Anything that does not fit into other topics.
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Barry they are the YB-49 prototypes from memory, aren't they sweet looking?- there was a tandem seat twin pusher piston that was used to validate the shape before they were built too...? Im looking for a piccie now.

Fedezyl... So you fly too?! Obviously airliners with a 140kt final... that's what my cruise TAS is ATM!!!

Greg- I thought you were an engineer, having spoken to you about it on the older forums? What are you steering?!?

Zambon- that about sums up the SR71.... wow, and to think Kelly Johnson did that more than 40 years ago. They are the most elegant looking jet, IMO! Ive seen a video of one flying over @ around 200' and lighting it's burners as it passes over- it splutters and it pops some of the most monstrous flames you will ever see, before climbing out with a filthy steep vertical attitude and next to no airspeed...but it's got no sound!

http://www.wvi.com/~sr71webmaster/srvid~1.htm

Here it is!
Fixing it bit by bit....
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

joey wrote: Thats great and all, but what does that mean in the present world order? Not much i would hazard.

Pretty expensive way to play sabre-rattling over china, perhaps a good thing then that the F22 programme got cut. Anyone have an idea of how this aircraft preforms against the su-37? okay, i forget the proper russian designation, but i mean the real life thrust-vectoring super flanker and not the s37 berkut or whatever their take on the "f22-beater" is...
It means an awefull lot when the chinese are building a aircraft of similar capability based on stolen data....
Amazing, the chinese building something copied from someone else? (/sarcasm. The v8 scene is slowly being flooded with cheap chinese made ripoffs of aussie and american designed parts, really gets on my goat.)
Sure, it doesn't help when you're talking about nailing a raghead with an rpg in a backstreet in durkha-durkistan, but when you look at something potentially happening in taiwan....
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

The Chinese have license productin for "200" Flankers... which will become the basis for their latest aircraft, just as the MiG-21 with the Shenyang J-8 series.... their still building stuff based on that airframe. Now that they will have their hands on an aerodynamically "pure" and unstable aircraft like the Flanker (not to mention its monstrously capable radar and datalink capability), their next creations will be pretty much, Flankers.

The F-22 is taking second fiddle to the F-35 program, which for all intents and purposes, is aimed at replacing the F-16 and 18 worldwide. I think its a hunk of junk, but I believe you will find that when they start to weigh up the thought of having a large force of JSFs, that probably wont perform all the roles they want it to, quite as well as they hope, F-22 production will win a reprieve.

IMO they're trying to get too much commonality out of the one airframe with the JSF, and it will suffer in all roles as a result. What will be impressive is the longevity of its gearbox and lift fan, and the avionics suite.
Fixing it bit by bit....
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Jules, I am a pilot and at times, like when moving backward in seinority a flight engineer. Currently on the old but fast 727.
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

I didnt think they let too many of them get around anymore! What are they like, Greg? I imagine it would be a nice challenging aircraft to fly.

I didnt realise you meant flight enginer, as opposed to an engineer- that would've been on 747 300s? I have a friend whose dad is one of the last of the breed within QANTAS, and its basically a forced retirement within the next 3 years for him.

And Also you Fedezyl? What are you flying? 737-200/300s? I have a friend who was flying them out of Malaysia for a bit, and he said they are great old things- possibly a bit like the 727- Loud, Thirsty and quick!

The Air Niugini cadets I am training with will all go back and fly either Dash-8 100s, or Twin Otters. Some of them may progress on to Fokker F28s and F100s, but the F28s days are numbered too. Looking at them makes me realise how lucky they are with that opportunity straight off the bat.
Fixing it bit by bit....
matt
Platinum
Platinum

Post by matt »

Don't envy them Jules, being a cadet has its draw backs.

The best thing you can do is head out west, up north get into a charter company and get some twin time up. This will fast track your career.

Its a different world out "bush" you'll have a ball, flying all over the coontry, its a hard to explain its just so different from anything on the East Coast of OZ. In some places (alot) its third world counrty standards and worse.
Some areas of the Great Sandy desert, yes there are Aboriginal communities even in the middle of these inhospitable deserts you'll be the only aircraft for 200nm! no VHF radio all HF stuff.
I used to have to do the Health clinic flights where i'd pick up the sickest people from these communites and fly them to the Derby health clinic for treatment, then fly them all back. You don't even want to know! Believe me!
Other times i've heard of people call a charter flight for food supplies to certain places. The delivery truck arrives and the "food" is 34 cartons of beer! People even swim across croc infested rivers to make the deliver point :shock:

Anyway you'll have alot of fun flying out there, be challenged, hone you decision making skills immensely and fast track your career!!

