Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
GTV68
Silver
Silver

GTV68 (68 being my year of birth)

Post by GTV68 »

Hi All

I've been Alfisti since learning to drive in a Sud at the age of 13.

Many years ago I nearly bought a GTV6, the deal only falling through as a result of the owners wife not wishing to part with her Lancia which was part of the over all purchase. I did get the opportunity to drive the GTV6, an experience I will never forget, I hope one day that I can repeat this once I've taken my GTV6 from it's present state through to one of originality but better in terms of handling etc etc.

I live in central Scotland, 40 yr old I guess doing the mid life crisis thing :twisted: , spotted this car on ebay last week, several conversations with the owner followed, this car has 26 000 mls on the clock but has done a few more due to broken speedo (estimated at around 40k), it has been dry stored since 1993-94, It's all original having never been welded in any way.

The present owner recently brought her out of storage and recommisioned the engine to being able to tick over with little or no issues, the brakes and cluch are free and working.

As you can see there is a great deal to be done BUT crucially it is a blank canvas in terms of being un molested.

I will be going to collect the beastie in a few weeks time and look forward to giving updates not only here but back to the present owner, he is keen to stay in touch with my progress, being a classic car restoration person to trade he is a little sad to have to sell this lovely example.

I know the road will be long in terms of what needs to be done, hopefully here and on other internet forums, through meets where i'll chat to others who have gone through the experience before, I should end up with a good example of a 92 GTV6.

Images are at www.alfacars.co.uk/GTV6/index.htm

Feel free to get in touch direct with me rodger@alfacars.co.uk
82' 26k Dry stored since 92'... Restoration under way.

http://www.alfacars.co.uk
MD
Verde
Verde

Re: GTV68 (68 being my year of birth)

Post by MD »

Welcome to the best Forum for these cars Roger. Keep us posted on the progress and feel free to ask questions that might help.
My first tip for you is to get hold of as much accurate electrical wiring circuitry you can lay your hands on and find a reliable auto electrician as you and him will become good friends soon. :)
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
GTV68
Silver
Silver

Post by GTV68 »

MD wrote:Welcome to the best Forum for these cars Roger. Keep us posted on the progress and feel free to ask questions that might help.
My first tip for you is to get hold of as much accurate electrical wiring circuitry you can lay your hands on and find a reliable auto electrician as you and him will become good friends soon. :)
Hi MD

The present owner (petrolhead classic car restorer) has informed me that other than a stubbourn drivers window, all else electrical is in perfect working order, I take that with a large dose of salt to be honest.

Are you aware of any good workshop manuals that come recommended? I'm happy downloading if there are pdf's avaliable :)

If any information is avaliable but bandwidth is the issue I'll happily host material for members to download at their leisure.

R

Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

That's a really nice GTV6. I imagine Scotland is a fun place to drive an Alfa.

Greg Gordon,
www.hiperformancestore.com
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Roger,

UK Forum members should have better local knowledge than me in Oz but you could try these guys for manuals. http://www.veloce.co.uk/shop/index.php?. Can't say for sure, never tried it.
I use a combination of old Haines manuals and local auto electricians when I get really stuck.

Even if all the electrics are working fine, you should update the loom by minimising high current loads through the ignition switch and the lighting stalk assembly. Both these items will fail in due course owing to excessive current loads through them.

Electrical reliability is paramount for minimal nuisance in any car.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

http://www.cardisc.com/

Try this its pretty complete.

hth,

zig
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
GTV68
Silver
Silver

Post by GTV68 »

My GTV6 arrived today... I'm in awe of the condition to be honest, a few images to wet the appetite.

Many thanks for the information folks, I'll be back soon with more updates and probably a reasonable parts list.

Oh before i forget been dry stored since 91' :shock:
Attachments
IMG_0020.jpg
IMG_0020.jpg (49.85 KiB) Viewed 11299 times
IMG_0019.jpg
IMG_0019.jpg (62.32 KiB) Viewed 11297 times
IMG_0017.jpg
IMG_0017.jpg (69.21 KiB) Viewed 11292 times
IMG_0016.jpg
IMG_0016.jpg (66.17 KiB) Viewed 11297 times

hardalfa
Silver
Silver

Post by hardalfa »

Thats a very nice looking GTV6 there it seems like its an original unmolested car, those are hard to come by these days. I hope you have a lot of fun with her. Good luck.
GTV68
Silver
Silver

Post by GTV68 »

UPDATE: 161208

Not much has happened during the past couple of weeks, I fitted a new battery and took out the cold start fix that had been rigged since the 'combination relay' had been deemed to be the problem, I have a new part on order which should be here this weekend, hopefully all will be well and the v6 will crank up into life, this will give me the chance to let her warm up for the first time in around 16 years (gently does it :) ).

I've taken the plunge too with a fairly major purchase, hopefully on Friday I'll take delivery of CSC Manifolds & Downpipes :shock: that should keep me occupied for the weekend, I checked over the mid section which appears stock along with the ANSA back box at the weekend, whilst i cant be sure until she's up and running, on sight alone they look in good condition.

both exhaust & combination relay were ordered via http://www.ebspares.co.uk .... ask for jason he seems pretty switched on.

