Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mats Strandberg (SWE)

Post by Zamani »

LENZ,

Can you PM me offline. I'm thinking of getting a widey 2.0 TS16V like one of those H&S Corse "EVO" cars stripping it down to turn it into a racer. Wondering about the TS16V and it's reliability/longevity.

Mats,

Do you mean lack of front grip making the rear end have "too much grip" ? I noticed that 155 I mentioned earlier, had lots of camber in the back. Didn't seem right, even the 155 STW/D2 didn't have that much camber. Further snooping found that it had a 916 subframe.

Have you checked about that intake hose at the lower part of the airbox? Free intake roar if you take it off :)
Dr. Alban
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Look at pretty much all FWD touring cars, they run silly amounts of camber to make the tyres less grippy in a progressive way. The 155 ST probably had to run std subframe stuff so no camber.
The 916 rear is a good way to introduce some rear wheel steer to make it feel better, and it works. It will however not be nice on a racecar since it will probably be impossible to replace all the bushings with bearings/rose joints because it then locks up (need the bushing compliance). When you start to use very stiff springs and shocks like on a race car the bushings will become (relatively) super soft and you will never be able to set toe or camber because on track it will be all over the track anyway...

Edit: The snorkel is there, still. Not sure I want to remove it because it will dra air from the "maybe-not-so-clean-inner-fender-area" then. Guess I need to modify it so it makes the magnificent noise with it on...
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

similar issue for me mats. i took off the cone filter from my 155 today and it was absolutely filthy. picking up the air from the inner fender is a bad idea, the air is very dirty there, from the cooling fins in the platic inner liner. also you run the risk of hydro locking the motor if you run through a deep puddle. need to look at a method for putting in a cone filter but getting cleaner air, chaneled from the original air feed, rather than inner fender. I think blocking off the inner fender would be a good idea. put a lot of little issues right on mine today. lets just say the climate control system in the 155 is an absolute bloody nightmare!! talk about tempramental and fragile!
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

I think the bearings on my RHS swing arm is toast, got camber and have high speed nervousness.
Another bullet on the winter-service-list. :roll:
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

ah the joys of alfa ownership hey! :lol: quick question for you guys. I noticed on my 155 that you get quite a bit of rubbery "bouncing" of the steering column when you go over a series of complex bumps. nothing loose, rack is good etc. Is that normal on the 155? Im thinking its probably the lowering springs.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

I think my car is not a sportpack car, so I wouldn't know. Seems that you need to head on to alfa155.org. Lots of blokes and chaps who can help you there.
Dr. Alban
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

mjr wrote:ah the joys of alfa ownership hey! :lol: quick question for you guys. I noticed on my 155 that you get quite a bit of rubbery "bouncing" of the steering column when you go over a series of complex bumps. nothing loose, rack is good etc. Is that normal on the 155? Im thinking its probably the lowering springs.
What do you mean exactly? There is noise from the suspension or the car feels like it's got solid suspension and only bounce on the tires?

Mine does that (only bounce on tires) on fast/hard bumps like asphalt edges or railroad tracks. It's the typical feel of shocks being tunded backwards, hard on fast piston speeds and soft on slow. It is the way of the moron, the feel hard and sporty but are still comfortable in cruising speeds.
I want something that is comfortable but still is sporty when you need it.

I.e. Bilsteins instead of Konis. 8)
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

I wish I knew what shocks were fited to mine mats :lol: had a look yesterday but nothing on them, annoying. what I mean is, when you go over a series a small sharpish bumps in the road, the steering column and steering wheel move around in a springy up and down fashion, like a half an inch deflection, not like the column or rack is loose, there is no play, but just a sort of springy shudder, like a damper would react if you could get hold of it when going over bumps. its not unpleasant, just something I haven't come across on other front wheel drives before. its hard to explain it really. It feels like the dampers are crap, and some of the reaction is transmitted through the steering column, producing this. i think like yours I need to fit some decent Bilstein shocks to it! :roll:
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

The column adjustment is loose?
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
LENZ
Gold
Gold

Post by LENZ »

No, 8J N technology OZ wheels (ex 147 cup wheels), 240-610 17 slicks, still got the 155 rear axle and no grip issues yet.
Had planned to use the 916 rear axle, but that no longer is on top of my wishlist, the very simple fiat tipo rear set up worked good enough.
The 155 proved to be a good base for a racecar, the biggest disadvantage of the car at this point is the driver, so i can better spent my money on improving my driving skills.

Sorry Mats, back on topic
155 3.0 V6 24v Q2 NovaCorse
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Wow good looking car Lennart!
Dr. Alban
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

very nice 155! :D mats, spot on fella 8) , I noticed it this morning, the column height adjuster is alittle weak when locked up, it is allowing a little spring in the column, I'll have a look at it in the next few days, Im sure it can be tightened up.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Pistons anyone?

New. Complete with rings and pins.
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
MALDI
Platinum
Platinum

Post by MALDI »

You have been waiting for these forever, correct?
'84 GTV6 3.0L
'81 X1/9
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Forever if you're a ten year old. 8)
Problem is that they're wrong for me. :roll:

So I'm ordering a new set.
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!