Heres a typical bush strip "out there" :D and how much water floods during the wet season!
Attachments
gibb river flood small.jpg
gibb river flood small.jpg (18.68 KiB) Viewed 9268 times
TCR BUSHlow.jpg
TCR BUSHlow.jpg (17.77 KiB) Viewed 9268 times
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

SydneyJules wrote:I didnt think they let too many of them get around anymore! What are they like, Greg? I imagine it would be a nice challenging aircraft to fly.

I didnt realise you meant flight enginer, as opposed to an engineer- that would've been on 747 300s? I have a friend whose dad is one of the last of the breed within QANTAS, and its basically a forced retirement within the next 3 years for him.

And Also you Fedezyl? What are you flying? 737-200/300s? I have a friend who was flying them out of Malaysia for a bit, and he said they are great old things- possibly a bit like the 727- Loud, Thirsty and quick!

The Air Niugini cadets I am training with will all go back and fly either Dash-8 100s, or Twin Otters. Some of them may progress on to Fokker F28s and F100s, but the F28s days are numbered too. Looking at them makes me realise how lucky they are with that opportunity straight off the bat.
hehehe, 727's are nice, very very very fast, the only drawback I see it could be it's climb rate with the small engines..but really a nice looking airplane..
So far i'm on the 737-200, not very fast compared to the 727, but again it was designed with shorter flight's in mind, we usually cruise at .74, mostly limited by fuel consumption, .74 would get you around 1300kg/h per engine, going at say... .79 would mean at least 1600+ kg/h
I'm hoping to upgrade to the 737-300 this year..but..well..49% of our company actions were bought by the venezuelan governement via their airline Conviasa, and well, they are talking about replacing the 737's and 767's for A330's and A320's...i'd love a 737NG but given Chavez current relationship with the U.S. I see it could be difficult...
Greg what airline do you fly for?, flying 727's? don't know who else is flying them, I know Fedex is, you fly the 727 or Super27 too?
joey
Gold
Gold

Post by joey »

SydneyJules wrote:The Chinese have license productin for "200" Flankers... which will become the basis for their latest aircraft, just as the MiG-21 with the Shenyang J-8 series.... their still building stuff based on that airframe. Now that they will have their hands on an aerodynamically "pure" and unstable aircraft like the Flanker (not to mention its monstrously capable radar and datalink capability), their next creations will be pretty much, Flankers.

The F-22 is taking second fiddle to the F-35 program, which for all intents and purposes, is aimed at replacing the F-16 and 18 worldwide. I think its a hunk of junk, but I believe you will find that when they start to weigh up the thought of having a large force of JSFs, that probably wont perform all the roles they want it to, quite as well as they hope, F-22 production will win a reprieve.

IMO they're trying to get too much commonality out of the one airframe with the JSF, and it will suffer in all roles as a result. What will be impressive is the longevity of its gearbox and lift fan, and the avionics suite.
yeah, thats what i heard. i knew about the knock-off flankers, did know that they were stealing the f22, tho that does make sense. It would be foolish to believe that the chinese were simply incapable of it. As for the JSF, its pretty incredible how many roles they can make out of one airframe. I was pretty amazed by the VSTOL version, at least that was on the table at proposal stage... I guess the F22 program could be extended in the future, pending the shape of future conflicts, seeing as the engines are a blloody big part of them, the JSF program could indeed help keep the prospect of more F22s on the table, so ... dont be so harsh on them jules !... :wink:

guess economics wins in the end... Good for the pilots, given the choice between a fresh JSF and an old f16, i'm sure the decision is easy.. i mean when was the 16 designed? late 60s/ early 70s?
"Fun is an unintended, unforeseen, and usually undignified consequence of life."
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

fedezyl wrote:49% of our company actions were bought by the venezuelan governement via their airline Conviasa, and well, they are talking about replacing the 737's and 767's for A330's and A320's...i'd love a 737NG but given Chavez current relationship with the U.S. I see it could be difficult...
Bags not being any where near Venezuela this year!
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Jules, I agree with everything Matt says about getting your carrer going. I also did some bush flying up in Alaska in my younger pre marriage days. Not a fun place for a single guy.

I am at DHL Airways, now called Astar Air Cargo. We have Dash 17 powered 727s which are the most powerfull factory 727s, they climb pretty well, not like the older Dash 7 and Dash 9 motors which can be downright scary at high take off weights. A few companies have small numbers of Super 727s which have two MD-80 motors and one original type JT8D in the middle. These are incredible performers.