Once she fires up I'll get to work doing some basic checks on all the electricals, all looks good for now but time will i'm sure tell as i work my way around the car.

Quick question for all, the dash in my car pictured above seems to be early spec, does anyone have a similar dash on their GTV6? I like it's quirkyness (not sure if thats a word) but have to admit i like also the all in one dash too, I have the speedo central in front of the steering wheel, i wonder if it's possible to switch and have the rev counter there?

I trawled the cardisc dvd but cannot find any images of a similar dash to mine, just wondering how rare this set up is ?

AlfaTipo
Gold
Gold

Post by AlfaTipo »

Viewing the photos I'm glad to say that Portland Oregon doesn't use salt to de-ice roads even though we are going through an unseasonable cold snap with a layer of snow and ice on the road.

I suspect most UK cars have similar rust issues by now. Not such a problem here in the US, particularly the Pacific NW. My first GTV6 in the UK (original Gina) had rust areas at less than 4 years old.

Great looking car and I really love the earlier dash layout. I would like to change over to it sometime.

There are only a few GTV6's that have that dash in the UK. The dealers had a dash that was an intermediate 'fix' before the updated dash was adopted worldwide (I believe). This version used the original instruments with a small digital clock toward the center. Looked a little home grown. I added some photos of the eraly UK dealer dashboard.
GTV6 UK Dash_01.jpg
GTV6 UK Dash_01.jpg (29.16 KiB) Viewed 11105 times
GTV6 UK Dash_02.jpg
GTV6 UK Dash_02.jpg (27.01 KiB) Viewed 11100 times
Originally, the tach was in front of the driver but due to bad press and owner comments the dealers (could have been the factory) swapped the tach/speedo position. Changing back should not be an issue. Not sure about wiring length, you may have to lengthen the tach cable but I doubt it.

The 76-81 Alfetta GTV had these dashes, the Haynes Alfetta manual has some info on the dash that may help with your GTV6.

Good luck with the restoration!
Jef
85 GTV6 'Gina G2' Shankle cams and headers Resting Serious rebuild in the future
85 GTV6 'Gina G3' Sold but missed.
www.motozane.com
GTV68
Silver
Silver

Post by GTV68 »

Hi Tipo

Thanks for the info on the dash, I'm not sure where I'll go with it for now, I would like the Tach swapped with the speedo however the dash is in such excellent condition I think it's one for next summer when alot of patience will have to be excersized when doing the changeover.

On another note I may be placing an order for your GTV6/Milano Fuel Pump Mounts, I believe mine need replaced, I'll be checking over the weekend when I'm scrambling around underside fitting my CSC headers and downpipes :).

I've only just completed the build of my timber garage here in scotland, it's not huge but does afford me plenty space to work around the car, just awaiting some shelving and rubber matting to get a little closer to completion which will be good and allow me to get on with the resto.

Pics to follow... lots of them as I make progress over the next few months :D

Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

That's a really cool dash. I have not seen one like that in a picture in years, and I have never seen one in person.

Greg
Pete-V6
Silver
Silver

Post by Pete-V6 »

Hi
Nice looking car.

Regarding your questions, cardisc manual are available in the UK from Highwood Alfa, as are many GTV spares.

Also, get to know Alex Jupe of Alex Jupe Motorsport, he probably knows more about Alfettas than anyone else in the UK. And he's a really helpful guy.

Personally I love the split dash. It was used on early GTV6's in the UK till about 1982 (now called the mk2), then they introduced the funny locally made dash which had the split dash instruments in a single pod. Personally I think it looks bad, but others love it. Mk 3 with LHD style instruments was introduced in 1985.

Have fun
GTV68
Silver
Silver

Post by GTV68 »

Pete-V6 wrote:Hi
Nice looking car.

Regarding your questions, cardisc manual are available in the UK from Highwood Alfa, as are many GTV spares.

Also, get to know Alex Jupe of Alex Jupe Motorsport, he probably knows more about Alfettas than anyone else in the UK. And he's a really helpful guy.

Personally I love the split dash. It was used on early GTV6's in the UK till about 1982 (now called the mk2), then they introduced the funny locally made dash which had the split dash instruments in a single pod. Personally I think it looks bad, but others love it. Mk 3 with LHD style instruments was introduced in 1985.

Have fun
Hi Pete

I recieved my cardic CD this week, looks like it will be used alot as the months pass.

I've spoken to Alex too, he comes accross as a real expert and a nice guy, I hope to do business with Alex at some point next year, I do however want to carry out as much work as possible locally and hopefully myself... 40 something with much to learn here :)

The more I look at my split dash the more I appreciate it, it reflects the quirkyness of the era, I will reserve my thoughts on swapping the tach & speedo at some point :lol:

I made a nice purchase yesterday (as i'll need it when my headers and downpipes arrive, I picked up a Pro 150 piece socket & spanner set from Halfords here in the UK, lifetime warranty which appealed, all for £98.

Link to Socket Set bargain .... http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... =ClickInfo