Anything that does not fit into other topics.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

My wife would have said the same thing.

I raced a 350Z from about 65mph up to about 100mph with my supercharged GTV6 (L-Jet, non intercooled). I am pretty sure the Z was an automatic, the GTV6 slowly pulled away from it, not by much, but enough to open up a couple car lengths by 100mph. I was very happy about that!

Greg
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

I must admit I am lucky in that respect. She doesn't have a care in the world as to high speed driving except at night.

The day before I had to take her and her folks up to visit her sister,now her mom has an absolute fear for speed so it was a loooong drive with my right ankle paining by the time we got there... :lol:

Greg in my neck of the woods there are a number of supercharged 350 Nissan's running around although I have yet to hook up with one in an impromptu TLGP. :lol: I suspect,though,that then I will come off second best as they are claiming some crazy horsepower figures for these cars. :shock:
"Racing is life,everything before and after is just waiting."- Steve Mqueen
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

Greg the company doing those supercharged conversions on the Nissan 350Z are Rob Green and they claim 357Kw on the flywheel.

How is it,you can go for ages without ever picking up an impromptu street race then in the space of a month a whole bunch seem to creep out of the woodwork! :shock:

Yesterday I had my uncle from California with me in the car.We are stopped at a traffic light when lo and behold what pulls up next to me but a white Scooby WRX STi with the usual gold mags.The 'proper' STI guys,not this hatchback abortion they are trying to pass off now.. :evil: Sorry but I am not a fan of the new one no matter how competent it still is.

We both pull off slowly...then the Scooby just dropped the hammer and in a flash is ahead of me with my front bumper alongside his rear.Anyway I also nail it in the remainder of 1st gear,change to second and the gap stayed the same then into 3rd and I clawed back next to his back door.But we both had to brake because we were now fast approaching the next traffic light with cars stationary up ahead.Darn I was really keen to see if I was going to run with him. :D
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

There are quite a few good forced induction options for the 350Z, at least two good turbo kits, a good Roots kit, and a bunch of centrifugal kits, and as we all know I am not too fond of those. It's not at all unusual for a 350hp Roots or turbo car to clobber a 400hp centrifugal car.

I have had that happen, months of nothing, and then lots of races. I think at a certain point some ricers were looking for a run against my grey GTV6.

Your car is significantly faster than my grey GTV6 was. My car could beat a normal WRX, but it would not have had a chance against a STI. I am working on that though, I think within 6 months my shop will turn out two 12 valve Alfas that can bean a STI....maybe. I will document one of those builds on this site starting in about a week, the car just showed up yesterday.

Greg
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Greg,

Will those 2 engines be 2.5 12Vs or 3.0 12V? I think stock STI has about 250 awhp. So if a 2.5 can have that much, it will beat a WRX from a roll as the STI is at least 400 lbs heavier than a GTV6. Super Red Verde should have no probs against the STI, don't you think?

I can barely beat a Audi TT225.
Dr. Alban
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Hi Zamani,

One car is SuperRedVerde, back for more power. The other is my Brown GTV6 2.5 I have owned forever. The SuperRedVerde project I will detail here.

I don't know what a STI really has at the wheels, somehow I thought they had more than that. They are darn fast according to the magazines. I have never actually raced one.

Greg
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

Greg I look forward to following your project.I reckon here on the Reef your supercharged GTV6's would be very strong as we are about 5 500 feet above sea level.

Z,here where I live you just never know what level of mods a STI is running.There are cars here where more than R500 000 has been spent on upgrading there performance. :shock:

Ironicaly I saw the latest WRX in traffic this morning in the usual Scooby blue.Still stands out from the crowd I must concede.
fortom
Gold
Gold

Post by fortom »

Fernando, stop it now please..... as an ex SA Guilietta hoon living in Brakpan, i now live in Auckland NZ with a GTV6 at 100kph speed limit , 120 tops if traffic allows :cry: but moving to Perth later this year so maybe can go a bit faster there????? anybody from Perth can i :?:
Rookie ROX
Gold
Gold

Post by Rookie ROX »

Legally, no, you can't go faster than 110km/h.

