Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Re: Hi from a Lancia Nut!!

Post by Greg Gordon »

Hi Darren,

To order a book from my site, it's best to email us. Then Misty can send you a correct Pay Pal invoice. As an alternative, your friend in Philly can call us and pay over the phone with a credit card. Either way is fine with us.

Greg
Lancianut69
Gold
Gold

Post by Lancianut69 »

Bruce wrote:That it does, however, the 24v is lower geared to compensate for the different torque characteristics and also it revs to over 7000rpm, the scream of these engines at high revs is insane.
These are long-lived engines if treated correctly and 12v's as you said, are getting rare and even to rebuild one of these will cost you near £1000.
The way it looks at the moment, the only option is going to be a 24 valve unit as there don't seem to be any 12 valve units for sale! Keeping an eye out though.

Cheers

Darren
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

Greg Gordon wrote:Hi Fedezyl,

I am still on the 727, at least for now. I fully expect to be out of work any day now as my airline is parking it's entire fleet. However, at least I passed my recurrent training so I am safe to fly for another year! Hopefully I can get another job as a pilot.

Good luck in you training, I know you have been on the 73 for a while so I am sure it will go well.

Greg Gordon,
http://www.hiperformancestore.com

Well i'm on a CRJ 900 now....right after they returned our 767 that was flying to Madrid and that I was going to go to the sim, challenging times in aviation to say the least....Are you flying for DHL? I kinda always had that idea in my head...

I guess we just have to be patient....

Since you mentioned your book earlier, how can I order it? should I send Misty an email??

cheers
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Hi Fedezyl,

I am glad you are on the CRJ, it's a cool plane that has a future. Sadly it seems the 727's days are numbered in the U.S.

In the current environment, I can't say who I am flying for because they would probably use it as a reason to fire me, but it's the same outfit I have been working for since I showed up on this forum.

To order a book, just send Misty and email and she will send back a pay pal invoice with the correct shipping about. Of course in the U.S. you can just call and she can take a phone order with a credit card.

Greg
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

Greg Gordon wrote:Hi Fedezyl,

I am glad you are on the CRJ, it's a cool plane that has a future. Sadly it seems the 727's days are numbered in the U.S.

In the current environment, I can't say who I am flying for because they would probably use it as a reason to fire me, but it's the same outfit I have been working for since I showed up on this forum.

To order a book, just send Misty and email and she will send back a pay pal invoice with the correct shipping about. Of course in the U.S. you can just call and she can take a phone order with a credit card.

Greg

Sad to hear they get so iffy about mentioning it, I like the CRJ, the only bad thing was downisizing, considering I was flying the old 737 200 it wasn't that bad as I get some glass cockpit time, what really sucked was being pulled out of the 767 though....but well...life is life..

I'll try giving Misty a call this week so we can arrange everything...

I hope you're still looking onto flying jets though right?
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I am trying to get another jet job. If not, perhaps Jiffy Lube will hire me!

Greg
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Greg,

From a passenger perspective I much prefer a 737-800 to a CRJ900 :) .

I read about D** shutting it's US express air fleet down, that sucks. Fuel prices are at an all time low, why would they want to do that? I thought you also flew international routes?

BTW, have you looked at some international airlines? Etihad, EVA, Korean, Asiana, etc? They might be hiring. But that would suck for hiperformance store if you had to fly for foreign airlines as you would spend lots of time away.

OK now back to the topic at hand, I like 24V because emission wise they are cleaner for the same amount of power output.

Now this may not be a concern if your car doesn't have to go on a smog dyno every 2 years.

Also 12Vs are sort of abundant here. You may even find some from Vince Bachu in Birmingham or other Alfa wreckers (I think original poster is from the UK?).
Dr. Alban
Lancianut69
Gold
Gold

Post by Lancianut69 »

Greg Gordon wrote:Hi Darren,

To order a book from my site, it's best to email us. Then Misty can send you a correct Pay Pal invoice. As an alternative, your friend in Philly can call us and pay over the phone with a credit card. Either way is fine with us.

Greg
Thanks for that Greg - I'll drop him an email and ask him to get in touch. I assume that your book will be relevant to the 24 valve engine as well? The reason I ask is that I am having difficulty locating a 12 valve engine at the mo, and 24 valve units with the 166 six speed box are a lot more common in the UK.

Cheers

Darren
Lancianut69
Gold
Gold

Post by Lancianut69 »

Zamani wrote:Greg,

OK now back to the topic at hand, I like 24V because emission wise they are cleaner for the same amount of power output.

Now this may not be a concern if your car doesn't have to go on a smog dyno every 2 years.

Also 12Vs are sort of abundant here. You may even find some from Vince Bachu in Birmingham or other Alfa wreckers (I think original poster is from the UK?).
Hey there Dr Alban,

Good point for the case of the 24 valve, although we don't have all the smog equipment to contend with over here. We do have emissions though as part of the MOT, but I don't see it being a problem. Will be running on Megasquirt - custom exhaust, probably without CATs unless there is a good reason to have them.

