Anything that does not fit into other topics.
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Pics for Jules

Post by la_strega_nera »

Due to Julian being in a technological wasteland, heres some pics I've been trying to send but keep getting eaten up by his flight school's antivirus...

Theres 1 more piccy, but its too big...
Attachments
042Inverted.jpg
042Inverted.jpg (68.55 KiB) Viewed 10896 times
042OverVirginia.jpg
042OverVirginia.jpg (99.12 KiB) Viewed 10896 times
F22_missile.jpg
F22_missile.jpg (221.9 KiB) Viewed 10894 times
jdam1-2.JPG
jdam1-2.JPG (66.92 KiB) Viewed 10896 times
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

matt
Platinum
Platinum

Post by matt »

Very nice 8) heres some more stuff......always read your NOTAM's Jules this crew didn't, missed the runway works in progress................ouch
Attachments
noNOTAMssmall.jpg
noNOTAMssmall.jpg (20.63 KiB) Viewed 10876 times
Aussie F-111 action
Aussie F-111 action
F111 dump burn.jpg (9.78 KiB) Viewed 10875 times
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Thanks Ben!

The F-22 is one of those aircraft that looks awkward, yet great from any angle. Kinda like a big stealthy F-15. From memory it demonstrated a 40o angle of attack in level flight. Nucking Futs. Everything i fly stalls at 16o unless its under "g"...and even then, I did manage to 'g' stall a decathlon out of the top of a loop...

That's a great 'vark shot too Matt... two TF-30s and a some JETA1 under pressure will do that!

We were at 8500' North of Evan's Head restricted area when two varks became visible on their way into the bombing range last year. Let me tell you that 500' AGL and 400kts is certainly belting along- especially when all you can see is two shadows playing tip and turn over the hills. If I cant score a "Chairline" job, I will cartainly have a go at doing that.

and from memory, the potholed C-130 was a brand spankers J model.... probably two years old...wonder if he got dishonourably discharged? Certainly made a mess of it!
Fixing it bit by bit....
matt
Platinum
Platinum

Post by matt »

I think the f111 doesnt even have a Vmo just a temp limit somewhere on the airframe!
Here some Dash 8 stuff some from Lord Howe Island, not as exciting as afterburners/missles. Enjoy the ride getting that airline job Jules as once you get into bigger 2 crew aircraft there's so many rules/regs/limitations/SOPs.............well enjoy the hands on flying while you can! :D

Now wheres Greg and Fedezyl, + who else ?
Attachments
72 seat DHC-400
72 seat DHC-400
Q400small.jpg (20.89 KiB) Viewed 10854 times
DHC-200 YLHI.JPG
DHC-200 YLHI.JPG (17.8 KiB) Viewed 10856 times
DHC-200 FLTDECK.JPG
DHC-200 FLTDECK.JPG (149.9 KiB) Viewed 10858 times
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

Some interesting notes on F22 combat performance.... they've been benchmarking it in air combat trials agains f15s, and not a single "kill" by the 15s have been scored against the 22... ie single f22 splashes 4 f15s before they can target him...
matt
Platinum
Platinum

Post by matt »

Its hard to imagine going into battle and you're dead before you've even seen the enemy.......certainly technology plays a major part now, not the pilots better eyesight + flying skills dog fighting like WW2
look at the first Gulf War and what the US Apache helicopters did the the Iraqi solders fleeing from Kuwait! That was devistating. Those helicopters even have a teloscopic sight/tageting pod on top of the rotor so they hide behind a hill/building, raise the targeting pod - record targets, lower the pod, then hover up fire away, drop down again and the enemy would have even seen it comming!
The main macine gun is aimed by sights in the pilots helmet....

no chance

the F117 Stealth was "made public" then too because of daylight hour operations but that had been in service for a number of years!
F22 great, but its probably some gap behind what truely is the cutting edge of technology out there.......we just won't know about for another 10 years......