However, it's WA, so there's LOTS of straight, empty roads. Plus radar detectors are legal, so you can keep on par with the local constabulary ;)

ROCK ON
R~R
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

In the Kimberley you can go pretty hard- if you're not worried about hitting Kangaroos! I hit a roo in a Holden/Opel Barina At 110kmh between Wyndham and Kununurra... had to drag it out of the engine bay by its tail. Not even my car. Shit. I kicked it!

I have enjoyed driving my car pretty hard numerous times, but I am at the point where I realise that keeping my engine means I will need to strip it and race it. My engine belongs at 8k RPM, not idling at traffic lights.

Have raced and beaten S13s, early 90s Celica GT4, Holden VR SS 5.0L and Clubsports, S2000s,

But I'm a pussy cat these days- no more burnouts- NSW treat you like a hardened crim for driving fast, and I spend all my money on flying at the moment.

Now I want to go back to my original plan- and that's to have a car like Brian Berger's- aircon included- monoblocked 8v TS running a Garrett with a tightish exhaust and large compressor- linear power delivery and big boost at the flick of a switch for trackdays- I don't think I would ever get any use out of a racer. I wouldn't have the time to devote to it, and my passion has always been aircraft- I want to fly P-51s and Spitfires, and big radial engined taildraggers that want to hurt you!

But Damn i love my GTV. I think I could walk up to that shape forever, and never tire of it. I think I could drive a car you reall yhave to drive, forever, and never tire of it. So I guess the next phase will begin soon!
Fixing it bit by bit....
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

By the way, when I want pictures, I go BB.

But I'm a mind stimulated person, and the personalities and conversation here is much better for someone like me- so let's keep it going!
Fixing it bit by bit....
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Jules,

I thought you're already a captain of the 380. :lol: Just kidding. It's been a while now, shouldn't you get paid for flying and not the other way around? Good luck anyway m8!

I'm debating whether to run the time trial class or race class in 2 weeks. Maybe just TT, poor car, don't want to race it :D
Dr. Alban
SimonB
Gold
Gold

Post by SimonB »

In a tired, standard GTV6 its getting hard to find cars to smoke! Sad to admit I got hammered through the gears by a Seat Ibiza recently! We rounded a tight motorway intersection neck and neck then both stepped on it. The Ibiza pulled away from 60kph up until the legal limit. It was not even a new Ibiza :( One of the first VW based types.

When I first bought this car 10 years ago I had much more fun, before all the big torque TDi stuff came out. Glad to hear about the modded ones spanking upscale modern cars though. Keep the stories coming. I used to have fun crossing the Pyranees, used to pass the shopping cars 5 at a time on the uphill sections! Once a Daewoo blew up his engine trying to keep up with me on the A3 Valencia- Madrid motorway! :D I was maintaining a steady indicated 140kph through all the uphill sections and he decided his shiny new car should be able to keep up with my 20 year old. He did keep up with my self-imposed limit, but only for a while :lol: It might not be the fastest thing on the road but I still love driving it, it gives real feedback, makes a lovely noise and feels super stable. I am looking forward to driving it from Viana do Castelo (Portugal) to Nice (France) when I move there this year.

I am flying out with my family then returning for the car alone :) Should be a fun drive...

Only thing is, real fast driving is out in Western Europe unless you are super rich. Over 180k they take your licence in France, Spain or Portugal. In Spain over 200 they take your car! Track days are the thing now...
¡Si me gusta conducir, es porque conduzco un Alfa!

'84 GTV6 UK spec back on the road after 4 years!
05 Corolla daily driver
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

Glad to see there is still high octane petrol flowing through the veins... :D

I fear South Africa is fast going the route of Europe and Australia as to it's no tolerance to speeding.It might sound like I drive like a lunatic all day everyday,but don't kid yourself most of my driving is spent in crazy traffic where I am lucky to see third gear. :cry:

I also won't 'race' someone if I feel it could endanger other road users,as that would just be plain unselfish on my part.

Jules I am with you 100%,I just never get tired of the shape.I love it just as much as the first time I clapped eyes on one as a kid.The amount of compliments I get for this car also makes it worthwhile for the old ego... :lol:

I shudder to think what public roads will be like in just the next 10 years from now.Fortom I feel your pain boet. :cry:
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Police here are getting worse also. Speed limits haven't changed , but fines and enforcement are up considerably. State and local governments are having revenue problems and so are "solving" it with more speeding tickets and bigger fines.

scott