The 727 is a very nice airplane to fly. It's the only large turbojet I have flown so I can't make a comparison to the 737, Airbuses etc. The 727 is capable of very very high roll rates up to 400 degrees/second if you cheat and activate all ailerons and spoilers in the right directions at the same time (air combat mode!). This will set off the speedbrake/Flap waring system but damn it's quick! In normal safe operation it's just great. Easy to fly, responsive, at least for a 197,000 pounder, and fast .90M. It's very very safe. The old plane has been around for 42 years and not a single fatal accident that was the fault of the airplane. It's definatly a WWII generation airplane expect for the wings and motors. Everything is over built and extra safe, no creature comforts, the ergonomics SUCK.

I flew it in the right seat at Kitty Hawk Air Cargo, and was two weeks from making Captian. They went bankrupt and I quit. Back to the bottom of the pile at DHL airways and the back seat...again. I have over 12,000 hours not including flight engineer time. About 6000 hours in the left seat of the Fairchild Expediter (called Metroliner and or Merlin IVC in some cases) and another couple thousand in the left seat of Beech airliners. Plenty of time in Caravans (when they were new!) Chieftains, etc.
matt
Platinum
Platinum

Post by matt »

Gee i've only seen one Merlin in Australia, plenty of Metro's, King Airs and some 1900's (C & D). Could you post some pics from Alaska Greg if possible, must be amazing senery and weather up there. I used to fly a Chieftain that operated there early in its life. It had everything, even deice boots !, heated left winshield, wiper, YD, flight director, votex kit, air con, even a speaker in the nose so you could talk to ground crew! Of course most of this wasn't much use in 35*c in the tropics but it was nice one to fly. Took it up to FL240 on Oxygen once during a ferry flight from Brisbane to Darwin too, those where the days.......fun.....
.90M ! is there anything faster (civilian)?? even a Gulstreams G500 Vmo is .88M plus 400* sec !! you could almost snap roll one before the flight data recorder even knew anything happened :lol:
Whats the Cargo industry like, rosters, trips away, pay and promotions etc????? I have very little knowledge in this area, plus have you done any corporate/Business jet flying too?

Jules there is a fair bit happening in Oz over the next few years with J* international starting up etc, even Emirates is comming here for pilot open days! This is unheard of ! and will lead to alot of recruitment as guys move on, go abroad etc etc
Theres talk of a pilot shortage (key word "talk" as its never really happened) but there is a gap in experience out there as no one learned to fly after Sept 11, Ansett & SAR's etc so it may work out perfectly for ya in the future :D
If you work really hard getting some hours up + twin time over the next couple of years you may just be in the "right place at the right time".
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

Well, Citation X's cruise at .92..that's fast...but yeah, 727's are among the fastest airliners out there, the 747 is very fast too, .86 cruise.., tell me Greg, what exactly do you do on the 727 to increase the roll rate? hehe, I guess that's the good thing about flying cargo...no passenger complaints about brisk maneuvers and high descent angles on approach...
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I have been hearing about this upcomming "pilot shortage" since 1988, it never happens, there has been a pilot glut in the U.S. for at least that long. The only serious pilot shortage I am aware of was in Germany in 1945.

Matt, in the U.S. cargo is currently the way to go. More money, more days off, and our companies are not going bankrupt. That's not to say we don't have our problems, we do, but it's better then flying passengers right now. It's not that we went up in pay and benifits, the others came down.

The Citation X is currently the fastest civilian plane. The old 727 is probably second fastest, although some say the old Convair 990 would out run it. Can't say I have seen one of those in flyable condition though.

The secret to the 727 combat mode is as follows: Flaps 5 deg to unlock most of the outboard ailerons travel. Speed brake 50%. At this point full control wheel deflections either direction will fully deflect the inboard ailerons and almost fully deflect the outboard ailerons, plus all flight spoilers will go up on one wing and none will move on the other. Of course this is totally against Boeing procedures because the speed brakes and flaps should not be out at the same time. However like most Boeings, they don't stop you from doing it, but instead they have it set off a warning horn. Air Bus has a different philosophy.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

This is quite something..
Wing was ripped off in fleight,this Isreali pilot still managed to control it and make a safe landing...
Truly amazing... :!:
Attachments
f15.jpg
f15.jpg (171.47 KiB) Viewed 9156 times