Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

CChan,

I'm also very interested in the SMOG issue too. You can PM me if it's too..errmmm.... you know.....
Dr. Alban
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

82 GTV6 Restoration/Modification

Post by cchan »

Hello Everyone,

I just had the Alfa inspected by DMV & registered the Alfa. I have the temporary documents to drive the Alfa and just need to pass the smog. Even though I can drive the Alfa we are still towing it around. Phil and his son have been able to schedule me for tomorrow and we will be doing the dyno tune with the other tech.

I just wanted to check to see if there is anything special that I need to ask Phil or the Dyno tune person as we tune the Alfa for max HP. This is the final mechanical issues and then just need to take care of minor electrical stuff along with Speedo and tach.

Thanks for any suggestions.
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

Don't forget to remind them to tune the other parts of the map for smog and driveability.

Oh, and bring a video camera :)

Jes
87 Milano Verde - daily driver - Juliet
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car - Roxanne
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car
(Repeat or do as I say at your own risk - be critical)
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I am sure these guys know what they are doing. The only little extra issue I would suggest is to tune it for max power, then back the timing off a couple degrees for a little extra anti-detonation protection. It will only cost you about 5 horsepower, and may save you in case someone misfuels the car, or some other issue turns up.

Greg Gordon,
www.hiperformancestore.com
Turin
Silver
Silver

Post by Turin »

As a FNG, I've found this thread totally enlightening over the months, and am amazed at the scope of this project. My car will just be a fun commuter. When it's all done, I'd love to see some pics, or better yet a vid!!! :wink:
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

82 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Restoration/Modification

Post by cchan »

We met with Paul who owns the dyno tune machine with Phil and his son, Jordon to complete the dyno tuning.

After about 3 hours including hook up to dyno along with a minor tune issue (water in one of the plugs), we were able to complete the tune. We did not go for max power since this is a street car and Phil suggested along with others on this site to tune it alittle lower for safety and more reliabilty. We were able to get the paperwork to show 211 hp at the wheels which is more likely around 204 hp at the wheels.

We are happy with the result and will now be completing the final electrical issues, etc. Here are some pictures of the dyno tune.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Very good numbers! That car must be a joy to drive.

Greg
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Re: Introduction

Post by cchan »

Hello Everyone,

Ok, this is strange. I tried to post before but I recevied a debug error so I thought my post was lost. However, my post is here without the pictures so I will post them again. We were going to go to Monterey with the Alfa this week but unfortunately, after driving the Alfa from San Jose to Oakland and driving around the area, the bracket on the Alternator broke which caused a set back. Therefore, since I have no time to deal with this small issue we will not show the Alfa after all. Anyway, there is always next year and I don't want to stress out about my hobby. We will just go in another car. Thank you to the Forum for all the ideas, answers to questions, and general support. We would have never been able to learn so much without this site. I have posted the final map for all to use (Michael).
Alfa Final Dyno Tune #6a.jpg
Alfa Final Dyno Tune #6a.jpg (132.34 KiB) Viewed 6879 times
Alfa Final Dyno Tune #1a.jpg
Alfa Final Dyno Tune #1a.jpg (90.95 KiB) Viewed 6880 times
Alfa Final Dyno Tune #2a.jpg
Alfa Final Dyno Tune #2a.jpg (115.58 KiB) Viewed 6877 times
Alfa Final Dyno Tune #3a.jpg
Alfa Final Dyno Tune #3a.jpg (145.55 KiB) Viewed 6876 times
Alfa Final Dyno Tune #4a.jpg
Alfa Final Dyno Tune #4a.jpg (138.6 KiB) Viewed 6882 times
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Post by cchan »

Here is the print out of the HP that I recevied from Pauls' shop. It is a far cry from the 400hp that we originally wanted. However, we are happy with the Alfas' performance. :D :D :D

I can now say that we actually finished this project and all my parts did not end up on ebay. :wink: Hopefully, now I can have fun driving the Alfa around and fine tune the suspension, brakes, and any additional issues that I am sure will pop up. :mrgreen:
Attachments
Alfa Final Dyno Tune #7a.jpg
Alfa Final Dyno Tune #7a.jpg (88.43 KiB) Viewed 6874 times
Rookie ROX
Gold
Gold

Post by Rookie ROX »

Those torque figures are crazy!

Nice power curve though. Still looks good on the back of a truck! :lol:

ROCK ON
R~R
Daniel
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Daniel »

Remember Rookie, there's a gearbox & diff multiplying that torque.

Great power there Chuck - wish I could get mine to that stage.
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Post by cchan »

Hi Rookie Rox,

The torque on this graph is high indeed and I originally thought is was an error on tagging the correct file. However another Alfa Fan told me the following:

"Awesome car. On your dino graph I think the torque is the actual torque measured at the wheels whick is 4.1 times the torque at the crank due to the gear ratio.

HP=torque*rpm/5252.

So at 6200rpm the crank torque is 176.5 ft.lb and if you plug this into the equation you get the displayed 208.5 hp.

Jeff"

I think that the above quote makes sense and hopefully everyone agrees with this. Please let me know if this is correct.

Thank you for looking at my project.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

There is no 1:1 ratio in the speedgears so probably fourth gear is used, 0.946 (?) which must be added too.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Rookie ROX
Gold
Gold

Post by Rookie ROX »

cchan wrote:Hi Rookie Rox,

The torque on this graph is high indeed and I originally thought is was an error on tagging the correct file. However another Alfa Fan told me the following:
<snip>
I think that the above quote makes sense and hopefully everyone agrees with this. Please let me know if this is correct.
Yes you're correct, I missed the photo on it on the dyno and just saw the other flattering shots and the readout :lol:

ROCK ON
R~R
AlfaAnthony
Silver
Silver

Post by AlfaAnthony »

How about sharing with us info on the custom TPS that you got or had made? I have been trying to get my Alfa 3.0 to run on TPS with GoTech. It runs fine on MAP but I want to give TPS a go.

Tony
NY