I haven't seen any 12 valves advertised since I joined this forum and before. In the same time, there have been many many 24 valves in varius guises, from complete cars between 900 GBP upwards and engine.transmissions from 500 quid upwards. Birmingham UK good - Birmingham US bad for me over here!! ;o))

It's getting more and more difficult not to go with the 24 valve option at the mo, leave it more or less standard and add an M62 blower at a later date.

Cheers

Darren
SimonB
Gold
Gold

Post by SimonB »

Vince is in Birmingham UK. See www.gtvince.com.
¡Si me gusta conducir, es porque conduzco un Alfa!

'84 GTV6 UK spec back on the road after 4 years!
05 Corolla daily driver
Lancianut69
Gold
Gold

Post by Lancianut69 »

SimonB wrote:Vince is in Birmingham UK. See http://www.gtvince.com.
Doh! Watta mistaka to make-a!! Thanks for the link - i'll check it out!!

Cheers

Darren
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Hi Zamani,

I was on the 727 (I still am technically, but they are almost all parked), it flew everywhere in North America, so most of my international flying was to Mexico and Canada. The 727 is actually dirty cheap to operate right now due to the combination of low fuel prices, super low hull insurance costs, and the fact they they own them outright and thus, have no payments. So, it really doesn't make sense, but those decisions are way above my job level. In short, the foreign owned post office that bought my company and one other large U.S. freight company mismanaged both so badly then went from making billions to loosing over 1 billion a year. I will try for some of the foreign carriers but there is a huge oversupply of pilots out of work right now.

Onto more exciting subjects! All of my supercharging work has been on the 12 valve and the Nord 4cyl. In the U.S. it's the 24valver that's rare. I honestly think I have only seen three or four in my life, and only worked on one once. If the engine is super common in Europe than it's probable that the parts are not super expensive relative to the 12 valver. For example surely somebody who works on these things all the time has come up with an alternative to $45 a piece valve guides. Now that I think about it, I'll bet Barry has that worked out.

Regarding my book, it's absolutely relevant for the 24 valver. It's not written specifically for any one engine. I would probably want a M90 for an Alfa 3.0 24 valver. The M62 is really huffing and puffing above 300-350 horsepower and if you are building a supercharged 24V you will probably have a target horsepower above that amount.

Greg
Lancianut69
Gold
Gold

Post by Lancianut69 »

Greg Gordon wrote:Hi Zamani,

Onto more exciting subjects! All of my supercharging work has been on the 12 valve and the Nord 4cyl. In the U.S. it's the 24valver that's rare. I honestly think I have only seen three or four in my life, and only worked on one once. If the engine is super common in Europe than it's probable that the parts are not super expensive relative to the 12 valver. For example surely somebody who works on these things all the time has come up with an alternative to $45 a piece valve guides. Now that I think about it, I'll bet Barry has that worked out.

Regarding my book, it's absolutely relevant for the 24 valver. It's not written specifically for any one engine. I would probably want a M90 for an Alfa 3.0 24 valver. The M62 is really huffing and puffing above 300-350 horsepower and if you are building a supercharged 24V you will probably have a target horsepower above that amount.

Greg
Hi Greg,

It's funny how different cars are more or less rare in different countries. I have emailed my mate and he will in touch either by phone or email to Misty to order up a copy of your book - can't wait to start reading it! As far as final choice of powerplant is concerned - will depend on what's on offer here. I've dropped a email to GTVince and we'll see what we get. Thanks for advice on the blower - very good to know, I'd hate to go through fitting only to find it really needs to be bigger!

Thanks again to everyone for their help and advice!

Cheers

Darren
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Darren,

Best to give Vince a ring, he isn't too great with replying emails.

Cheers.
Dr. Alban
Lancianut69
Gold
Gold

Post by Lancianut69 »

Zamani wrote:Darren,

Best to give Vince a ring, he isn't too great with replying emails.

Cheers.
Hello again - he certainly seems to have improved some! Got this 'Hi

I have a complete 1991 J reg 164 3.0 V6 running but now on sorn and been
standing since last July, the engine is complete with all ancillaries and still
drives.

I am open to sensible offers for the engine/box.'

Now, I need some advice here - I've been offered a 12 valve for free if can wait til later in the year - point 1, which if I go for this one, I'm inclined to take as a spare, especially if it's going to get binned anyway. I don't want to insult Vince and nor do I want to pay over the odds. What is a reasonable price to pay for the engine/box and engine loom? Or if the bits aren't on offer, what's a fair price to pay for a car that obviously needs work for an MOT? Spotted this on another site

'Alfa 164 3.0 V6 12v Lusso 1991 Mot failure, good engine/box, still runs Ideal project or spares car. Contact 0121 706 0488 / 07817 237295 WWW.GTVINCE.COM Email: gtvince30@aol.com'

Thanks guys

Darren