Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
SteveMoon
Silver
Silver

Introduction - Hello

Post by SteveMoon »

Steve Moon here; this is my first time posting so I thought I'd just say hello. I am currently driving a 1984 GTV6 I bought off ebay. At less than $2k it has been a heck of a deal.

I also just recently bought my 9th Alfa, a 1985 Alfetta GTV 2.0 Euro model. I bought it intending to make a track car out of it, but it's in pretty bad shape, so I haven't decided what to do with it yet. At only $200 it was worth the gamble. The carbs alone are worth it.

Along with a good buddy of mine we own a small hobby company called Ultra Hobby Products. We make model airplane kits and parts. We make several parts out of carbon fiber. We got to thinking awhile back and decided to try making a carbon fiber hood scoop for the GTV6. After several pulls from the mold to find the right proportions of carbon and resin I have the prototype mounted on my car. The scoop is functional and has an aluminum base for mounting. If there is enough interest we will do a production run of these. If interested e-mail me at:stevemoon@cs.com.

Thanks, Steve
Attachments
P5160010.JPG
P5160010.JPG (51.03 KiB) Viewed 11138 times
P5160008.JPG
P5160008.JPG (98.1 KiB) Viewed 11139 times
P5160009.JPG
P5160009.JPG (33.67 KiB) Viewed 11138 times
4SFED4
Gold
Gold

Post by 4SFED4 »

Looks very nice Steve, looks much better than what Alfa made originally, or Callaway for that matter!

Very well done.
SteveMoon
Silver
Silver

Post by SteveMoon »

Thanks Brian. We're also making filter plate for 4 cyl. DOHC motors with dual carbs. I forgot to mention that earlier.

Steve
Attachments
P4240004.JPG
P4240004.JPG (40.54 KiB) Viewed 11111 times
ALFA GTV6 GP
Platinum
Platinum

Post by ALFA GTV6 GP »

Hi Steve,
Great scoop and welcome!
Steve what are those rims I have Simmons made in Oz that look identical and with regard to the the scoop I would be interested in two if they make production Thanks John.
Alfa 75 3.0 qv potenziata (Black)
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Silver)
Alfa GTV6 GP 3.0 (Red)
Alfa GTV6 GP (Concourse)
Alfa GTV6 SA 3.3 AHMotorsport (Grey) 226.3 Bhp atw
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Dark Grey) 200+ Bhp atw
SteveMoon
Silver
Silver

Post by SteveMoon »

John: Yes, those are Simmons 3-piece wheels, 16 x 7". I am sure we will do at least a small production run of the hood scoops. Price should be about $200 USD. The cloth and resin are expensive, and making the scoops is very time consuming. I'll keep you posted.

Steve
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

Steve,

That looks good, I think you can count on me for one!
SteveMoon
Silver
Silver

Post by SteveMoon »

Just thought I'd pass along an update on the GTV6 hood scoops. We've made a new mold and will start producing new scoops in the next month or two. They will look the same, we just decided to make a better mold. We will make both carbon fiber and fiberglass scoops. The fiberglass scoops will come in gray primer so they can be painted to match your car. The CF scoops will come with a clear coat so the CF weave can be seen.

I've also managed to pick up another Alfa in the past month. This one is a track ready 1979 Alfetta GT.

Rebuilt motor with high-comp pistons.
Weber 40s.
Ansa header with Flowmaster exhaust.
15" Panasports with 225/50 Kumho Victoracers.
Brembo brakes.
Milano sway bar and torsion bars, Koni shocks.
Racing radiator.
Roll cage.

It's loud and fun.

Later, Steve
Attachments
P7230003.JPG
P7230003.JPG (83.16 KiB) Viewed 10836 times
PaulyCC
Silver
Silver

Post by PaulyCC »

Nice cars Steve, do you have an estimate on what your scoops will cost now, fiberglass and CF? Looks cool with the clearcoat, did you drive it at highway speeds yet? ;)
rz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by rz »

i like your racer!
i wish you succes with your scoops!!!
tImBoWe
Gold
Gold

Post by tImBoWe »

Steve Any idea how much [roughly] for the scoops in C/F? Look pretty trick. Nice cars too. Tim.
SteveMoon
Silver
Silver

Post by SteveMoon »

Pauly, Tim, et al:

We expect the CF hood scoops to sell for $200.00 USD, and the fiberglass scoops to sell for about $150.00. The scoops are pretty thick. We are using 4 layers of CF to make the scoops. The first two we made used just two layers, but that wasn't quite enough, as I could see the top of the scoop flexing up a little bit at highway speeds. With 4 layers there is no flexing of the scoop.

I have driven over 100 mph with the scoops on with no touble. We are bonding the scoops to the aluminum base with JB Weld, 30 minute epoxy, and six small button head hold down screws.

I do realize the prices are pretty high, but these things take a long time to make, and the real price killer is the new generation of airplanes coming out from Boeing and Airbus. They are buying up all the CF they can get their hands on; worldwide, and it is really driving the prices up.

Thanks for looking, and I'll keep you posted.

Steve

ps: If you'd like to see some of the other hobby stuff my business partner John Girgsby and I are up to, checkout:
www.egpworld.com/ultrahobby
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

How much would a Milano hood cost? Rough estimate?
tImBoWe
Gold
Gold

Post by tImBoWe »

Put my name down for 1 please Steve. Keen as. Cheers Tim.
SteveMoon
Silver
Silver

Post by SteveMoon »

Zamani: Are you talking about an entire hood? If so, I really have no idea. If it was totally CF it would be quite expensive, as the cloth alone would probably cost several hundred dollars. We haven't taken on a project that big yet; though we have been asked. As we get more proficient at this we may start to look at larger projects.

Steve