Hypersonic scram jets, UAV's, plasma beams........... :shock:

have a look at this scary stuff http://www.aardvark.co.nz/pjet/

jet powered billy cart video here http://www.aardvark.co.nz/pjet/images/kartflame4.mpg
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

8)
Attachments
B2Banking4oClock.jpg
B2Banking4oClock.jpg (40.61 KiB) Viewed 10838 times
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

8)
Attachments
B2AndC130.jpg
B2AndC130.jpg (80.81 KiB) Viewed 10837 times
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

8)
Attachments
B2TakingOff9oClock.jpg
B2TakingOff9oClock.jpg (95.83 KiB) Viewed 10837 times
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

8)
Attachments
B2AndB52.jpg
B2AndB52.jpg (26.54 KiB) Viewed 10836 times
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Hmm,
Jules is a military pilot by profession? I thought I was cool for taking a few aviation lessons.
Jules,
Please spoon feed me the story. What are you flying?
-james
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

zambon wrote:Hmm,
Jules is a military pilot by profession? I thought I was cool for taking a few aviation lessons.
Jules,
Please spoon feed me the story. What are you flying?
-james
Nah, he's training up to be an overpaid bus driver... :P (Commercial pilot)
There is however a RAAF bombing range not far from where he's based.
matt
Platinum
Platinum

Post by matt »

"Nah, he's training up to be an overpaid bus driver... :P (Commercial pilot)"

i don't mean to take the wind outa ya sails but....you need to know the harsh realities of what you're getting into.....

With all due respect you have to flying a heavy jet to be on the big$$$ and the road to this is very very very very hard.
Hard because of the large cost to initially get your Commercial Licence, thats just to get started. If you can get a start that is, with 150 hours experience, no ones going to touch you even with a CPL, you need to bridge the gap between this 150hours and the minimum number of hours a very small charter company or cattle station will require for insurance. So you might do parachute dropping or glider towing (Yes you aero tow a glider with a rope into the air with a powered aircraft, usually an old crop duster, this is what i did to get hours starting out).
So once you get the hours to get into a charter company you've only got a bare commercial to fly single engine 6 seat etc aircraft like a Cessna 210 so to get fully qualified you need an instrument and multi engine rating $8000 then get your ATPL subjects (Airline Transport Pilot Licence) so you can be a Captain in a 2 pilot aircraft above 5.7 tonnes (airline pilot) another $2000 but remember you haven't got the hours yet for this just getting the theory outa the way.
So maybe by the time you have 700hours minimum you may get into a twin engine charter aircraft like a Baron or C310, realisticly more like 1200+ hours before you get into a twin, depends on luck and the company you work for. So you finally get 1500 hours (usually more) and you get all the requirements out of the way for your ATPL licence.
you've been applying to the airlines QF,Cathay, Virgin Blue etc but get in que, the line very is long and distinguished!!! plus hang on you've been in this industry a number of year and been paid abosolute SHIT becuase to get your hours the small companies all under cut each other, have no profit margin a pay you absolute shit and don't you kick up a fuss about it either the boss will fire you becuase 4 or 5 guys every day walk in asking if the is any work going...... Don't make any mistakes either along the way your reputation will be shot, word spreads fast.........
Alot of guys drop out of aviation over the years unable to make it happen.
Of the course i was on in 1994 only 4 out of 9 still fly

Who wants to be a pilot now?

Don't believe flying schools "get an airline job once you've finished your licence"....this i absolute BULL SHIT

This is just a harsh reality of aviation in Australia, i could go on and on...

The point i'm making is KNOW what your getting into, its not going to be easy at all but if its what you really really want it wouldn't matter what i say you still want to fly anyway and.....

its this kind of determination you'll need to get yourself through

Good luck Jules any questions email me

Matt
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

matt wrote:Tonnes of depressing reality
Jeez, you're making me feel bad bout taking the piss.....