't ask.

those polititians just don't like being asked to leave

scott